Thread of the Cancellèd
  • The last airbender
  • I still cannot understand the Lindsay Ellis thing. Seems to me like a bunch of people with axes to grind.

Filip Miucin is interesting. I'd absolutely not hire him to write anything. He has no credibility with that as far as I'm concerned, his apology was pathetic and I don't believe it's genuine. I'd doubt everything he ever submitted was his own work. As an editor or voiceover though, fine. He's got the skills, and that part wasn't in question.
  • I can't even begin to comprehend the thing, so if anyone can link or pm or whatever (DM?) the offending video please do, because I find it hard to believe a LE vid could result in cancel.
  • It wasn't even a video. It was a tweet.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I can't even begin to comprehend the thing, so if anyone can link or pm or whatever (DM?) the offending video please do, because I find it hard to believe a LE vid could result in cancel.

exgfvkzwuakadjl.jfif_.jpg?w=1000
  • I still cannot understand the Lindsay Ellis thing. Seems to me like a bunch of people with axes to grind.

Definitely a lot of people. But other people believe they had legitimate concerns. I can't really tell Asian folk if they should or shouldn't feel frustrated or belittled.  

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Avatar was written by white folk, Raya had Asian writers on staff, so flattening that context down to "YA like Raya is aping Avatar" could be seen as insulting maybe? I dunno. Not my call to make.
  • Is that it?

Wtf.
  • I know nowt about anime/manga these days, but I really, really struggled to see what was the issue there. Am I right in saying she said one thing was like another? I may have totally missed something.
  • I mean, one of the biggest and most influential American animated shows of the last 15 or so years has had a lot of influence on things made after it seems to be a breathtakingly obvious take to me.
  • But like I said on the last page: context of the time, being a media creator, doubling down. No one made her delete her account or anything. And this is the problem with “cancel culture” all that’s happened is she doesn’t post on twitter any more, or will one day come back with a PR person, which makes sense for someone of her position.

• Can someone give me a layman's tldr?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I know it's something I do way too often, but reductio ad absurdum only works when you are actually arguing against what people have said, not what you might have inferred from what they said

Then you get people responding to responses, and like chinese whispers (hope that isn't a racial epithet, as I don't know how else to describe it) the anger (often) comes not from the original post, but from mistranslations/misinterpretations of it. Sometimes from people trying too hard to defend ideologies that don't need their support, sometimes from genuine lack of comprehension, and sometimes from people actually being hurt
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • nick_md wrote:
    I know nowt about anime/manga these days, but I really, really struggled to see what was the issue there. Am I right in saying she said one thing was like another? I may have totally missed something.

It isn’t manga or anime or anything like that.

Anyway I think the point is simple: when you spend a lot of your time courting public favour for fame, you know it will bite back one day. She admitted herself later she should have rethought it, reworded it, or taken it down. She’s taken onboard the criticisms. It’s a non-issue.
  • I like Ellis. I also don't do social media. So I happened upon her lengthy response video purely as someone who subs to her channel. Think I made it through about half of it before I lost interest and sloped off elsewhere. Whole thing got a big *shrug* from me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • She should have doubled down. Someone commented something like "Oh, so you'd say all fantasy is like Lord of the Rings?" And it's like yeah mate, it dominates the landscape of the genre.
  • I Think of it this way: you’re in the US in the middle of an uncovering of a wave of anti-asian sentient. You’re so used to asian voices getting silenced, denigrated and so on. During this a respected white critic decides to say what Raya (asian credits) is riffing off Avatsr (no asian credits) . Of course it’s gonna upset people who are invested. Other people will use that as an angle for attack, regardless of the matter.

It’s easy to say it’s dumb to boil it down to that, but I know some asian folk who though it was a stupid thing to say, but didn’t doglike or anything. Criticism of Anti-Asian sentiment are louder now. A lot of those folks are quite tired of being the butt of stereotypes and racism.
  • Anyway the whole point I was trying to make is that it’s been labelled a cancellation but it wasn’t! She chose to step away, she’s still doing fine.

You can’t unpick the people who criticised her apart from bad faith and good faith, but the scaremongering about cancel culture acts as an invitation for others to call their legitimate deplatforming “cancelling”.

I still like Ellis.
  • I agree with that Temps.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    This all came up some time ago here re the slave trade and statues etc.  If every building funded by slavery et al were to be pulled down we wouldn't be left with much historic structures. Unfortunately , a delay in discovery means there is little to be done. Doesn't mean we are condoning it.
    Buildings ≠ statues. Buildings have a function, so if they were built by slaves it’s shit and wrong but it might be a needless waste of time and money to tear it down. Statues are only there to celebrate people, so they can get fucked. Statues don’t educate us, they just literally put someone on a pedestal.

Wasn't equating the two. Was pointing out that practicalities trump ethics sometimes.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This Ellis thing I'd never heard of but seems like pure Twitter nonevent bullshit that shouldn't matter to anyone.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The real takeaway is never be a fan of anyone if you can avoid it and definitely don't loudly announce your fandom at every turn
  • DrewMerson wrote:

I guess I meant, what is Raya and the Last Airbender and how or what.
  • Raya's Tinder for celebs who can't fuck or something, kind of a eugenics experiment.
  • nick_md wrote:
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I guess I meant, what is Raya and the Last Airbender and how or what.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!