Movie Record 2021 Edition
  • 66. The Untouchables
    Loved this film as a teen but hadn't seen it for nearly 30 years. It's still a phenomenal film - the action sequences are thrilling (the train station sequence is a masterclass in tension and choreography), Sean Connery is superb and his death scene is still a hammer blow even though I've seen it countless times. Costner is great and Andy Garcia is brilliant in his first major film role (so cool). Morriconnes score is soooo good and even though some of the sound effects and SFX have dated a bit, it's still an absolute classic from beginning to end. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fraser is really good in Soderbergh's No Sudden Move as a big fat twat.

Edit: new page.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mummy is a proper rip roaring yarn. Pure entertainment.  Mummy 2 was good fun too even with the shit CGI.

Hobbit has a lot to enjoy, but it's too flabby.

Untouchables is a proper classic.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • If you haven't seen it yet I can recommend Jungle Cruise as a new version of The Mummy formula. I found it to be quite enjoyable and a bit of a throwback like Pirates of the Carribbean was when that came out.
    JC is a bit flabbier than The Mummy and gets a bit too CGI-fuck fest at times but the cast keep it light and breezy.
  • djchump wrote:
    Just kind of a shame that Fraser, as a big fella, put himself through all that - he had a real talent for physical comedy and action, but his knees and back are fucked now. The bigger you are, the more conditioning you need before you can throw yourself around like that.

Oh really? I didn't know that. He does that role very well.
  • 89. Singing in the Rain
    It's still great. A fun story and fun characters. Spectacular dance numbers. Would be perfect if that Gotta Dance section didn't go for so long and deflate the pace a bit.
    [9]
  • djchump wrote:
    Just kind of a shame that Fraser, as a big fella, put himself through all that - he had a real talent for physical comedy and action, but his knees and back are fucked now. The bigger you are, the more conditioning you need before you can throw yourself around like that.

Oh really? I didn't know that. He does that role very well.
    Yeah, he also may or may not have been blacklisted after the head of the HFPA Philip Berk groped him, which was a kind of “last straw” for his mental health and really knocked him 6: https://www.gq.com/story/what-ever-happened-to-brendan-fraser

I’ve always really rated him as an actor and he seemed like a nice guy too, so I’m glad to see him back at work.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s a great read. Cheers chump
  • I always assumed The Mummy would be a bit shit. Worth a watch without nostalgia do you reckon?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That’s a great read. Cheers chump

Yeah, that was excellent.  

It does however mean that I now feel like posting the following video is slightly inappropriate, but (shrugs) I think it’s meant fondly, and it certainly fits the theme…

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I always assumed The Mummy would be a bit shit. Worth a watch without nostalgia do you reckon?

The Mummy knows exactly what it is.  It’s not a cinematic masterpiece, but it’s a decent bit of Saturday Afternoon Matinee fun. I’d say it’s worth watching.  (Just avoid the sequels)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The second sequel isn’t too bad. Just a bit more of the same really. They shit the bed with the third though. Definitely avoid that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I always assumed The Mummy would be a bit shit. Worth a watch without nostalgia do you reckon?

It's worth a watch. Great silly fun. Raiders-esque in its pace.
  • Tin speaks the truth. It's still a whole bunch of fun and has some really nice practical and cg effects throughout.
  • The only Mummy film I’ve seen is the Tom Cruise remake.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You poor man.
  • The only good thing about that was the borked trailer.
  • If anyone is on a Brendan Fraser nostalgia fest, obv there’s Encino Man:

But even though I haven’t seen it in years, I still love the heart in Airheads:
  • Fraser is great in Doom Patrol (even though it's mostly voice work).
  • Sorcerer

Thanks to Boozy and his glowing recommendation.
    Wow. Talk about tense. Genuinely sweating through that bridge scene.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The 1977 film? Synopsis sounds good, I'll check it out
  • The 1977 film? Synopsis sounds good, I'll check it out
    Yea that's the one.
    I had to have a stiff drink after just to calm my nerves
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sorcerer

Thanks to Boozy and his glowing recommendation.
    Wow. Talk about tense. Genuinely sweating through that bridge scene.

Fuck! That's odd, I've been trying to track that down after seeing a copy of an amazing looking OST LP in a second hand shop in Durham. Was sold on the film from just the image on the album cover, without even knowing what it was about.

7132-DRk1-XNL-AC-SX450.jpg

It feels like it might be a film that I've already seen, but 30 years ago.
  • Where did you watch it?
  • Gremill wrote:
    Where did you watch it?

In my lounge
  • I bought the blu ray from Amazon for £7.
  • 67. Possessor
    Finally got around to this and it didn't disappoint. Really creepy and disturbing with great performances by the cast. 8
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Sorcerer Thanks to Boozy and his glowing recommendation. Wow. Talk about tense. Genuinely sweating through that bridge scene.
    Fuck! That's odd, I've been trying to track that down after seeing a copy of an amazing looking OST LP in a second hand shop in Durham. Was sold on the film from just the image on the album cover, without even knowing what it was about. 7132-DRk1-XNL-AC-SX450.jpg It feels like it might be a film that I've already seen, but 30 years ago.

Was this a production hell story? Something I only heard of recently. I hear it's very good but it got a critical roasting.
  • It released at the same time as Star Wars.
    If anythings going to sink a movie that'll do it
  • 90. Murder on the Orient Express
    Still entertaining on a subsequent watch largely due to Branagh's performance, although knowing the ending does spoil it a bit.
    [6]

91. Moulin Rouge
    It's so hectic and eclectic that it really shouldn't work. But it does, for the most part. The actors really sell it mostly I think. I don't think I've seen so much 'dropped frame effect' since I last watched Peter Jackson's King Kong.
    [7]

92. Malignant
    Wan's stuff is usually much better written, better lit, better formed than this. A shame as there's some cool stuff throughout and nice camera work. Kind wish he'd try and push himself and do something a bit different, maybe a bit more serious and less popcorn, carnival ride horror.
    [3]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!