Selling shit
  • What pisses me off now is that at some point in the recent past, eBay got rid of the "buyer enters into a contract to buy" rule.  Now buyers can just cancel a sale after bidding ends with no ramifications that I am aware of.  You can't putr a no-payment strike on them or whatever etc.

Ebay was great in 2000 when I started using it.  It is now really shit.  Gets worse and worse.

(Some idiot opened a item-not-delivered-case on one of my sold items last week.  The day after I posted it.  With tracking showing it's due to be delivered the next day.  COURSE YOU HAVENT RECEIVED IT ITS IN THE FUCKING SORTING OFFICE AND DELIVERY HASNT BEEN ATTEMPTED YOU FUCKING MORON)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • monkey wrote:
    FML this TV. It sold. Collection only from Birmingham. I've fielded about 10-15 enquiries during the 7 days it's been listed from people asking where in Birmingham I'm located. It's a pain in the arse but fair enough because it's not worth anyone's time schlepping a giant cheap TV from one side of the city to the other. Then this genius gets in touch when it's sold.
    I won the the bid. I stay in Swansea and I wish to ask if the item can be shipped to my address in Swansea, what will be the additional cost? Alternatively, if I am to travel by train to Birmingham, can you please bring the TV to the train station? Thank you.
    I'm now going to have to either a) relist the fucking thing and have another week of dumbos asking if I can pack it up for them and stick it in a post box b) haul the bastard down to the tip myself c ) leave it on the street and see what happens

QFPT
  • Had a guy buy something for £500 then instantly message me saying he only had £400, if that's ok.

Like fuck it is.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Can you not make a Second Chance Offer to the next bidder?
    I don't know how it works tbh.
  • Monkey, how much for you to deliver the TV to Reg?
  • Would Reg prefer some second-hand binoculars?
  • Are they good enough to see the tv in Birmingham?
  • I can post him the remote control and the binoculars and make two sales.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got all the tvs i need tyvm don't fucking dare.
  • Could you send one to Swansea then if you’ve got so many?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I could do with a Besta unit...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've got all the tvs i need tyvm don't fucking dare.
    You sound like a man who wants some binoculars.
  • Who wants a 2007 large men's Swatch Real Man watch with a bizarrely small wrist circumference and no extra links? First come, first served.
  • They said it couldn't be done but you're looking at a man who's just sold two extendable ceiling props for a cool £5.
  • I actually only sold one but the bloke came round to pick it up and I gave him the other one for free.
  • Can you bring them to the train station?
  • I'm going to take this tv down to the station right now and see how much I can get for it.
  • I've got a back up plan for the tv. One of the losing bidders (and potential Mensa member), reached out when the auction closed.
    Hey, I mistyped my bid, meant to put 47 but put 37 by accident, can I still buy it pls? Already arranged for someone to pick it up

So cancel the current sale due to Buyer Idiocy, put it back on Buy It Now for £47, inform this savvy punter. Sit back and watch the cash roll in. This plan can't fail.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I've got a back up plan for the tv. One of the losing bidders (and potential Mensa member), reached out when the auction closed.
    Hey, I mistyped my bid, meant to put 47 but put 37 by accident, can I still buy it pls? Already arranged for someone to pick it up

So cancel the current sale due to Buyer Idiocy, put it back on Buy It Now for £47, inform this savvy punter. Sit back and watch the cash roll in. This plan can't fail.

The brain squad bidding on this TV
  • monkey wrote:
    Who wants a 2007 large men's Swatch Real Man watch with a bizarrely small wrist circumference and no extra links? First come, first served.

I have a bizarrely small wrist circumference but don't wear watches.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • The watch has now sold. I repeat. Someone has actually bought the watch.
  • It’s time someone clocked what a bargain that was.
  • monkey wrote:
    I've got a back up plan for the tv. One of the losing bidders (and potential Mensa member), reached out when the auction closed.
    The plan has failed. The saga continues. 

I put it on for £45, LOCATION OF ITEM IN CAPS AND BOLD AT TOP OF DESCRIPTION, CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY IN CAPS AND BOLD AS WELL. Messaged Einstein that it was available for sale. No response from them. 
    Saw it getting a lot of views but no buyers, no watchers. Took a fiver off the price. Someone messaged me asking where it was, it turns out they're from London and it was 'too far'. But then someone bought it. Hooray? No. They paid through eBay (an option that eBay makes you include). Giving them all the one-sided buyer protections that I was hoping to avoid. I'm just not taking the chance of some dickhead wanting to return the thing, or dropping it and claiming it doesn't work, and making me pay postage for the return of a giant motherfucking television. 
    It really shouldn't be this hard to sell something from my front door, in cash. eBay just isn't suitable for this. 

The buyer has good feedback. But I don't really trust that as it's mostly auto-generated. And someone has left a comment saying 'avoid this buyer at all costs'. 

So, there's no option to cancel because they've paid the wrong way because eBay forces you to offer payment through them. I just have to cancel I think by claiming the item got damaged and removing it from eBay. The buyer can still leave negative feedback for this. I suppose just hope that doesn't happen and try and pester eBay to remove it if it does. I can't see any other option.

It's then getting packed into a car, hurled into the nearest charity shop, and then I drive away from this television as quickly as possible, and forget about it forever more.
  • If you only want cash, you shouldn’t be using eBay. Maybe try Facebook or something? There must be alternatives.
  • Monkey returned home to find the TV was there.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is Gumtree not better for local shit?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If you only want cash, you shouldn’t be using eBay. Maybe try Facebook or something? There must be alternatives.
    I know that now!

The gf has been banging on about Facebook market place for some of this junk top-line, premium, vintage merchandise. I'm even less experienced on Facebook than I am on eBay. 

It's too late for the tv. I'm not dealing with anyone else in the market for a £40 television set.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!