It's 2022, update your all time top 10
  • davyK wrote:
    drumbeg wrote:
    Combat (Atari 2600)
    That's in my top 10 of my top 100 most impactful on me list. The hours me, my bro and cousins put in on that..

Made in 1977. Wow. Did not realise it was that early.
  • I can’t think too hard about lists like this. But off-the-cuff, and in no particular order …

Tetris
    Speedball 2
    Stunt Car Racer
    Forza Horizon (versions 3–5)
    Rez
    WipEout Pure
    Bust-a-move 3DX
    Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved
    Arkanoid
    Prince of Persia
  • poprock wrote:
    I can’t think too hard about lists like this. But off-the-cuff, and in no particular order … Tetris Speedball 2 Stunt Car Racer Forza Horizon (versions 3–5) Rez WipEout Pure Bust-a-move 3DX Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved Arkanoid Prince of Persia

Like this list. First mention of Arkanoid? I spent a lot of time with Arkanoid 2 : Revenge of Doh (sic). Loved that game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Combat (Atari 2600)
    That's in my top 10 of my top 100 most impactful on me list. The hours me, my bro and cousins put in on that..
    Made in 1977. Wow. Did not realise it was that early.

The architecture of the 2600 was designed to play Pong and Combat and a few variants of it. The hardware supports 2 sprites - one for each player, a ball sprite and 2 missile sprites and it manages pixel level collisions between them without the dev having to code for it.

I say sprites, I really mean lines of 1,2 , 4 or 8 pixels...the 2600 only knows about the current line being drawn on the screen by the display.

By '79, Bushnell was screaming to get a new console on the market but by then Warner had bought the company off him and were milking it because the devs were geniuses who kept squeezing out other games.

Developers have never pushed a piece of hardware harder since that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I struggle to look back as far as the 8-bit era. I must have sunk years of my leisure time into Spectrum games, but looking back I don’t know what the standouts were - I have more a vague general memory of ‘gaming’ rather than getting hooked on specific titles. From Horace Goes Skiing through Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy to things like Jet Pac and then Head Over Heels … I don’t feel that any of them sit in my all-time top 10.
  • Honorary mentions for me probably go to IK+ and Soul Calibur. 10 games just isn’t enough for me to squeeze any fightmans in, however much I’ve loved them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have little fondness for the 8bit micro era - however Chuckie Egg, Jet Set Willy and Thrust are still worthy I feel.

Not top tenners - but those 3 make my 100 list.

JSW with checkpoints etc and a bit of polish would please me. I remember a PC remake that included multiplayer races online built into it - must look for that to see if it still works.
  • No space for Portal, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Mario Golf World Tour, Hotline Miami, Not a Hero, Mario Odyssey, Streets of Rage 4 and plenty of others on my list.
  • poprock wrote:
    Honorary mentions for me probably go to IK+ and Soul Calibur. 10 games just isn’t enough for me to squeeze any fightmans in, however much I’ve loved them.

I considered both, especially IK+. Didn't that have a headbutt? 

That's DC Soul Calibur, right? Yoshimitsu FTW.

I think both of those were perfect fighting games. Simple to pick up and extremely enjoyable. I tried Injustice and MK11 recently and hated how complex and twitchy the controls were. There's too much going on!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Missed the start of this, some amazing choices in here. Shocked to see Raiziel has Skyrim as his number 1 ;)

In no particular order:

Halo: CE
    World of Warcraft
    Destiny
    Seiken Densetsu 2
    Soul Calibur 2
    Street Fighter IV
    TES: Morrowind
    Dark Souls
    Mario Kart 64
    Ikaruga
  • I considered both, especially IK+. Didn't that have a headbutt?

IK+ even had a taunt button, if you count dropping your trousers as taunting your opponent. What was so great about it was the speed and fluidity. And the addition of a third fighter was just genius.

That's DC Soul Calibur, right? Yoshimitsu FTW. I think both of those were perfect fighting games. Simple to pick up and extremely enjoyable. I tried Injustice and MK11 recently and hated how complex and twitchy the controls were. There's too much going on!

Absolutely, yeah. The only positive thing later sequels added to Soul Calibur was online versus play. Everything else was just gilding the lily.
  • poprock wrote:
    Honorary mentions for me probably go to IK+ and Soul Calibur. 10 games just isn’t enough for me to squeeze any fightmans in, however much I’ve loved them.

Didn't have IK+, but I had a game called "Way of the Exploding Fist" on C64. Maybe a pre-cursor to IK+ (or a clone, not sure which came first).

Get what you mean about fightmans. No racers in my list, which feels a travesty.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Didn't have IK+, but I had a game called "Way of the Exploding Fist" on C64. Maybe a pre-cursor to IK+ (or a clone, not sure which came first). Get what you mean about fightmans. No racers in my list, which feels a travesty.

Just looked it up: TWotEF was 1985, IK+ was 87. Both were groundbreaking. But I recall the sequel to TWotEF, Fist 2 (86), was even more challenging. It was like a fighting action adventure; moving from screen to screen, getting more health and fighting tougher baddies. 

Man, I was about 9 when that came out.
  • Top 10 consoles (off the top of my head)

Xbox 360
    SNES
    Playstation 4
    Series X
    3DS
    Playstation
    Playstation 2
    Amiga
    Switch
    Atari 2600
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I remember a JSW PC remake that included multiplayer races online built into it - must look for that to see if it still works.

This isn't the online race version but this is lovely. You need DOSBOX but it works fine on W10. Very nice - lets you select music from your favourite 8bit micro version. The PC remix is excellent with themed music for each room.

https://www.playdosgames.com/online/jet-set-willy/
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Have had a few running around my head the last couple of days.

1. Super Mario World

The rest in no particular order:

Hades
    Zelda Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Elite
    New Zealand Story (arcade or Amiga version)
    Link to the Past
    Ultra Street Fighter IV
    Monkey island 2

Should be said this is just my thinking right now. It would undoubtedly change tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love New Zealand Story. First played it on the Amstrad CPC but playing the "real" thing was a favourite MAME activity for ages.
  • in no particular order, and without a lot of consideration

Mario 64/World/Bros 1
    PES 3-6 (specific fave actualy Winning Eleven 6 FE)
    Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Goldeneye 64
    Rocket League
    WWF No Mercy
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    Excitebike 64
    Tetris
    Uncharted 2
    Super Mario Kart (SNES)

I've been gaming since atari and speccy but it's funny how little older games pop up when i think of these things. Also makes me realise what an absolute banger the N64 was, could easily add a few more in too. Maybe they wouldn't hold up as well now but at the time i guess that console was a sweet spot for me personally with age/free time/money, plus the 3d gaming revolution
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • PoP Sands of Time should be on my list actually. What a game that was.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Top 10 consoles

Super Nintendo
    3DS
    Xbox 360
    Game Boy Advance
    Dreamcast
    PS2
    N64
    Gamepass
    Switch
    Wii
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    1. Nintendo 64
    2. Xbox 360
    3. PlayStation 5
    4. Dreamcast
    5. Super Nintendo
    6. Nintendo GameCube
    7. PlayStation
    8. Nintendo Switch
    9. SEGA Saturn
    10. Xbox
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Like the console idea:

** Ordered from pure nostalgia and how it made me feel at the time and the excitement around launch**

1. N64
    2. PS2
    3. Dreamcast
    4. Xbox
    5. Saturn
    6. Xbox 360
    7. Playstation
    8. Snes
    9. Nintendo Switch
    10. Sega Game Gear
  • Master System
    Megadrive
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    NES
    GBA
    3DS
    Switch
    Xbox 360
    PS4

No order. Plus I played a good handful of SNES games on GBA first, before knickers get twisted.
  • Megadrive lololol
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excitebike 64

Splendid call. I haven't played it nearly enough. The handling is marvellous - quite miraculous for its age.
  • In chrono order (I think):

SNES
    GBA
    PS2
    GameCube
    XB360
    Wii
    3DS
    Vita
    PS4

Switch
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Excitebike 64
    Splendid call. I haven't played it nearly enough. The handling is marvellous - quite miraculous for its age.

Opph, that's sparked a memory from deep within the banks just there. WaveRace 64!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Excitebike 64
    Opph, that's sparked a memory from deep within the banks just there. WaveRace 64!

Waverace, 1080 and Excitebike - quite a trinity.  The landmark N64 games were stupendous. In my book they made up for the small library.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Absolutely, I loved that about the N64 though - each release was to be savored!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!