Mortal Kombat
‹ Previous123456
  • Finish-Him.png

Mortal Kombat marks its 30 year anniversary this year, to celebrate NetherRealm have put together a video reel and website.
    https://www.mortalkombat.com/en-gb

History
    These are the 11 titles that officially make up the mainline releases. There have been many handheld ports, spin offs and versions too.

You Have Found Me Now Prove Yourself.
    Mortal Kombat 1-3

1992 and gamers are eager to say Get over Here as screenshots appears of the new game; Mortal Kombat.
    With its digitized artwork and hyper violence Mortal Kombat stood out amongst its competitors.
    Players battered each other bloody before being invited to 'Finish Him' and perform one of the series signature Fatalities.
    Opponents were set on fire, electrocuted and torn apart.

However spines weren't the only thing being man handled, pearls were also being clutched.
    Mortal Kombat became notorious as the leading corrupter of children in the early 90s and along with a handful of other titles a large reason for bringing in a age rating system for game.

The gameplay was solid if not industry leading but the violent action and real looking artwork caught imaginations.

Two sequels followed ramping up the story, introducing characters, stages and new ways to Finish your opponent.

Sub-Zero
    Mortal Kombat 4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon. 

The dark era for the franchise. Mortal Kombat didnt transition well to 3D, the first attempt, MK4 lost the appeal of digitized sprites without the technical power to make up that realism. Many other creative mistakes were also made, especially the stories. Although it did introduce Shinook and Quan Chi who became major villains later in the series.

The remaining three games released in the PS2 era worked as a story and gameplay trilogy. Each game built on the last with a 'more is less' mentality. Gameplay was poor to start, instead of resolving this development was spent adding characters and game modes. The result was a disc bulging 60 character roster (half of which are embarrassingly poor) by the final release and game modes that included chess and a Puzzle Fighter clone in Deception followed by an above average karting game in Armageddon. There were also uninspired story campaigns in the latter two games. Armageddon also included a create a fighter mode and create a Fatality mode neither of which were good or wanted.

Its the Bat!
    Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
    Yes according to Ed Boon this is one of the mainline Mortal Kombat games.
    MK vs DCU unsurprisingly sees the heroes and villains from both franchises fight it out in a convoluted storyline. What is surprising is that this was a relatively decent game. With MK offering up nothing but junk for two generations and the game releasing just before the superhero explosion we are still living through this is a title many missed.
    It has been very much surpassed since but marks the start of the turning point for the franchise.

Flawless Victory!
    Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat X, Mortal Kombat 11
    Its stupid numbering time.
    Mortal Kombat is hailed as the true turn of fortunes for the IP. A retelling of events from MK1-3 with a sprinkling of 4 and plenty of twists along the way. MK set the standard for what was to come with strong gameplay, decent characters, proper story, loads of challenges, bone crunching, blood and guts finally rendered well in 3D. Brutal gore was stepped up to the next level with X ray combos. Guest characters appeared in the form of Kratos (on Playstation) and Freddy Krueger. X and 11 continued the story, spinning highly entertaining yarns of time travelling, multi generational schlock. They also took the idea of guest characters and ran with it treating gamers to a host of pop culture favourites including The Terminator, Rambo, Leather Face, Jason, Predator, Xenomorph and Robocop plus skins for other characters to match turning the likes of Jax into Carl Weathers' Dillon.
    Top tier graphics, excellent gameplay a huge array of Kontent. Mortal Kombat has got good.

TOASTY!
    Mortal Kombat 12
    Unofficially, officially, accidentally announced during a share holder meeting MK12 is slated for 2023. Although it isn't clear if that is calendar or financial year and delays may well happen.
    NetherRealm released a thank you for 30 years video. At the end the is the tiniest of hints at MK12, so tiny its just a grain of sand.

Hopefully we see more very soon...

dbrwoqu-ba8a3051-da92-4119-b470-d6402505dbf0.png
  • Mortal Kombat 1 coming September 19th.

PS5, Xbox Series, Switch, Steam, Epic.

Shang Tsung preorder exclusive character (they'll probably flog him later, this has been the way)

https://www.mortalkombat.com/en-gb

• LivDiv wrote:
    Placeholder

Finish it
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Will have a read of this later. Been toying with the idea of another run through MK11.
  • I started another run last night to get the juices flowing.
  • Might order a kebab to go with it.
  • I didn't play any MKX but just visually it looked way less appealing than 11. I'm not sure why exactly but I came across the two games around the same time and thought X was fugly and jerky in comparison. Loved MK11 though, cracking single player story mode and just a great package overall.
  • I also bought the dlc for 11 not to long back but haven't played through it.
  • Aftermath is well worth a play through, up there with the main story. In fact it feels like the second part more than something just tacked on.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Must be getting old, I thought the fatalities in the latest one were a bit too much.
  • It's all bonkers but another shout for Aftermath being decent.
  • Kow wrote:
    Must be getting old, I thought the fatalities in the latest one were a bit too much.
    I get that.
    It doesn't bother me, I can still separate it out as fantasy but the more realistic these games get with graphics the closer that line gets.
  • I saw a clip of someone playing 11 the other day and it seemed like they did a brutality before they got the finish him line. It just flowed straight through almost like it was mid fight. Is that a new thing or am I imagining it? It looked realy fucking cool to be fair.
  • Yeah that's a thing, can't remember if it came in for X or 11.
    I can't remember who it is but I had a go to character for pulling them off, might have been Shao Kahn. Most are quite tricky iirc but his was just a combo into special move that was an easy bunch of buttons.

Edit: I remember now. There are certain stipulations then you do a certain move to take the last chunk of health off them.
    They naturally look best when rolled into a combo.

Uppercut is easy, iirc just don't block in the final round then uppercut the enemy to take the last of their health.
  • Well I never knew you could do it, it looks so cool when it happens so naturally. I didn't realise you'd have to be working towards it the whole round. It looks like an instinctive thing watching it, like when there's a flash knock down in boxing from a clean punch.

The game does flow beautifully in general though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had MK2 for SNES but the genre has never been more than a casual thrash with mates. I had MK4 on n64 but sold it....still have MK gold for Dreamcast and I doubt it has seen more than an hour of playtime. I always liked the series though.

Versus fighters have always been a mystery to me though I've always admired the presentation. One of the few great genres wrt 1v1.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I got 1 and 2 back in the day on the hype train, never clicked with them and much preferred Street Fighter, and later Killer Instinct and Tekken.

Played 11 on PS+ last year and thought it was great though, was on a par with SFV which I dabbled in around the same time.

My days with 1v1 Fighters is long past though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Like FPSs, fightmans just ain't the genre for me. And MK isn't even my least disliked in the genre. Full of meh, while I don't mind the occasional fatality vid, no desire to play one.
  • I generally hate vs fighters against the AI.  When they're bad they can be among the most frustrating gaming experiences going.  I never really played SFIV, despite buying it, and I think all the chat about the final boss being a cunt is what put me off.  I could handle unfairness with M Bison, but that's because it was 1993.  

I wouldn't fancy MK on normal difficulty either btw, but knock it down to inkompetent and the SP is an absolute blast on par with watching a slightly dodgy but very enjoyable bonkers martial arts film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got 1 and 2 back in the day on the hype train, never clicked with them and much preferred Street Fighter, and later Killer Instinct and Tekken.

SF2 Turbo was the one I stayed with the most but the genre is impenetrable to me.

Have SFIV super ultimate whatever edition for 360 and the daughters and I had a laugh with it but there wasn't much skill on display.  :)
  • MK was/is a bit shit compared to other fighters.  Best thing about it was the 90s movie with Christopher Lambert as Rayden!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I find most other fighters to be completely impenetrable. Things just seem so abstract.
  • It's a great fit for my mutton bashy approach to the genre.  

For Nick, again:
    Spoiler:
  • Used to sneak into an over 18s arcade in Glasgow with my pal around the heyday of MK. He used to take a little pad with combos and fatalities written down.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    MK was/is a bit shit compared to other fighters.  Best thing about it was the 90s movie with Christopher Lambert as Rayden!

Got a soft spot for that film, was a masterpiece compared to the previous video game efforts of Mario and Street Fighter.

I quite like the new MK movie too, thought Kano was hilarious.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played Injustice 2 after MK11 because I had the narrative vs fighter bug.  It's not as good, but it's still a solid way to spend <4hrs.  Plus it has Superman and Batman in it.  And Ninja Turtles if you pay a bit extra.
  • Would love for them to put kebab man in one of these someday.
  • I heard he also does toasties.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Would love for them to put kebab man in one of these someday.

Meat was a character from MK4/Armageddon. They could do a kebab alt costume for him, just a big pitta bread.

197452-meat.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember owning an MK game on PS2 that had a kart racing mini game and also a themed puzzle game.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!