Thread of the Cancellèd
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Okay, let’s take Clarke as not an example of cancel culture, are there any actual examples of cancel culture from the last few years? I don’t doubt that it used to happen, but it’s been a while since I’ve come across any examples. There have been some cases of people being blatantly racist on video who have lost jobs due to their blatant racism, but other than that, who has been tried by social media and suffered consequences due to it?

I have no idea, this place is the only social media I participate in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I wonder how on earth anyone could gather enough solid evidence to even prove cancel culture is a structural ill worth getting upset about, beyond celebrities dealing with all the hot goss they've basically always had to take in one format or another. Most of the vociferous complainers seems to be antisocial shitwits in the first place.

The problem appears to be who is paying heed. Quite often those who should know better and perhaps grow a pair.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If we’re cancelling Lennon for anything, it should probably be for this:

https://www.metrolyrics.com/run-for-your-life-lyrics-beatles.html

Edit: or this:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnlennon/jealousguy.html
  • In general I can understand why big-platform social media users might be newly agitated about trying to use social media under an algorithmically enhanced shadow of suspicion and venom but there's a really fucking easy fix for that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What if we flipped this and asked why these famous artists had to be somehow kept on a pedestal for all time? I'm fairly sure Caesar isn't king big dig anymore.
  • I say pwn 'em all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blood.jpg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There's usually a massive difference between being cancelled and Watkins though. Extreme example is extreme, of course, but I like to think no-one's listened to a Lost Prophets album since.
    Jeezus that rings a bell, fucking horrendous if I recall correctly. I think he was stopped before anything happened?
    I pity the rest of the band tbh.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • nick_md wrote:
    I've decided to separate art from artist, sometimes with a few exceptions, for legacy work. I think I'd feel less inclined to accept new works from someone proved dodgy/criminal. Then again, I'm sure I have done.

i am the leader of the gang
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If we’re cancelling Lennon for anything, it should probably be for this:

https://www.metrolyrics.com/run-for-your-life-lyrics-beatles.html

That's kind of a descendant of the old blues though. There's a lot of the old 20s and 30s stuff about shooting and battering women. Much of the dodgy 60s and 70s lyrics are just paying hommage to the old blues singers.
  • Yeah, I think people can redeem themselves. The people who rage about being cancelled aren't on track to do it though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds a bit like "perfect is the enemy of good"

Supporting the art without supporting the artist is a lot trickier in the current world. So yeah I'm sure everyone here is contributing to cunts, for a start we're on the internet. I don't think that means anyone should stop trying to make any small difference that they can
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yea there's a difference between a person being investigated and tried through correct judicial process or journalistic investigation and a person being judged by social media. Social media is very much a toxic environment of knee jerk opinions and people shouting without caring about evidence.
    What if you try the justice system and conventional media and no one listens? The idea that people rush to social media is questionable. I think it's often more of a last resort for those who don't have a voice elsewhere. Of course, it's open to abuse and I get the point that it creates extreme polarising reactions too quickly. But it's a necessary avenue for some.
  • As for the art and artist thing, I just think it depends. In some cases it's too late to simply stop liking something you've liked for much of your life. Graham Linehan is an absolute nasty twat now, for example, but Father Ted will always be funny. Even Michael Jackson, I still like that 70/80s stuff. But then Gary Glitter can fuck right off with no hesitation. Or with someone like Louis CK, I think the stuff that came out about him undermines his comedy persona - the whole, 'hey we're all selfish pricks' thing, but no he really is, and worse. It doesn't seem funny now.

So I don't know, basically.
  • Yes. “It’s complicated” is the short version, and probably best left to personal morality. I’m not gonna judge anyone for playing Michael Jackson but I don’t anymore, and he’s actually dead so it barely makes sense

Spacey films are fine for me, but I wouldn’t watch something which he’s in now should he get work post revelations.

Polanski is a no

Many Weinstein films are a yes
  • The moral compass is real dodge with some of this stuff. I really don’t like the idea of a super rich man using his wealth to abuse little boys, even with the probable knowledge and blinded eye of their parents, but every Halloween I don’t half want to listen to Thriller.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I use The Beatles to get C to sleep at night. If I'm going by the proper terms I'm giving money to fandans.

Yet I actively rail against Polanski, Morrissey , Jackson, CK et Al.

I'm a scumbag hypocrite.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And Woody Allen still seems to get a pass. In spite of being maybe one of the worst. I don't think even that recent doc will shake him. Luckily I never liked his films anyway.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I’m not gonna judge anyone for playing Michael Jackson but I don’t anymore

I think that's the crux of it

I mean the whole judging shit is what "cancel culture" is, and that is toxic as fook. On the flip though, there's absolutely no doubt that metoo empowered many victims/survivors of abuse to come forward and realise that they weren't alone. Though that's very different to a simple pile-on which is unfortunately what we see rather more often
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Absolutely ‘cancel culture’ is a right leaning term and should be fucking avoided.  Hate to see it used unwittingly by decent folks but, like has previously been said, it’s up there with ‘political correctness gone mad’ and ‘I’m not racist but…’
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm a scumbag hypocrite.

Naah, not at all. It's called changing your mind. I don't think anyone should have to stand behind every single action or word, though once upon a time I did
  • Graham Linehan is a fine example. He's a tool of the highest order now but recently rewatched Father Ted and it is on the highest tier with Phoenix Nights.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s the problem with the internet and the world at large at the mo. Once people are in a camp they double down and can’t seem to just shrug anymore and say they have changed their mind. It’s sad.

@cockbeard
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can be a tool and talented, I guess. Maybe you can't be talented without being a tool too. Karmic balance.
  • Comedians being cancelled for saying dumb shit in a bit - simmer down, relax a sec there

Comedians being cancelled for doing dumb shit - crack on
  • Some tunes will always be tunes, regardless of who's done them. It's like if peanut butter or bacon or whatever was suddenly found to be a rapist and you went around saying you don't like peanut butter or bacon anymore. Your tastbuds (ears) don't lie, you can't change what you like. Just accept that some music (or whatever) that you love is made by bastard cunts and move on. Don't listen to it if that's your choice but you can't deny some songs by some monsters are absolute bangers.
  • Plus, tv and films are more of a team sport. Linehan didn’t make Father Ted on his own. Directors have more authorship over a film though, so it’s understandable that they get more directly linked with the product.
  • Louis CK was a weird one for me because I'd never seen much of his stand up - snippets here and there, I knew he was A Big Deal - then started watching Horace & Pete after a strong recommendation from a friend. I knew he'd done something wrong, but I think I found out about the extent of the unsavoury shit when I began watching this near perfect series about a bunch of unsavoury, flawed cunts that ended up being one of the best things I've ever seen. He sounds like a nasty piece of work, but...maybe that's why H&P is such a brilliant piece of work?
  • I do think the aftist/art thing is very personal so I would agree with those saying it isnt something to judge others over.

It was no skin off my nose to stop listening to Gary Glitter I was happy to not hear that shit ever again.
    MJ was much tougher. I had a few tears when he died, it really hit hard. Over time I matured about things then watching Leaving Neverland my mind was changed, I totally believed those guys and had to make the choice not to willfully listen to MJ again (its impossible to fully avoid him).

For other people it could be the artist that sang the song for their first dance, a movie as a first date, a comedy routine that picked them up off the floor. That stuff is hard to just switch off.

Inform dont preach I think is the best approach.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!