Are 50 pound notes genuinely rare in the UK?
  • Sounds amazing. I wanna go!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a Wikipedia entry which is mostly based on how rude the staff are:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Kei
  • That’s fantastic. And, I’ll note, one of the reasons for rudeness was insufficient tipping (of the rude staff). Case closed.
  • Anyway, kneecaps eh. Fucking Irish, fucking our shit up like they did our neato brexit thingy

That's what I'm here for.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yeah Wong Kei is or certainly was legit. Been going there since the '80s precisely because they give so few fucks.

We called it Wonky's, obviously.
  • I’m actually wondering what the Chinese name is supposed to be. “Kei” in pinyin is super uncommon. The only related characters I can find (though more almost certainly exist) are words which mean “to scold” or “to beat”. Seems appropriate.
  • Although Kei could be much more common in Cantonese, so could be that.
  • Upstairs Downstairs, it's a cracking place and good prices. Salted chili pork on rice, standard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was in Wonky's once many years ago. Was pretty drunk and is the only time I've ever successfully eaten with chopsticks because the guys were afraid to ask for a knife and fork.

I remember it being large and being upstairs.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have hated this chat and would like to refer those.whl were around at the time to the 3,000 word diatribe I posted following 5 years working in a minimum wage job at a "4 star hotel" in Glasgow from 2002-2007 which landed on the oldrum
  • It's going very well.

Evergreen post.
  • Although Kei could be much more common in Cantonese, so could be that.
    It's key. Used to be owned by Cantonese and my wife (Cantonese) pronounces it that way.

@Brooks it was sold a couple of years ago to mainland Chinese. Most of the staff have left and been replaced but it's still basically the same.

I thought everyone in London knew the Wong Kei, it's like the tower of London of Chinatown.

Edit
    Btw.
    I've been to China and Hong Kong more than I can count and by the far best Chinese soup/roast pork/crispy pork I've ever had has been in the Wong Kei.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I've never had bad / angry service there either unless you consider being told 'upstairs' is bad service. They don't wait to slam the bill down after you've finished but hey they're busy.

Went once and this couple were there acting really awkward and asking if they could sit somewhere else, not on a table with others. Ha, m8, sit down.
  • How much are you supposed to tip a junkie? 15%?

I just don't often have a 5cent coin on me after the request for the euuuuurrrrrro.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Just buy them heroin. Seeing the look on their faces is always worth the extra trouble. Tip booze.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Although Kei could be much more common in Cantonese, so could be that.
    It's key. Used to be owned by Cantonese and my wife (Cantonese) pronounces it that way.

@Brooks it was sold a couple of years ago to mainland Chinese. Most of the staff have left and been replaced but it's still basically the same.

I thought everyone in London knew the Wong Kei, it's like the tower of London of Chinatown.

Edit
    Btw.
    I've been to China and Hong Kong more than I can count and by the far best Chinese soup/roast pork/crispy pork I've ever had has been in the Wong Kei.

Ah, cool - thanks for the clarification. And yes, was wondering about food quality. Might check it out next time I’m in town.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!