Returnal - on PC now
  • How is this game now it's been out a while? People still hot on it?

Some finished and moved on, some bounced off, some just finishing. There’s a few of us here now that are doing a couple of Daily runs each week which is a nice way to play the game once you finish. It’s not something that eat huge amounts of time once you play through it to the end.

I love it, and it deffo has fans here, but it won’t be for everyone.
  • I would say it’s a the kind of game that’s 7 or 8 out of ten not because it’s consistently good but because it’s a 10 + 6
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I still play runs occasionally. Will eventually get the secret ending but not in any rush. Also unlocking that last power up after I’d finished the game means there are extra rooms across all biomes I’ve still not experienced. It’s still a 10 out of 10 for me and currently the game to define the PS5.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    It’s still a 10 out of 10 for me and currently the game to define the PS5.

I’ve not put anywhere near as much time in as others and I’ve not touched it in weeks after making good quick progress. But I completely agree with the above. This is the best game on the PS5 for me by a million miles. Currently trudging through R&C and it’s got absofuckingloutely nothing on this. New soundbar arrives today and that's when I’ll be going back as this game deserves the full experience.
  • Ooooh, nice. The audio work in this game is straight up god-tier.

And yeah, it’s an easy 10 from me.

Pew pew.
  • I would say it’s a the kind of game that’s 7 or 8 out of ten not because it’s consistently good but because it’s a 10 + 6

10+6?  The different acts?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I imagine basic mechanics versus some design / structural decisions. Which...I get, tbh.
  • It's still an easy GOTY so far for me. A strong 9/10 for sure. The only reason I haven't played it more recently is that I've not had time.
  • I imagine basic mechanics versus some design / structural decisions. Which...I get, tbh.

Yes this is it.

I think if you’re shit at the game like me the seams in it are more apparent. If you can get through it while everything feels novel then I think it can be amazing.

I liked playing the quick burst daily run though. That seems to be where the best marriage of mechanics and form of this game exists.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I would say it’s a the kind of game that’s 7 or 8 out of ten not because it’s consistently good but because it’s a 10 + 6

10+6?  The different acts?

Things I think are superb:
    Fighting individual monsters
    The quality of the weapons and the variations.
    Movement.
    The boldness of the story

Things I think needed more cooking time:
    Why has this got randomised levels in the way it does?
    Some environments are a bit too snaggable
    On the one hand I like the the broad level structure as a concept but I think some larger differences across the six biomes would have been fun.
  • 20 hours to get past the first boss
    Second level didn’t seem quite so bad on my first tickle
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • 20 hours to get past the first boss Second level didn’t seem quite so bad on my first tickle

You did it!  Excellent work.  

I think the second biome is actually my favourite, I liked having a bit more space to play in.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think once you’ve got the first boss down the game has clicked and you’ll find the rest fine. A challenge but a fine one. Well done! Pew pew
  • Yeah it’s no cake walk but you can feel yourself get better.
  • Nice work, Charlie.

Pew pew.
  • Ordered at £51. Bit of a shock paying that for a single game - in PC land that would cover my games for a year. :-)
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Ordered at £51. Bit of a shock paying that for a single game - in PC land that would cover my games for a year. :-)

Enjoy though, same is an absolute stormer. GotY for me, so far, easily. Shout out in here if you have any Qs and remember the most important thing:

PEW PEW

Also, notice to everyone else - dice have been rolled and the 2 days for this week are Friday and Saturday (afer re-rolling a 1, which would have meant today, and I felt that was too short notice for peeps, my apologies). Will bump and send reminders as usual, prior to the challenge days.
  • It’s official - Housemarque are now a PlayStation 1st party.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1409818300909907971
  • Finally had my review of this published in Wireframe. The most positive review I've ever written. 93%!
  • So is that a 4 or a 5?

Why 93 and not 92 or 94?

:)
  • Because.
  • And, after a few hours of playtime, the mrsmr2 opinion is:

This is very good :-)

Absolutely love the atmosphere and the audio and the controls are lovely and responsive. Obvs I'm rubbish at it but that doesn't matter at the moment.

A 3rd person shooter with the immersion of a 1st person game.
  • Welcome to the Cult Of PewPew mrsmr2.  Keep playing for the fun of it, rather than worrying about where you're up to, and you'll have a great time.

My daughter's still picking this up and playing it from time to time.  She mainly sticks to the challenges for a quick fix, but every now and then hits the game proper, asking me for advice on strategies etc. It's the first game she's played with any level of interest for a while now, and I'm really enjoying the opportunity for a bit of father-daughter time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Enjoy mrsmr2. If you have any questions there are a lot of people who can advise. Best advice I can give is I’m shite at bullet hell and roguelikes but managed to finish it. The pew pew is strong.
  • I don’t know why everyone keeps calling this a pew pew. For me it’s mostly a ft—ft-fttttweeeeeee or footumfootumfootum or pschaow pschaow.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bloody Hollowseeker players

*cough*
  • Welcome to mrsmr2 and a hearty shut the hell up to crayon - it’s PEW PEW!!

@mrsmr2 - it is a good one aye, and has atmosphere out the wazoo. As much as I love the gameplay, I think I was just as enamoured by the environments, story and sound, which is a first for me in a Housemarque game.

@therestofyoubastards

Today is daily challenge day. It’s a Friday / Saturday split this week so understandable that may not work for everyone. But if you have a spare 15 minutes, maybe try and get a run in.

Pew pew!
  • Going back to this last night after 6/7 weeks of Mass Effects and Ratchet & Crank was intense. Also, going back to the ship and having a nap doesn't refill health anymore?! Things got a little rough whilst practicing and went back for a nap and got nothing!!
    Artist also known as Verecocha...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm waiting for targets this week. Not getting trumped again!

Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss
    Please not The Abyss

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!