Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • And also 70% of Hugh Grants dialogue.

I really like Notting Hill, but then I will watch anything with Julia Roberts in it.
  • I didn't hate it but it just compares poorly to the film I watched a couple of days ago is all. Should have watched a buffer film before it
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Was never a fan of Roberts then I watched Closer.
  • ...but then I will watch anything with Julia Roberts in it.

Aye watch Pretty Woman (again), Shabba. It is ungodly how attractive she is in that film.

Easily on a par with wHmS in the romcom stakes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The new series of The Movies That Made Us on Netflix has an episode on Pretty Woman. It’s worth a watch, because the film had such a tortuous development process. (The episode on Back to the Future, on the other hand, is crap. Don’t bother.)
  • poprock wrote:
    (The episode on Back to the Future, on the other hand, is crap. Don’t bother.)

Does it focus exclusively on the sexual ramifications?
  • No, that might be a discussion worth watching.

The show’s generally about what issues were overcome in getting from an original script to a finished movie. With Pretty Woman there’s a lot to talk about - the OG script is barely recognisable as the same film. With Back to the Future they only ever had two issues - changing the lead and then changing the ending to save money. A whole hour on two changes is pretty dull viewing.
  • I watched Fast and Furious 9 last night with the kids. It's not often I'm lost for words but it is clearly the most ridiculous film I think I have ever seen since Armageddon
    Spoiler:
    The film is seemingly obsessed with super powered electromagnets and uses them in every conceivable way which in itself is a bit random for a car film.

What is more impressive is that after reading the plot they got Helen Mirren and Charlise Theron to sign up to it.

Some of the set pieces are good fun (There's a few good chases in and around Edinburgh)
    and the kids loved it. Not sure it was aimed at me tbf but I'd recommend people watch it just for the sheer wtf is going on spectacle !
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • 59. Stir Crazy
    Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in prison break comedy that hasn't aged at all well. First hour is actually pretty funny but then it falls off a cliff and gets very boring very quickly. One best left in the past. 5

60. The Gentlemen
    Entertaining Guy Ritchie crime caper with a pretty great cast, the usual complicated twisty turny plot but a surprising lack of laughs. Decent enough. 7

61. Black Widow
    Better than I thought it was going to be and a great send off for ScarJo. Bonus points for having David Harbor in it too. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    57. Mississippi Burning - Defoe and Hackman on top form with a supreme supporting cast. A film you’d hope was past history, sadly not.

58. Donnie Darko - Been a long while since watching this. Still holds up as a classic, intriguing time travel tale.

59. Promising Young Woman - Wow. Mulligan is amazing and such brilliant film that switches tack several times without once leaving it’s core message. And Act IIII oof.
  • 77. Paddington
    Still great, still hilarious. Made all the better because it lead to them making the perfect Paddington 2. It's the magical realism elements in this that really sell it.
    [9]

78. Jungle Cruise
    I enjoyed this quite a lot, there's some cracking one liners early on. Shame it goes a bit Pirates sequels and less simple like the first one or The Mummy. Also less is more needs to apply for effects, or "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Plemens is phenomenal.
    [6]

79. Censor
    Probably would have dug this is a bit more if Saint Maud didn't exist. Solid, confident filmmaking in this and a cool setting. Just done better elsewhere for me
    [7]

Caught the end of the original Pirates recently. I'd forgotten how impressive and clever the effects work was in that final fight with them going in and out of the moonlight. Insane technical marvel. Jungle Cruise has some great stuff too but it's never used to it's fullest and it's done without any real imagination in its implementation. Pirates showed how cool ideas should lead the charge on effects work and not effects work leading the charge for effects work sake.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    57. Mississippi Burning - Defoe and Hackman on top form with a supreme supporting cast. A film you’d hope was past history, sadly not.

Stone cold classic. Hackman is mesmerising in this. And when he does a scene with R Lee Ermey - 2 ex-marines facing off - the air crackles.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • For me one of Hackmans best performances was in Crimson Tide. Jesus he is hard to like as a character in that.
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. He's a bollocks in that all right.
  • If there's ever one event that might tempt me back to a cinema in these Covid riddled times it might be the PCC hosting an all night long Nic Cage Marathon. 5 Nic Cage movies back to back including "The Rock" , "Con Air" , "Face Off" , a "mystery cage choice" and then "Mandy" to finish.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Leaving Las Vegas is my pick.

Of course Con Air and The Rock are among my favourites in a different category alongside Armageddon.  :)
  • Leaving las Vegas is his best.  But I also like Face/Off.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • LFF next month, schedule out in week or so, can't wait. It's been a highlight of my year for a while and last year obvs it didn't happen, so this year I'm right up for it. Will nab a few tickets for sure, gives you a great sense of 'the industry' watching celebs and walking down the carpet yourself. Back in 2019 I saw The King, Greed and... something else, all with director/cast intros. A great event.
  • Next month as in, October :D
  • That nic cage a thon sounds epic
    PSN - minkymu
  • Melbourne Film Festival got cancelled very last minute this year. Was pretty crushed tbh. Stupid COVID.
  • 62. The Bourne Supremacy
    Still great, still makes Bond look like a geriatric joke. Greengrass directs like he's on fire and looking for a pond to jump in and that car chase is superb. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Fast and Furious 9
    It’s taken 10 films (including Hobbs & Shaw) but they’ve finally jumped the shark. F9 is a disjointed mess of action sequences barely strung together. Somehow it’s still fun, but it’s objectively rubbish.
  • I liked how Dom’s Dad’s race mechanic was the bloke from Days of Thunder. That was a nice nod.
  • 27. In the Mood for Love - 28 August
    What better way to celebrate my new TV and soundbar than with one of my all-time favourites. Skipping two of WKW’s films from the boxset and going straight to his best film as I just can’t wait to see the new restoration and transfer. And it didn’t disappoint.

Already a beautiful film, it looks and sounds better than it ever did. A perfect blend of audiovisuals and performance of an aching story, it is a true masterpiece of filmmaking.
    [10]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Might do the same once my TV is finally fucking on the wall.

Though with Chungking Express...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If there's ever one event that might tempt me back to a cinema in these Covid riddled times it might be the PCC hosting an all night long Nic Cage Marathon. 5 Nic Cage movies back to back including "The Rock" , "Con Air" , "Face Off" , a "mystery cage choice" and then "Mandy" to finish.
    Mystery should be Wicker Man or they don't understand what they are doing.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    If there's ever one event that might tempt me back to a cinema in these Covid riddled times it might be the PCC hosting an all night long Nic Cage Marathon. 5 Nic Cage movies back to back including "The Rock" , "Con Air" , "Face Off" , a "mystery cage choice" and then "Mandy" to finish.
    Mystery should be Wicker Man or they don't understand what they are doing.

NOT THE BEEEEES

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • poprock wrote:
    Fast and Furious 9
    It’s taken 10 films (including Hobbs & Shaw) but they’ve finally jumped the shark. F9 is a disjointed mess of action sequences barely strung together. Somehow it’s still fun, but it’s objectively rubbish.

I love the series but F9 was the worst kind of dumb action movie.
    A boring one.

I'm still not sure what the story was or what was supposed to be happening. The action scenes were fun but it just felt so... Dull
  • For context it's worth noting that Hobbs and Shaw was my film of the year (last year?!)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!