Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
  • I hate tipping. My experiance of it was girls with big tits being given a fiver for pulling a few pints and me getting nothing for making 4 cocktails.

I'd much rather we paid everyone properly.
  • It's much better when tips are collected and split equally.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's much better when tips are collected and split equally.

I disagree with this. I agree with tip sharing but the bigger share should go to the customer facing staff. I've worked every position in bars and restaurants and while being a kp is damn hard work, the pressure from being a waiter stuck with a table of 8 dick heads just doesn't come close.

I guess because of the industry I'm in I tend to tip a lot - bar staff, taxi, delivery person, waiter - even if everything was only OK, I generally tip. I've even tipped on poor performance where I felt the person was trying but just not very good.

SFV - reddave360
  • I don't mind it being split proportionately, but for speed we just split equally.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't mind it being split proportionately, but for speed we just split equally.

As long as the company doesn't take any, I don't mind really.

Although I get annoyed when people feel managers shouldn't get a share. They do as much, if not more, running about than anyone.

Highers up look myself who don't need to work nights or weekends though? Yeah, we don't need the tip.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No one tipped me when I worked in WH Smith's on minimum wage. What's the difference?

When I worked minimum wage in burger King, dealing with drunks every night after kicking out time from the pubs, no one ever tipped me either.

• Anyway, kneecaps eh. Fucking Irish, fucking our shit up like they did our neato brexit thingy
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • No one tipped me when I worked in WH Smith's on minimum wage. What's the difference?

When I worked minimum wage in burger King, dealing with drunks every night after kicking out time from the pubs, no one ever tipped me either.

I do apologise for that. It was a really bad time for me and them double whoppers really soaked up the booze.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Double whoppers were amazing. With bacon and onion rings even more so.
  • XL bacon double cheeseburger is the right answer, every single time.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bacon on a burger is almost always a waste, imo. You pay over the odds for a tiny slither of bacon that barely registers on the taste. I love bacon, I love a bacon bap, bacon sandwich, whatever, but it's never really worth it in a chain burger, I find. Like adding cheese in a Wahaca burrito.
  • I only tip barstaff when they're good. The problem is 99% of the barstaff I come into contact with are utter shit. It fucks me off no end because I did it for so long and know that good bar staff can make or break a pub/bar/club.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Do tell what makes them shit, please.
  • Acting like the people they're serving drinks to are an inconvenience? Surely this isn't just a London thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The old school traditional barmen Madrid are famous for being massively rude pricks. They practically throw your drink at you.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Acting like the people they're serving drinks to are an inconvenience? Surely this isn't just a London thing.

I think it stops around Leeds.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I usually tip taxi drivers and I always tip my hairdresser - even though she owns the place.

In loud busy bars and the change is £2-3 I'll say to keep it. Waiters and waitresses get far more - we do have them in some of the better NI bars but it's more the case in hotels - esp. at weddings. The closest thing I have to a local I will usually ask the barman to have one for himself. Quite often we get waiter service off him - it's traditional to get that in this bar because it's small and you are out of the way then. A raise of the finger means same again. He is the manager and I know he is extremely well paid - he was headhunted from the nearby Culloden Hotel which is pretty posh.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Do tell what makes them shit, please.

1) Not acknowledging you when you arrive at the bar
    2) Glass collecting or faffing around the back back when you could be serving a customer. I literally had this guy fuck around doing nothing for about 5 minutes while the one other person serving was taking ages serving a guy a massive round. Clocked me three times then eventually when he had nothing else to do decided to serve me. Prick. 
    3) Don't know who's next or serve in some stupid fucking way (like left to right, then right to left - as opposed to left to right then left to right again). Serve the opposite sex first (typically men serving hot women is the problem)
    4) Standing there with a face of thunder consistently like they hate being there
    5) Repeatedly asking me again and again for the order 

It's just basic stuff. Let me know the next time you're in London and i'll take you to the Monument pub. I'm that confident in how poor the staff are there universally that I can guarantee you'll see 3 out of the 5 traits above displayed. I'm tempted to go-pro it to prove my point.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Shit lads he actually answered

Mk gimme a min I'm gonna need to process this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've hated this whole conversation being in the exact tempy place and not being in a time /place to comment on it due to my job.

I fucking hate it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Bacon on a burger is almost always a waste, imo. You pay over the odds for a tiny slither of bacon that barely registers on the taste. I love bacon, I love a bacon bap, bacon sandwich, whatever, but it's never really worth it in a chain burger, I find. Like adding cheese in a Wahaca burrito.

Yeah. It's not halal neither bud
  • mk64 wrote:
    Do tell what makes them shit, please.

1) Not acknowledging you when you arrive at the bar
    2) Glass collecting or faffing around the back back when you could be serving a customer. I literally had this guy fuck around doing nothing for about 5 minutes while the one other person serving was taking ages serving a guy a massive round. Clocked me three times then eventually when he had nothing else to do decided to serve me. Prick. 
    3) Don't know who's next or serve in some stupid fucking way (like left to right, then right to left - as opposed to left to right then left to right again). Serve the opposite sex first (typically men serving hot women is the problem)
    4) Standing there with a face of thunder consistently like they hate being there
    5) Repeatedly asking me again and again for the order 

It's just basic stuff. Let me know the next time you're in London and i'll take you to the Monument pub. I'm that confident in how poor the staff are there universally that I can guarantee you'll see 3 out of the 5 traits above displayed. I'm tempted to go-pro it to prove my point.

I do apologise for that. It was a really bad time for me and that bar job was the only way I could sneak out some booze to drink on the way to Burger King.
  • XL bacon double cheeseburger is the right answer, every single time.

My man!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Like and thumbs up if you wanna see mk take a go-pro to the monument pub, lads. Smash that like button
  • 4 is amaze, reminds me of this.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Don't you lot have something else to do?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Only just watched that clip. I guarantee you that the Chinese restaurant that Phil Jupitus references is Wong Kei’s.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I love that place, been ages though. Is it even still there actually??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Appears to be:

http://wongkeilondon.com/m

The menu not available at this time message is very on-brand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!