Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • Gremill wrote:
    67. Possessor
    Finally got around to this and it didn't disappoint. Really creepy and disturbing with great performances by the cast. 8

Great isn’t it

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Romero's 1985 Day of the Dead - but - with the special effects crew commentary.

Bags of laughs in the commentary. It gets a bit too pally as they try and name all the zombies but I enjoyed it.  Before each "gag" they tell how it was done and give their retrospective opinion on them. I think they are too hard on themselves as most stand up really well even today. There's plenty of stories about Savini and his practical jokes too which clearly went too far at times.

The story of the 2 week break during which the fridge had been turned off and after which they decided to use the pig guts anyhow show how much of a trooper the actors are.  Jesus.

The film still looks great (was playing a DVD on my BluRay player which I presume does a bit of upscaling). Of the trilogy this might be my favourite but I change my mind quite a bit between this and Dawn. This is definitely the slickest of the three. The effects guys were all very young (19-21) and they still rightly worship Tom Savini. In the commentary they say this set them up as they went on to have a career based on having this in their CV.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Day of the dead definitely grosses me out more than the others. Some of those effects... yuck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Savini's peak re physical I suspect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Home of your own is a little curate's egg from 1964. It's a 45min silent short. A comedy featuring a lineup of Brit talent such as Ronnie Barker, Peter Butterworth, Bernard Cribbens et al.

It was originally made for a large building firm's annual lunch which usually showed a short film that celebrated the achievements of the year. It's a comedy but also a bit of a statement on the status of construction work - with 4 different utilities turning up and digging the same patch of road up etc. There's also a bit of union rep/tea break shtick.

It's very well made and has aged very well - feeling more up to date than one would think. The general comedy of errors a building site can be is captured very well. Worth a look if you can ever find it. I have it on DVD (there's an interview with the producer on the disk) - it was part of a boxset of silent 60s shorts I was gifted many years ago and this is the only one I had not watched - the others have gone to the charity shop (which is not a comment on the quality - they were all pretty good and felt more modern than expected). This is probably the pick of the set.

By all accounts it really struck a chord with audiences of the day. It was considered a comment on the general incompetence of government and business that the public felt at the time. This was the support feature at the premiere of Peter Sellers' A Shot in the Dark and apparently Sellers' co-star, George Sanders, said ,"Why did they show that first? Our film is going to deadly dull after that". Heh.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Green Knight
    I'm not familiar with the source material at all so was going into this with nothing to go off.
    I think this led me to struggle a bit with some stuff. I have read a Variety bit since and it cleared up quite a few things just by linking back to the poem.

I did however enjoy the movie despite this. It is a beautiful film, especially the colour. Some fantastic acting too, they really utilised the characters and roles to do more than just deliver lines.

I will watch again in a month or two with some knowledge banked and hopefully be able to pick up on more.
  • I'm keen to watch The Green Knight. Maybe with the gf but not sure if it's too dark for her. Without spoiling anything is it especially grim or gruesome?
  • Its not gory if thats what you mean. There's obviously some of it given the source material but its handled in an almost dream like or theatrical way. Hard to describe but not Saw like.

Tonally it is pretty grim
    There's no Smash Mouth dance routines to be had in this one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My DVD collection crawl continues. Black Hawk Down is still as rip roaring as it was when I first watched this many, many years ago. Wish I had seen it in the cinema; such is the spectacle.

While I still enjoyed it, I was slightly put off by the jingo-ism; particularly with the "satisfying" enemy kills which dates it slightly and cheapens it too. It tries to address the question of why the West sticks its beak into other peoples' business but this is essentially an action film, and a technically well made one at that. It certainly shows that war is hell at any rate.

Fun spotting the young faces (Orlando Bloom and Tom Hardy among others). The DVD has a retired special forces members commentary which might be worth a listen. Will see.
  • If you haven't already, it's worth reading the book for the history minus the jingoism.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was thinking that. One for the reading list. I don't think this DVD is a keeper any more.
  • Man Of Steel

I don't get the hate for this. Good fun superhero movie, great take on a Superman origin story and Henry Cavill is brilliant in the role.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Man Of Steel

I don't get the hate for this. Good fun superhero movie, great take on a Superman origin story and Henry Cavill is brilliant in the role.

• I liked it more than most superhero films (and I generally tend to like them while watching, the majority of the Marvel ones are fine/good, for example). The Krypton stuff didn't do it for me, and while Amy Adams absolutely does she's a poor Lois Lane. Everything else was legit. Decent action, decent Supes, decent villain, big Superman II feels. I should watch it again at some point.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Man Of Steel I don't get the hate for this. Good fun superhero movie, great take on a Superman origin story and Henry Cavill is brilliant in the role.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Definitely the worst superhero movie I've ever seen, horrible on all kinds of levels.
  • 93. The Mummy Returns
    The action is more over the top, the mythology gets muddled, and the cg regularly step past what was competently possible at the time. But dang it's still fun.
    [6]

94. Sound of Metal
    Very confidently made first feature with excellent performances and some original feeling story beats. Didn't get pulled into it as much as I thought I would though.
    [8]

95. Candyman (2021)
    I remember the original feeling like a drama with a horror edge but this was a horror film that wasn't scary with half baked drama and story threads with too much cg. Disappointing.
    [4]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The kid is my only slight irritation in Mummy Returns. He’s a little grating. Not Anakin levels of bad mind you.
  • Shame about Candyman. I've read enough unimpressed opinions to burst my hype bubble now. Love the original.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No Tony Todd no Candyman.
  • It is a shame because it's visually stunning throughout and it has some nice visual ideas as well as a criminally underused main theme song but the story is just a jumble really. Lots of snippets of things that never go anywhere or are just quickly brought up to push the iffy main story forward. And they really do lose a lot by not having Tony Todd's voice calling for you the whole time.

The most disappointing thing for me being that the scare set pieces were neither scary or surprising apart from a couple of bits. The first film has some great moments throughout. This one just never really lands any of those moments for me, it has a creepy tone but then meh payoff. It's certainly not helped by all the CG usage in those bits. I'm sure I've been fooled by fake CG blood in the past but I wish more directors would commit to dirtying up their sets a little or risking those longer shot resets if the take doesn't work. I can understand why they use it but it's just not as effective
  • Free Guy

Well that was really fun. Smiled the whole way through and had a great time. Just so charming with a surprising amount of heart. Thumbs way up from me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 68. Free Guy
    Well that was really fun. Smiled the whole way through and had a great time. Just so charming with a surprising amount of heart. Thumbs up from me. 8

• Nice. I feel like lighthearted fun and escapist action (Godzilla v Kong) has been the best thing lately in this Covid world.

Anyone watched Boss Level? Sounds like fun too
  • Boss Level is very much what you need then. It's fun, silly and fight scenes are awesome. Plus the soundtrack is excellent!!
  • 69. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Thought I'd take a gander at this again as I remember it fondly as being a lot better than a remake of a stone cold classic should have been. It's still pretty good - mainly because it's not recognisably a Zack Snyder film in the way that his recent output is. It's about a million times better than Army of the Dead too, which helps, and is pleasingly nihilistic in it's outlook. 7
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've been trying to watch the original extended cut because I've not seen it but my wifi is playing up in the bedroom for some reason so I've not got very far. Still the best zombie film going
  • Boss Level is very much what you need then. It's fun, silly and fight scenes are awesome. Plus the soundtrack is excellent!!

Sorry to be a miserable bastard, but I really disliked Boss Level. For the first 20-30 minutes it was the film I was expecting/wanting it to be, but then it felt like it massively lost it's way, mainly because it started taking itself way too seriously.  Free Guy on the other hand was absolutely the fun distraction that I was looking for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!