Balatro - joker's on you
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Nice. Might have a play with that deck next. I’ve been using the deck with just two suits to try and hit a decent run. Finally hit the “e” numbers yesterday with loads of steel kings, the joker that triggers x1.5 on kings and mime to retrigger the steel. Also had steel joker and something else that massively boosted things. High card was under levelled though cos I’d been hitting the flushes early, so only got to ante 14.

Yeah, Steel Kings is basically foolproof if you can get Baron and Mime.
    Spectral deck difficulty 5, had a fantastic club synergy, drawing about 12 cards a hand. Easy win. I misread the cards and fuck 2 flushes, miss a win by 4k points. Fml.

Stick on the high contrast cards option and never fuck a flush again (you will still fuck them).
  • Thought it was just me who missread clubs and spades all the fucking time
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have that card setting on, I just misclicked twice like a gimp
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    X5, X1.5, pair of 6's at level 4 and Mercury at X1.5 due to Observatory this is gonna be fun

2379780-20240502003919-1.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up the upgrade on Steam. Always getting buffoon pack after the 1st blind is nice. And if you skip for a non common joker it's free in the shop.  Also Nice.  Going by the upgrade notes there's a pile of changes I haven't played it enough to notice though.

Working on the Nebula deck for a win now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    oh....merc on sale now.

Balatro (playbalatro.com)
  • Had my first 10k hand last night. Small steps.

I don't feel now it's as perfectly crafted as I first thought. Bad shops can really mess you up, and that kinda randomisation irks. I guess the vouchers affecting shop stock are the way.
  • Still, it's some game. Perfect oh just one more go stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The randomisation is what charms me. You just can't win every time.  But you suspect you might be able to...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's like Slay the Spire and they ran a program and turns out 99% of runs or so are winnable it's just right choices at the right time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - it feels that way. Especially as more and more jokers unlock.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got the Nebula win and am now having a crack at yellow. Nearly had it - was on Blind 7 and the boss blind debuffed the suit I had invested in - but even with that I  was only 3,000pts short of getting past it.

Regret passing on the voucher early in the run that allowed me to reroll the boss blind for $10.......

Once I get the win I'll have unlocked the challenge mode. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got the yellow deck win. The challenges look to add a fair bit of play value onto this. Splendid stuff.
  • It's like Slay the Spire and they ran a program and turns out 99% of runs or so are winnable it's just right choices at the right time.

Yeah, on White Stake winning when you know what you’re doing is almost a given. The randomisation isn’t that much of a burden really, unless you are inflexible or valuing jokers that aren’t actually that valuable - but learning those can be tough.

Card Packs, Celestial Packs and Arcane Packs paper over most of the bad Joker choices you’re given, and ante progression is quite chill. When the theories behind consistent scoring click, and you flex to what you’re given, you can fly.

An early trap is things like flushes plus one of the suit jokers (lusty, greedy) which used to give you +4 mult per suit (now give you +3). On the surface that sounds amazing, and you see Half Joker (+20 for three or less hands) as bad because pairs and high cards are rubbish, right? But pairs and high cards are so reliable, and the mult is the exact same - even better now! - that it makes the swap almost automatic, when you know that it’s the right choice. Learning that is tough though, as your assumption tends to be “bigger hands score better”.

It’s very good to stop thinking about it as poker beyond Ante 1, and instead aim for the goal of cleaning 100k in three hands by ante 8.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye.... I'm addicted to flushes but I've done just as well using them without the suit joker. Not consistent though... It needs single minded deck building. Need to look at using pairs or 3s as using the tarot to duplicate cards and steel cards is probably better.
  • Without even thinking I somehow always lean towards two pair, every single time. Even when it's not necessarily beneficial. Stupid brain.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried a couple of runs doing that - I can see it working OK - but I need to rethink my jokers and my use of tarots. Hard to pivot but I know I need to change to make it to the next level of scoring.

Made it to the boss blind of ante 10 today. Wasn't far off the pace but it was flush dependant.  I really needed a joker to repeat cards - though I suspect most strategies need that. There's a joker for repeating the steels in hand too which I haven't made any use of yet.
  • My best run was doing just Two Pairs. Had Jokers that had synergy with it.

Beaten 4 of the basic colour decks now (the first 4) but never made it past the small blind in ante 11 I think. The one where the score required hikes up to 7m or summat.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • High Card is The Way.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skipping blinds can be good for your health. I dip in and out of this one. It's a nice wee game to have sitting off the side. Doubt I'll delete it off the machine for the time being.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Wow this is good. Why didn't anyone tell me I've been missing out?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It unlocks like a peacocks tail. Masterful really. Must have been in test play for an age.
  • I'm hooked
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So with pairs and high cards I guess you planet card them to the hilt and try and get steels and seals with tarots? You need combined multiplier jokers as well of course. Also use tarots to create lots of copies of cards of high rank too? Think its the death card that makes copies. But there are others. There's a spectral card that sets a hand to all the same rank..so you could push for 4s and even 5s.
  • davyK wrote:
    So with pairs and high cards I guess you planet card them to the hilt and try and get steels and seals with tarots? You need combined multiplier jokers as well of course. Also use tarots to create lots of copies of cards of high rank too? Think its the death card that makes copies. But there are others. There's a spectral card that sets a hand to all the same rank..so you could push for 4s and even 5s.

Planets help, or something like Burnt Joker to level up without Planet Cards, but really you just need  the regular scoring stuff:
    A Good Chip Joker (Stuntman, Bull, Blue)
    A Good scaling +Mult Joker (Supernova, Bootstraps, Fortune Teller, Ride the Bus))
    As many sources of xMult as you can, preferably scaling stuff (Hologram, Constellation).

High ranking cards don't matter with High Card - 11 chips vs 2 chips is never going to be the difference between a win or a loss after all of your other scoring factors. bonus, glass, stone, lucky, and mult enhancements are good, as are foil, holographic, and polychrome. Steels in hand are also good, though honestly because they trigger before your jokers their main use is alongside Mime.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a go at using pairs there. Red deck with the red chips. Got to blind 7 first go. There's definitely less stress this way - no fishing for flushes at any rate.

Threw planets at the pair, high card and two pair when I could and I tried to copy cards to create more duplicate ranks.  Had a chip raise joker (cards left in deck I think it was) and had one that added to the multiplier each time I played a hand (and takes one off with each discard) got it to +30 but also polychromed it so I got x1.2 .  Also had the one that gives a x2 if you have a face card.

Use tarots to add steels and red seals when I could. Also used them to convert to bonus and lucky cards when I could - all helped with the chip count for the multipliers to work on.

The beauty of pairs is you can play a pair and get rid of 3 cards without burning up a discard (which helped with the joker I had).  It also makes having stones worthwhile too as you can chuck it up with a pair or high card.

See your point re high rank cards. Makes sense. I'd just create duplicate ranks to reduce the number of unique ranks a bit and see if I can fluke a 4 or 5 of a kind. If I get a card repeater that would feed off those.
  • Polaroid (x2 for first scoring Face Card) can be a bit of a trap because it triggers before Jokers trigger, so you are only multiplying your hands base mult. Works well with Sock and Buskin (retrigger Face cards) and Hanging Chad (retrigger first scoring card).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - noticed that. I move the face card over to the right but when playing pairs that doesn't really matter. Helped with flushes.

Wonder when I will remember the joker names!!  :)
  • Moving it to the right doesn't work either, the trigger order means it scores before Joker - trigger orders are weird until you see it often enough. It goes Scored cards left to right, hand left to right, then Jokers left to right - hence why you always stack xMult after your +Mult, and why things like Steel Cards are weak until they are retrigger over and over.
  • Hand size down to 2 on Plasma Deck, haha.

image.png?ex=663a91f8&is=66394078&hm=6490cd29e26546a0d9a3bd7f67397108d72f9a7a389fce3c725ba43a04c4825b&

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!