Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You don’t have to be mean to blast Nick.
  • Heh, random part of a list I first constructed 5 years ago when cinty was doing that top 100 thing.

The state of this is a disgrace, tbh.

Dark Souls 360
    Halo 3 360 2007
    SoTC ps2
    GTA4 360
    Colin McCrae 2.0 ps
    Halo CE xbox 2001
    Halo 2 xbox 2003
    GTAVC ps2
    GTASA ps2
    Ico ps2
    metriod Prime GC
    perfect Dark N64
    Panzer Dragoon Saga Saturn 1998
    Gran Tourismo ps 1998
    Blast Corps N64
    GTA3 ps2
    NBA2kX various various
    Rez DC
    Goldeneye N64
    MGS ps
    MSR DC
    PoP SoT Xbox
    PoP 3 Xbox
    Geo Wars Xbox
    Doom PC
    Diablo PC
    Destiny Bone
    Chrono Cross ps
    BFBC2 360
    Bioshock 360 2007
    half Life 2 360

If I thought about it again....

1. Slay the Spire
    2. Halo (probably 3 or 2)
    3. Dark Souls

SotC
     Panzer Dragoon Saga
     Blast Corps
     Portal
     HL2
    Colin McCrae 2.0/DIRT
    Cities

Maybe a GTA

A bunch of games that would move right up and/or join the broader list from the last few years.

Given I am very much post a lot of styles of games, being an old fuck, I've leant into the feels at the time as opposed to still good if I played now with this list.

Reckon I'll have a proper space to play when we move, and may well finally get a new console, so maybe things will change then.

(No order after the top 3, obviously.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    Blurry Corps 

Fuck yeah.

I FORGOT BLAST CORPS NOOOOO
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I had Blast Corps it was absolutely shit and ran at like 4fps fucking stupid game that
  • get gud mate.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    too busy getting stuck on water temple mate
  • lololol. Fair. We all did.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    After so many gaming years, too much of this is based on whim for me. I might put a game that was AHEAD OF ITS TIME above a sequel that was RIGHT ON TIME, but then vice versa for a different series.

Rating objectively superior sequels below older entries, when I'd only play the most recent one now. Or when I do rate a sequel more highly, but it didn't impress me half as much...

I'd need to write two lists, in other words, and I CBA. Top 10 historical significance, and top 10 per year. Hazard a guess 3 or 4 would feature in both.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    1. Trials Evolution
    2. Shovel Knight
    3. Hollow Knight
    4. Super Meat Boy
    5. Ori in the Blind Forest
    6. Shining Force 2
    7. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    8. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
    9. Fire Emblem Awakening
    10. Micro Machines 2
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Pro Evo should go in really, but it's too late now.

And Michael.

JonB wrote:
    The only recent potential change would be Returnal.

Oh, my god — here it is.

Silke wrote:
    a fourteen year old swede that manages to solve it all (in english) without any hints or walkthroughs.

Must've been all that furniture construction.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Surprised to see 2 people with Riven on the lists. I think it's a nice choice and while it was never for me it's nice to see it.

It's still the absolute pinnacle of the genre in my opinion. It's certainly a serious challenge in ways that other games usually aren't, there's not much else out there like this that plunges you into another world and asks you to think for yourself to try and understand it.
  • Frosty wrote:
    That's the one where they said black people aren't historically accurate. Put me off ever bothering

There was a bunch of bullshit surrounding the game and some terrible journalism, I looked into it extensively at the time and it's very much a storm in a teacup, but each to their own I suppose.

Basically if a dev wants to make a mostly historically accurate game set in a small non-urban area of 15th century Europe and have a homogenous populace that's fine, if they wanted to so the same thing but have more diversity regardless of accuracy that's also fine. It's not really fair to demand that they be inclusive in a modern sense when that would be counter to the somewhat accurate portrayal of the time, of course if it upsets people then just don't play it I guess.

It reminds me a bit of the controversy surrounding Battlefield V, but in the other direction. In both cases it's a lot of bullshit over nothing. There was all kind of shit spoken about KC:D from people that clearly didn't actually play the game, it has more far social complexity in its characters than would first appear if you just read a few headlines and casually agree with comments without verification.

Here's the KC:D thread in case of a big discussion. I wouldn't want to derail this mostly very lovely thread.
  • After so many gaming years, too much of this is based on whim for me. I might put a game that was AHEAD OF ITS TIME above a sequel that was RIGHT ON TIME, but then vice versa for a different series. Rating objectively superior sequels below older entries, when I'd only play the most recent one now. Or when I do rate a sequel more highly, but it didn't impress me half as much... I'd need to write two lists, in other words, and I CBA. Top 10 historical significance, and top 10 per year. Hazard a guess 3 or 4 would feature in both.

It seems that it's not just our game choices that are very personal, but the criteria we're using to choose them. For my list -
    Metroid Prime
    Death Stranding
    Subnautica
    Half Life 2
    NaissanceE
    Riven
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Inside
    Halo 2
    Journey
    I didn't think too hard about it in terms of 'historical significance' etc, it was a totally personal thing about what games continue to hold a place in my memory, that felt transcendental for the medium. Worlds and stories that I've gotten lost in, that I've gotten more out of than just a temporary dopamine rush, that have inspired me to think differently creatively and practically.

If I was trying to think more 'objectively' then I would probably have a hard time putting some of those above say, a Nintendo classic like Wind Waker. Going with games that resonate on a deep level is much easier than trying to second guess your choices in relation to the medium as a whole.
  • Frosty wrote:
    That's the one where they said black people aren't historically accurate. Put me off ever bothering

Here's the KC:D thread in case of a big discussion. I wouldn't want to derail this mostly very lovely thread.

I'm good. I much prefer to *checks notes* casually agree with comments without verification.
  • Games that I loved at the time, in no particular order:

Skyrim 
    Zelda OoT
    KOTOR
    Kerbal Space Program 
    Mario Odyssey 
    Uncharted 2
    Mario Kart 64
    CoD4 MW
    Titanfall 2
    Little Big Planet
    Halo CE
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I FORGOT XENOBLADE FUCK!!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Combat (Atari 2600)
    Head Over Heels (C64 version)
    Ghostbusters (C64 version)
    Street Fighter 2 (whatever)
    Half Life (PC)
    Half Life 2 (PC)
    Counter Strike (OG & Source / PC)
    GTA3 (PS2)
    Metroid Prime (GameCube)
    Last of Us (almost put 2 in as well)
  • 1. Zelda OOT
    2. Mario 64
    3. Resident Evil 4
    4. Metroid Prime
    5. Halo 3
    6. Ico / SotC
    7. Final Fantasy 7
    8. Mass Effect 2
    9. Skyrim
    10. COD MW4

Heres mine... my top of all time... but would quite happily never play again.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I find it very hard to pick 10. This is a personal and nostalgic list of game that I have amazing memories of. Some may be swapped out, but some will probably never lose their place. I could easily fill most of this list with cherished C64 games, but I think my rose-tinted-specs would be working overtime.

Combat (Atari 2600)
    Half Life (PC)
    Half Life 2 (PC)
    GTA3 (PS2)
    Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Yes Drum! Ghostbusters on C64 was on my list too.

• Cupatay wrote:
    Yes Drum! Ghostbusters on C64 was on my list too.

I've beat the game once....ever. Could never get the timing right on the run past Marshmallow man. 

Already I've seen others people's lists and thought of games I would swap in. It's almost impossible for me to settle on a top 10.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    It's almost impossible for me to settle on a top 10.

It's tough all right. Me leaving out games like Rez, WarioWare , Virtua Tennis, Daytona, Saturn Bomberman, Mr Driller, Metal Slug, Yoshi's Island and Bust-A-Move 2 kind of invalidates putting an artifical limit like 10 on it, but there we are.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The ones that have been brain worming me over the past few days as to whether they go somewhere are -

Fire Emblem Awakening
    Banjo Kazooie
    Blast Corps
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Links Awakening
    Left 4 Dead
  • davyK wrote:
    drumbeg wrote:
    It's tough all right. Me leaving out games like Rez, WarioWare , Virtua Tennis, Daytona, Saturn Bomberman, Mr Driller, Metal Slug, Yoshi's Island and Bust-A-Move 2 kind of invalidates putting an artifical limit like 10 on it, but there we are.

I would find it way easier to list all games that I consider a 10/10. Maybe 20-30 of those.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    drumbeg wrote:
    I would find it way easier to list all games that I consider a 10/10. Maybe 20-30 of those.

Yeah.
  • Combat (Atari 2600)
    Half Life (PC)
    Half Life 2 (PC)
    ICO (PS2)
    GTA3 (PS2)
    Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Had to.
  • At the age I'm at this is really fucking difficult. There's at least 5 more games I want on the list but can't decide what to swap. Probably 10 more if I gave it more thought. Some absolutely brilliant ones not on this list...

Bubble Bobble (C64)
    Elite (C64)
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Halo CE
    KOTOR
    Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Diablo 3
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Ghost of Tsushima

• @drumbeg good man
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    The only recent potential change would be Returnal.
    I had a conversation with a pal about Returnal and where it sits in our lists of all-time greats. We both said it's a top 10 contender. I didn't add it to my list because I've only just played it and thought I would see if I come back to it.

I noticed Rocket League in one of the posted lists. It's a game I feel like I should add, given the amount of hours I have put into it. I consider the mechanics to be perfect. It's a better representation of football than most footy games. I didn't notice Overwatch in any lists. Again, many hours dedicated to this game and one I feel should be there. They both make a top 20 I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Combat (Atari 2600)

That's in my top 10 of my top 100 most impactful on me list. The hours me, my bro and cousins put in on that..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!