Mortal Kombat
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was this too - dodged it - although I was intrigued with the idea at the time..

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I remember owning an MK game on PS2 that had a kart racing mini game and also a themed puzzle game.

They were both better than the actual fighting in those games.
  • There was a Jax based spin off that was as bad if not worse than the Sub Zero one.

Another one called Shaolin Monks was actually reasonably good.
  • MK2 on Mega Drive got a lot of play from me and my mates, but I never enjoyed the series after that for playing against other people. All three recent MK games, and the two Injustices have been great single player experiences though. Capcom have finally realised now with SF6 that you need to provide content for casual players too.
  • MK11 is a bit of alright isn't it!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I just played some MK11 with a VR headset on and the screen size set to maximum. Can't knock it.
  • Did a bit of aftermath yesterday and you're right it's more of the same daft fun.

Fights even look cool when you button mash your way through them.
  • NetherRealm are building the hype.

Suggests some kind of reboot or restarting of the timeline.
    Hopefully the rumours are true that it will be revealed during Sony's showcase later this month.
  • Way over my head that. What’s it building hype for?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah right. A new one coming out is there?
  • It's literally a new 1 AFAICT.
  • REMORTAL REKOMBAT
  • This is all very confusing.
  • Having not played one since 2, here’s what I know.
    Mortal Kombats 9-11 were a self-contained trilogy.
    Time collapsed(?) at the end of 11.
    Raiden(?) was going to rebuild everything from scratch.
    So 12 is a fresh start in continuity.
    12 is coming soon.
    GET HYPED(?)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Having not played one since 2, here’s what I know. Mortal Kombats 9-11 were a self-contained trilogy. Time collapsed(?) at the end of 11. Raiden(?) was going to rebuild everything from scratch. So 12 is a fresh start in continuity. 12 is coming soon. GET HYPED(?)

Oh, I get it.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Everything Monkey said except...
    Spoiler:

I love how schlocky MK is.
  • I heard 9 or 10 was good and meant to give it a go and now it’s about 10 years later.
  • I had a Mortal Kombat game once. It was on the Nintendo64. It wasn't very good.
  • II and 11 are all you need (says the guy who's only played 1, II and 11).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I had a Mortal Kombat game once. It was on the Nintendo64. It wasn't very good.

Heh. I had that too. I never thought much of any MK game. MK2 seemed decent though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Other than MK:Trilogy which is just a definitive 1-3 everything on the PS1 and PS2 era consoles can and should be ignored.
    The only thing to come out of those 4 mainline games was a few characters.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    II and 11 are all you need (says the guy who's only played 1, II and 11).

Same here. I did play the original 1,2 and 3 on megadrive though. Mk3 introduced combos iirc. Then straight to 11 because it looked amazing in action.

• I remember reading that Ultimate MK3/MK: Trilogy were actually really good (as Liv attests further up the page) but I don't think I've ever played 3 in any form.  Absolutely hammered II on MD for a couple of months at launch though.
  • The story mode in 11 is so good and so stupid it genuinely makes me laugh out loud (probably only 1/10th of its runtime is actually interactive, but works).  The Ultimate version is a brilliant package.

It's on Game Pass I think, and maybe PS Extra, so anyone who's been out with the series for years should take a quick look at least.
  • I remember getting 3 for the ps1 and it came in a clamshell thick as fuck cardboard case. Can remember seeing the gold and thinking wow this must be good.

Some time was spent on later ones. I remember a Gamecube effort with some crypt location giving you mini missions at each gravestone. That was fun.

Tried X but bounced off their current style rather quickly.

Bring back Power Stone.
  • Vanilla 3 is weird. A better game but the roster was odd. They dropped Scorpion which is just pure madness.
    Like if Street Fighter dropped Ryu.

I only ever owned Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 which had a much better roster.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Vanilla 3 is weird. A better game but the roster was odd. They dropped Scorpion which is just pure madness.
    Like if Street Fighter dropped Ryu.

I only ever owned Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 which had a much better roster.

That's got me thinking because I don't remember them dropping Scorpion. I'm sure the version of 3 I had had a globe or something within the number 3. Like moot though, II was the one I hammered. Kept an A4 sheet of all the finishers in the MD case. Coloured in and everything.
  • I loved mk2 at release and battered it. These days I've got a real soft spot for 1.

Had 3 then U3 also but never really liked them much, the setting wasn't as good, the characters weren't as good, and as liv said they dropped scorpion and even got rid of the ninja mask design for sub zero.

Would play 1&2 happily today tho. And the film theme song is an absolute all timer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!