Mortal Kombat
  • Yeah I was gonna say the other day, don't bother with the Switch version. MK11 was a stretch and iirc basically broken online. That was coming from PS4 gen.

To get this down to Switch level is a hard no. There's no PS4/Bone version. That's a hell of a drop down to pull off.
  • Wow.
    That's just... wow
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The best bit being it’s £70
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Unfortunately it's a WB published game and they are one of the worst money grabbers. I can only assume the Switch version was shat out to capture what is a large player base.

There are microtransactions in this as well but they aren't egregious.
    I can only assume the broader internet hasn't realised 2 of the 5 characters from the Kombat Pack (DLC season) are already in the story and fully realised, you fight them, can't fight as them but they have full move sets and animations. I'll tolerate a lot with MK but that felt cheap, fortunately Ermac looks like total shit in this so I wouldn't be playing as him anyway.
  • Hahaha. Saw those Switch comparison on Twitter and assumed the shots were forged.
  • On PS5 and I assume X this is hands down one of the best looking games I've played. It's not just technically good it is sumptuous in its detail and animations, everything is so rich and deep.

To port this to PS4/bone would take more than dialling in some gauges and turning some knobs. It would need to be manually stripped back to function. I say this despite MK11 also looking very good on those consoles.

The Switch shots really aren't suprsing. Frankly it shouldn't exist.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Please tell me moot bought it
  • Hahaha
  • MK needs the shinies to shine. I've watched vids of Switch MK11 and it's an impressive port, but some games demand a big TV.
  • Last time I played MK11 was on PSVR in CINEMA ON FACE mode.
  • That's the story done. Loved it.

The last chapter is batshit, people are going to want it as a mode. It has puns!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That's the story done. Loved it.

The last chapter is batshit, people are going to want it as a mode. It has puns!

Do you have a Fight stick Liv? I’ve got a PlayStation stick that works with Streetfighter on the Pa5 but can get the Xbox version a tenner cheaper.
  • LivDiv wrote:

What’s the long game with this? Online multiplayer or is there a Krypt type mode?

• Invasion is the long term SP mode.

5 or 6 board game type maps that you make your way through, each space is a fight (except for the odd test your might). Fights have different modifiers applied, shields, ice balls flying in, fight back to back enemies etc. The sort of stuff that was in the Towers of Time if you played MK11, but much easier ToT were tough.
    The whole Invasion thing has RPG elements. You level up as do the fights, there are items to pick up that can give you buffs and there is a Pokémon like rock, paper, scissors elemental type thing going on.

The invasion is headed up by a character (currently Scorpion) who is the end boss and resets every X amount of days called a season. This first one is running 50 days from the early access release.
    If you win you get a skin for that character. Along the way you unlock shitloads of skins and gear (each character has a changeable piece of gear. Scorpion's mask, Kitanas fan blades etc) and currency to buy more gear which is again seasonal and themed off the boss character, in other words there are a lot of orange skins available currently.
    There are also daily and weekly towers to play in this as well.

Along with all this each character and Kameo has their own set of stuff to unlock by levelling them in Invasion and online play. This looks like a season pass where you can see what unlocks are coming up, it's not a paid thing or anything though. This is where you unlock brutalities and fatalities.

I don't think Invasion is as impressive as the Krypt in MK11 but at the same time I don't think repeating the Krypt again would be as good as Invasion if that makes sense. Invasion has more legs as well and certainly feels less grindy than unlocking stuff in the Krypt.

Edit: There is also the standard Towers (Arcade) mode with a story ending for each character. Shouldn't even need to state that's there but Street Fighter 5 was a thing that happened.
  • MP has standard versus, king of the hill and Kombat league which is another seasonal thing, level up across the season and get prizes based on level at the end.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

Do you have a Fight stick Liv? I’ve got a PlayStation stick that works with Streetfighter on the Pa5 but can get the Xbox version a tenner cheaper.

I don't.
    I think general consensus is MK is better with controller, YMMV.
    I am on PS5 though and much prefer the dpad placement on PS5 over Xbox as a primary input for fightmans.
  • Before anyone buys, because I have been gushing here are some negatives for balance.

No crossplay.

I believe netcode is pretty good but maybe check elsewhere if that's really important to you.

There is some kind of bug where the dots that highlight a new item is available to view don't disappear after viewing the item. This annoys me more than it should.

There are some framerate drops in the story mode cut scenes which are bothersome. I'm sure these will be patched but they are there right now.

It's MK. It's not going to change your mind if you don't like MK, although it is less clunky than MK11.

Despite being called MK1 and marketed as a reset I'd at least look to get the overall gist of the MK11 story plus Aftermath if you haven't played it.
  • Nice one Liv. Plenty to go at then.

Does it have a paid currency element? i.e. Is it overly grindy in order to make you buy the koin?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched a Fatality compilation of this on YT.

erm - it's moved on since I played this on SNES.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Not too grindy for the unpaid currency and unlocks. Actually it spits unlocks at you at a very decent rate. If you saw a particular item online or whatever that you wanted it could become grindy I guess as it's random outside of the seasonal stuff. There is no way to pay to unlock those early either.

There is a paid currency, some kind of time gems thing. They are used in a rotating shop for more cosmetics (like Halo's shop if you've played that, probably countless others too). Personally I think it throws so much at you that to be bothered about paying the extra it would have to be a really special skin or piece of gear for me to pay up.
    Currently there is a Sindel bundle (skin, various colour pallets for that skin and a piece of gear) and a Tanya bundle with the same, then random gear for others
    Both bundles are about a fiver. Neither worth it.
    Completing the story gives enough gems to get 3 or 4 of those bundles so I'll sit on that in case something interesting comes up.
  • I'll be waiting until there's a complete version with a big discount. Play through the story, and then likely never touch it again. Just don't like how MK/Injustice games play.
  • Fair enough.
    There's a good chance it'll come to GP or PS+ as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!