Balatro - joker's on you
  • I have a £15 Xbox voucher burning a hole. It my finally be time.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I bought Balatro on Steam after playing it a ton on switch. Second run went well!

image.png?ex=662fee89&is=661d7989&hm=9dcc3f8709b2371fd8d5015653640882571925e990ef4134b1636c169d6f09d2&

QFPT

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was going to get it for Switch as well but I'm going to stay with Steam.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I don't regret getting it on Switch first as it was a good way to start playing, but I find it more comfortable on PC. Quintessential second screen game.

Last night I just couldn't stop winning. Fresh save takes so many junk jokers out of the pool.

image.png?ex=66300f01&is=661d9a01&hm=feb0ad8de95146144ae644efdb08dbd663f0300d2c361a21e19c8f92eb450fab&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=397&height=516

It really does just get the juices going, this one. The design philosophy is fantastic too, I love that he saw one luck-based roguelike being played on a Northernlion stream and then refused to play any roguelikes while developing Balatro. It's been interesting to read him reflect on that stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can see how playing it handheld on Switch would be very pleasant.
  • davyK wrote:
    I can see how playing it handheld on Switch would be very pleasant.

Makes it great to play in the bath, or just before going to sleep, or during a break from work... basically any time I shouldn't be playing it really.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’m double-dipping as soon as it hits iOS.
  • Olimite wrote:
    I’m double-dipping as soon as it hits iOS.
    Jesus, having it on the phone is going to be something
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That and Marvel Snap. Jesus, I could probably sell at least one of my consoles!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Boss blind that allows no discards.

Cheers for that.

Game Over.
  • Depending on your jokers and which cards you're going for, I find that Boss Blind quite straightforward, because if you're fishing for Flushes you can play decent high card/two pair hands with three/four other cards to get rid of the junk at the same time. It's one hand/no duplicate hand types that get me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried that but the game just didn't give me the suit cards. Had a great set of jokers too. The one hand / no dup hands are killers too of course. :) I had x3 mult joker for repeating a hand!
  • Card Sharp is like the anti-flush Joker for me. Flushes are much harder to fish for than High Card/Pair, so when i've got that badboy in rotation you can bet I am swapping to High Card and Pairs.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Card Sharp is like the anti-flush Joker for me. Flushes are much harder to fish for than High Card/Pair, so when i've got that badboy in rotation you can bet I am swapping to High Card and Pairs.
    Yeah, pumped up pairs are good
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm focusing a bit too much on flushes I think. It's hard to resist using tarots to convert cards to a suit if you get the suit joker.

There's always the chance of getting straight flush too and if you get a repeater card (e.g. hack joker) and any decent multiplier joker you're well set...
    .....unless of course a boss blind debuffs your suit.  :)

Try and convert to steel cards when I can for that multiplier effect.

But it's amazing how a high card or a pair can amass points with the right combo. :)

I've reverted to the original red deck to get a win with. Got the win with blue quite quickly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Update is available on steam

That's not appearing in my steam account...still on 1.00

(edit : is for public testers?)
  • Finally dipped my toes after pages of threatening to. Oh my, this is good. I'm obviously very green but still finding satisfying moments, and unlocked the next deck. Do I move on once I've cleared on full ante?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Finally dipped my toes after pages of threatening to. Oh my, this is good. I'm obviously very green but still finding satisfying moments, and unlocked the next deck. Do I move on once I've cleared on full ante?

Whatever you wanna do lad. Can try Endless, another deck, increasing difficulty levels on each deck. You can be whatever you want to be and nobody can stop you.

• Okay so just keep doing runs and hope to find funky ass shit? Sweet.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Okay so just keep doing runs and hope to find funky ass shit? Sweet.

Yes basically, the more you play the more you unlock and the more wild it gets.
  • Oh my good god Raised Fist, I love you. Made ante 4 for the first time but some shit tactics from me had me 200 chips away from the BB on my last hand. Bah.

Another run. This is great. Fuck my entire life when it hits android btw.
  • Had a couple of almost-mint runs over the last two days, using DNA to clone steel cards. One run had the steel joker and the planet-multiplier-joker dude. Got up to ante 13 but couldn’t scale it up enough. Next run had dna again, and the planet card multiplier, but this time I was cloning steel kings with a blue tag, so hitting a couple of planet cards each hand and a new steel king. Needed to get the king-multiplier joker to really get it going though. Lost at ante 11.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finally dipped my toes after pages of threatening to. Oh my, this is good. I'm obviously very green but still finding satisfying moments, and unlocked the next deck. Do I move on once I've cleared on full ante?
    Whatever you wanna do lad. Can try Endless, another deck, increasing difficulty levels on each deck. You can be whatever you want to be and nobody can stop you.

This... try and beat all the decks and then you have chip difficulty levels for each. Just going for clears has a pile of replay. Then there's endless mode for each combo of deck and chip difficulty....
  • I feel I'm really only scratching the surface. Which is absolutely fine!
  • Okay so just keep doing runs and hope to find funky ass shit? Sweet.

If you go on to the collection page, you can see the unlock conditions for everything. Some of them are a little specific and you probably won't stumble on them through natural play.

Don't really think about Endless Mode as a goal, beating Ante 8 is the goal. Anything after Ante 8 is just pushing your deck as far as it can go, or giving you more time to achieve some of the harder joker unlocks like Stuntman, which requires a single hand score of 100,000,000. Possible before Ante 8, but often you need to squeeze a few more shops for juice to get there.
  • Many thanks. Got to Ante 6 on my last run but unfortunately pressed play hand instead of discard, done that about three times now, ruining a run. Hmph.

What a game. Raving about it to people in work.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I do the same thing. Stupid muscle memory!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The 5 card boss gets me as I often use less and fuck it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    2nd deck beaten. Fuck you, game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!