Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
  • Glad someone sees sense.
  • Fucking page turns. No one, no one sees sense. There is no sense to see.
  • If i can afford to tip bar and waiting staff evey so often and i’m earning less than £9k a year, so can the rest of ye.
  • I’ve caught shit over tipping before, but not for not tipping, just for actually tipping. Wife looks uncomfortable every time we tip as in China it just doesn’t happen - the staff push back hard if you even try.

The result is that restaurants or bars she thinks are already overpriced (compared to China) become even more expensive.

She’s a bit better with it now, but yeah...I squirmed the first few times she loudly asked why we were tipping the staff while still sat in the restaurant in-front of the equally uncomfortable looking staff member.
  • All i’m saying is that i’m not surprised the tories keep winning after this thread. Just saying! Just saying!
  • What if you’re supporting the Tory effort to subjugate the working man through sub-par wages by voluntarily topping up their income with tips? Eh? What if you’re the problem? (Just saying.)
  • Yeah, there’s deffo a libertarian take that tips encourage dependence on otherwise unsustainable employment thus trapping people in a cycle of underachievement.

There’s only one solution:

Ban pubs.
  • Libertarian take my whole entire ass
  • I get a lot of £50s when people pay for cars in cash.

I did get refused paying for breakfast in a pub in Sheffield once.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Tempy wrote:
    take my whole entire ass

Would you expect a tip?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tipping is de rigeur in the States. It's that what you want, hm? A full on capitalist gigging and tipping pay system? Cos that's what you're getting!
  • I tip my hairdresser. No idea where I picked up that habit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He probably has a scissors in his hand.
  • I was in a corner shop on Ocean Road in South Shields a good few years back, and the shopkeeper went mental at me because I handed him a Bank of Scotland £10 to pay.

This started a row with local people in the queue behind me shouting at him about it being legal tender.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Try with an Ulster ten pound note. Apparently, they're not even legal tender in England, which is pretty ridiculous.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Subhuman scum.

Dial it back, Tempy.
  • It's an Alan Partridge reference.
  • No one tipped me when I worked in WH Smith's on minimum wage. What's the difference?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Tempy wrote:
    All i’m saying is that i’m not surprised the tories keep winning after this thread. Just saying! Just saying!

Wait, shit.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's an Alan Partridge reference.

Does that mean the rest is hyperbole? It’s been hard to judge your tone in your last few posts.
  • No one tipped me when I worked in WH Smith's on minimum wage. What's the difference?

No one tipped me at any of my minimum wage retail jobs I have done either, so I dunno. I just tip service staff primarily cos it's shittier than retail in my experience. Minimum wage is shite and people should get Living Wage as a minimum. I just like reading people jump through their own mental hoops to explain why they don't just bung in the 10-90p they've got left over after rounding up/down from last pound in a round and getting furious and punching the giant frozen slab of meat I keep in my spare room.
  • Andy wrote:
    It's an Alan Partridge reference.
    Does that mean the rest is hyperbole? It’s been hard to judge your tone in your last few posts.

I'm sure you'll live!

And of course it's primarily tongue in cheek. Like I say above, it's just amusing watching people do the dance of "oh but it'll offend people if I tip them" or "oh I do half the work by walking to the till!" etc

I'd literally murder someone for not tipping me by the way, I say this every weekend under my breath to every customer who doesn't tip me.
  • Tempy, I didn’t really want to do this, but need I remind you that you’ve been on the receiving end of the generosity of various members of this forum, so attacking us for how we choose to distribute disposable income is not a good look?
  • I am swinging between being entirely jovial about this and being utterly deadly serious because I am mentally wounded from still being on minimum wage jobs at 32.
  • Andy wrote:
    Tempy, I didn’t really want to do this, but need I remind you that you’ve been on the receiving end of the generosity of various members of this forum, so attacking us for how we choose to distribute disposable income is not a good look?

Yes I know this, and I have been generous to people on this forum too and if people are personally offended because they have been generous in the past and I am making light of the fact that people don't tip a lot then so be it.
  • For charity's sake let's drop the joke and say I don't really care to the degree the hyperbole might suggest, but I think people in general should tip more cos shit's tough out there.

To anyone offended - my apologies, venting is cathartic. I love all of you equally.
  • I think Andy was just trying to give you a tip...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But tipping isn't really a custom, so it's not strange not to get them. I mean it's not people being mean, they just wouldn't think to do it any more than they'd think to bow or curtsy as a sign of respect. I suppose anyway, can't speak for England, obviously.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!