How bored are you of games?
  • b0r1s wrote:

I think if I play TLoU2 again I’d just stick it on easy and switch on auto-hoover-up-stuff mode.

This was me when I played it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I just figure that truly great storytelling is really hard to achieve in a linear narrative medium, the vast majority of stories aren’t great. Adding in the complexity of branching paths must make that close to impossible.

Oh for sure, and there’s more bad “branching narratives” than good ones by far. Fundamentally think you’re probably more likely to get a semi-competent story if it is sth tightly curated and funnelled but I’ve played enough games that buck that trend to know that it’s not just one or two teams getting lucky.

Keep an eye on Obsidian, now that they’re a MS team - whatever they stuck up next on Gamepass after Grounded (presumably their big RPG project) is almost certain to have some decent player choice and great writing.

It’ll likely be Avowed next up from Obsidian.

I’ll almost certainly try it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Adding in the complexity of branching paths must make that close to impossible.

Keep the branches short at first; not asking for miracles. But as said, it's ending on divergence with a sequel planned that really seems to scupper these folk.

The trick is to rebind those branches in the least amount of sequel time, also with the least amount of contrivance. That is hard. Whole middle half can be similar for everyone, though, save for the minor choices we currently get.

I think you only need to write three different beginnings and ends, majority carried through a fixed intermediary. This would've given my Last of Us playthrough an ending I was happy with, rolling into my early chapters of II, without demanding major change from the rest of it.

(A recap and starting choice for those who hadn't played the former.)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Keep an eye on Obsidian, now that they’re a MS team - whatever they stuck up next on Gamepass after Grounded (presumably their big RPG project) is almost certain to have some decent player choice and great writing.

Even Grounded has some branching narrative, especially around the hedge maze
  • Good thread this. I ‘missed’ the last generation by never having a PS4. I had a Switch instead and played more the Mario games with the kids plus Zelda. Having just got a PS5 I was eager to get into Horizon Forbidden West but have so far been put off by the dialogue, which doesn’t seem to have moved on at all since PS3 era, and the clunky tutorial zone that needs to spell everything out for you (and seems designed to ensure you are well aware you are playing a game). It is a bog standard tutorial intro and just seems ‘boring’ so far in that it doesn’t seem to have progressed as an experience. It’s the same but a bit more shiny. Star Wars Squadrons, however, does feel a bit more of a new experience for me at least during the gameplay but is also hampered by po-faced clunky dialogue. I also only get 2-3 hours play time max per week which doesn’t help for the huge AAA games.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yeah my weekly playtime isn't much more than that. How you gonna stand a chance of getting into something like Elden Ring with that little amount of free time.

I'm not bored of games, but time constraints mean I'm limited to something more bitesize or at most a 10-15hr long contemporary story driven game.

I'm genuinely envious at the time some badgers get to game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I got some Tsushima time last night. And I think Im playing now mainly for a meditative type zone out experience. I did a few side quests and I could tell what was happening before it started lol. Go find this man's family. I bet they are dead. Yes. Yes they are. So in a sense Im bored by the game and the constant fetch/kill quests, but the dressing is so pretty.
    The gameplay is solid though, so its like I can switch off and just chill out taking in the beautiful scenery. 
    Im playing on a large amiblight with the other lights in the room really low so its super atmospheric. Its nice and relaxing.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was always bamboozled by the idea that hefty narrative games were for "grown ups" or "mature" gamers.

A great many "grown ups" don't have the time to play hefty narrative games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    None of it is grown up really. I recall mates taking the piss back in the day cos I loved Mario and they just played streetfighter and footy/shooter games. I did try to explain that it's all toys and we're all big kids.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    quite.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Well said
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Having just got a PS5 I was eager to get into Horizon Forbidden West but have so far been put off by the dialogue, which doesn’t seem to have moved on at all since PS3 era

GTA5's probably still my go-to for bad writing, for making a song and dance about Trevor's dissonance rather than Houser losing some ego and trimming his story right down.

In terms of mission approaches it was more restrictive than the first 3D pair, the polar opposite of their appeal, which III seemed to recognise with its nonstory (Tony Montana was also unobtrusive). There needs to be a big effort from somewhere to evolve the link between actions and story, else one always has to be compromised for the other.

I also feel every gen since the PS2's has been underutilised on the tech side, and don't fancy there's anything groundbreaking around the corner. If you'd told me in the '90s that games'd be thirsty for TV-level writing in future (and they're still a long way from that), I'd have said ‘But they're games?!’.
  • My overwhelming feeling having dabbled in a few PS5 games so far is that games should simply dispense with dialogue and go the Ico route of no dialogue and let the game, the scenery, basically everything else, tell the story or even better let the player infer the story from the game. It actually seems obvious to me that the better games would do this and I’m hoping Elden Ring and Returnal will do this. I’m also excited for the same reasons to finally play The Last Guardian. Star Wars Squadrons, for example, has a really poor starship/dialogue hub that is there to move the story on and frankly I think it is poor game/story design. If you had the same story told from within the cockpit without the risible dialogue it would be much better. I think part of my game ‘boredom’ is that the story telling doesn’t hit the heart. It hits the head sometimes, gives me a narrative that supports the progress made in the game, but I don’t FEEL it.

In my humble opinion as a game player and having never designed a game in my life of course.
  • Don't fret about the way Returnal handles its story, it's one of the better efforts. Non overbearing, drip fed chef's kissy stuff.
  • Good to hear and looking forward therefore to the new PS+ subscription thing.

Another game that did this well was Fire Watch. The gameplay was on the face of it boring but the story was decent and kept me in it. I think jaded is probably a better name for how I feel towards games and I’m hoping the new shinies can give more also on the emotional investment.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My overwhelming feeling having dabbled in a few PS5 games so far is that games should simply dispense with dialogue and go the Ico route of no dialogue and let the game, the scenery, basically everything else, tell the story or even better let the player infer the story from the game.

A Plague Tale settles down after a wordy start, arriving at a stunning location in its second half, alas never escaping its reliance on fire-lighting and lever-pulling.

Its moments of quiet trusted my investment in its world to memorable effect. Tomb Raider: Underworld's my favourite since the original for the same reason.
  • There's definitely a trend for the bigger games to have as much talking as possible. Just look at Horizon: FW or Ratchet. But then there's still others that avoid it or use it smartly like Elden Ring or Returnal. Plus Indies will always be good at this stuff.

I'm surprised people think it's still a good idea though to have so much dialogue. Must be a burden on the recording crew and it's just so tiring as the player. Continuouy breaks you out of your play
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    This is the water, G is stuck in the well. Go North, and descend.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can I be the face in the police station floating out of screen
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Reg has always been cool.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I'd like to add that a lot of my current issues also stem from the group of friends I play games with, some of whom I have played with since the early 2000s - they never really lost their appetite for the hardcore which often leads to stressful environments for me as I really don't want to play games in that manner any more. For example, V Rising came out on PC yesterday and some of them are already at 20+ hours. I've not played anything in awhile, since I started Elden Ring and fell off it so I loath when I am presented with this kind of FOMO because the people I play with just consume games at a ferocious rate.

The second reason games lately frustrate me stems from this universal output from content creators that insist you "don't make these mistakes" - leading of this kind of 'if you don't listen to this advice you're gimping yourself' outlook on the game - I really hate this. I just want to play and explore the world and discover things organically, not make my way down through a check list. I know this is a choice but again, the people I play with will always 'optimise' their route through a game so as to not waste potential rewards ect.

Just a few things that often lead me to disengaging with games and moving to movies and tv shows...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:

Listened to that song on the drive home today real talk
  • Escape wrote:

Regaldinio.
  • Probably my most played game of all time is slay the spire. I kind of just play it because it’s comfortable. I can get in die and and get out and go in and die and get out and get in and so on.
  • Yup, slay the spire is the ultimate hardcore casual game.
    An all time classic for the ages.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • An absolute gem in a sea of brilliance. Games are getting better and Spire is the best.

I do miss the pace of change though. The thrill of better gfx has gone and it was a key thing for most of my youth, then 3D, and then the Modern Warfare internet MP thing was wide-eyed amaze, but now that thrill has gone too.

Games are better now but da yoof is way less excited than we ever were. I was excited when we got a colour tv and later, bigger sprites. The snes had big sprites! Like the arcade! All of that is gone. Ah well.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!