Selling shit
  • Is Gumtree not better for local shit?
    YES PROBABLY THANKS!
  • I've used Gumtree in the past for a couple of things. It's the same brand of twat on there. People arrange to come round then you never hear from them again. Or they turn up two hours late and start haggling. 

I've always typically just gotten rid of this stuff to a tip or charity shop. But there's so much junk great merch in my house, I'm slowly gearing up for a house move next year, and money hasn't exactly been growing on trees recently, I thought I should probably try and realise some of the value. It's mostly been going ok on eBay. Just normal people wanting a bargain. But this tv.
  • This is just what happens when you have to deal with members of the public.

Most of them are cunts. Avoid.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sounds like a ballache, Monkey. Selling big/weighty items isn’t ideal on any platform.

I’ve just tested it and you can selected Other as the delivery service, then Freight. That removes the price from the listing, so anyone buying would need to contact you about it.

If you then add the Collect in Person option, you can put your postcode in, which is linked to mapping on the listing. That may help focus buyers.

Doing the above is going to generate unwanted contact, but if you want to sell it to a good home, then dealing with people is going to be part of that.

I know you said that money isn’t growing on trees, but given the issues to date and the inevitable tyre kickers coming to haggle with you, for £40, you may be better offering it to a charity.

• Order cancelled citing damage. Very apologetic message sent to buyer. 

NEW PLAN: Load child plus TV into car monday morning. Hurl child into school. Hurl TV into charity shop. Never see TV again. Think very carefully about any future items listed on eBay. The end?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Don't mix the two up
  • Sounds like a plan.

For what it’s worth, I agree with the general mood that eBay has got worse over the years. But like YouTubers learning what spikes the algorithms for views, sellers can adopt certain eBay practices to protect themselves. It’s a pain and not ideal for casual users, but it is possible to make eBay work for you.

Siding with the buyer was always going to be needed for eBay to succeed in the longer term, and as a buyer as much as a seller, it’s helped me a lot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Order cancelled citing damage. Very apologetic message sent to buyer. 

NEW PLAN: Load child plus TV into car monday morning. Hurl child into school. Hurl TV into charity shop. Never see TV again. Think very carefully about any future items listed on eBay. The end?

I’ve had electrical items turned down by a charity shop before owing to potential risks of fire. Might want to ring ahead to the charity shop you’re thinking of and make sure they’ll take it before you load it into the car.
  • How is the saga meant to continue if you're highlighting potential pitfalls?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Barnados are taking this fucking bitch whether they like it or not.
  • Bit far sending the TV to the Caribbean, after all the shit about not posting it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Chuck it through their window, the charitable cunts
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Can you not just drag it out onto the street and stick a note on it? Do that in London and it will be gone in minutes.
  • Yeah same thing happens here. There's a rag and bone man that prowls round. But it's been raining on and off over the past couple of days.

If I can't force this onto the charity shop, then that's what's happening.
  • If it doesn't shift from outside my house, it's getting a few minutes on the receiving end of my baseball bat and buried in the garden.

Anything to avoid that traffic on the way to the tip.
  • Need to buy a cheap spade first though. Maybe buy a collection only spade from Swansea and get them to send it.
  • Have a Google to see if there is a recycle centre type place near you, a lot of areas have them.
    They tend to take electricals and are less fussy than your name brand charity shops.
  • Just done that. The Salvation Army place near me is an electrical recycling centre apparently.
  • Nice.
    Fuck Sue Ryder, the dickhead.
  • Just had an enquiry on Vinted for the Fitbit watch I'm selling.
    "Hi, I'm interested, what's the best price?"

I replied
    "Hi, I'm glad you're interested. The best price is the price I've asked for"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Can you bring it to a train station in Birmingham?
  • Imagine the steps...
  • He replied saying "I think £100 is fine"
    "Well in that case the shipping will be £25"
  • It probably makes more sense to know that the advertised price I put is £120
  • Just wait till the recession really bites
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Tell him £100 and a camel and it's his.
  • Which one of you fucks tipped them off?
    FT8jbz0.jpeg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Who Truman Show'd Monkey?
  • It's gone now. It's over. No dice at Barnados. Salvation Army took it. I chose not to tell them that the TV was a Giant Moron Magnet. They're probably getting the first of the zombie horde turning up now, making lowball offers, asking stupid questions, expecting the staff to hand deliver it to an address 200 miles away.
  • That's it. My eBay career is officially over. The last of the inventory has gone out of the door, or didn't sell and won't sell and has been charity shopped. All in all, not too bad. The listing and the packing is a ballache. The Inventory Item From Hell was obviously a disaster. But mostly (barring any last minute funny business from buyers who have already received their merch) it's been fine. Reasonable questions, polite people. I went on youtube to research what I was doing before getting started and everything is 
    "So, I got SCAMMED on eBay" 
    "Top Ten SCAMS on eBay"
    Not been my experience. I was shitting the bed when a £300 video camera was going through the post but the bloke that ordered it sent me a lovely message about the condition and the prompt delivery. Not going to be repeating this though. 

There's still three separate junk mountains in my house that I need to clear, but that's low-value tat that's getting booted straight to Barnados or the tip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!