Balatro - joker's on you
  • Update from the dev about an upcoming update:
    Spoiler:
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I finally won a run!!!
    Nice work! Know a few people are stuck at the Not Won Yet stage, but you'll get there eventually, and get better at making it happen more often. It's far more RNG than something like Slay the Spire and deffo leans into those slot machine vibes, BUT one thing it shares with StS is that it forces players that want to succeed to manage both what do I need to win and what do i need to survive the next round?

I think this is key.  I tend to approach it in stages - first ante you'll likely survive whatever, so you need to try and have at least one joker that's going to give you some easy multis to help you cruise through the next few. Ideally I want at least one that's going to build up for later - but easy chips/multis now are the priority.  Antes 2-3 are usually then me working out what my strategy's going to be based on the cards I've been given - selling off jokers when better ones appear to favour my plan.  By ante 4-5 I usually have a clear idea what I'm going for, and at least one x multi in my favour - and hopefully a bit of cash so that I can rely on interest and ditch the money making jokers.  The rest is then usually just cementing The Plan (which may mean planets, or manipulating the deck, or whatever). It's very rare that I crash out in the later antes (and if I do it's because I did something daft) - quite often the jokers will do almost all the work, and I've had runs where the hands played have almost become irrelevant.

It's a game where most of the tension is near the start/middle, and the final few bits usually feel like victory laps - so winning feels pretty good.  (At least at base difficulty). I think it also gets significantly easier once you've unlocked a few more jokers and coupons. For all my waffling above, I'm still not convinced that the fact I now rarely lose is down to skill, and suspect it's more that the game gives me far more tools to enable me to win.

Yeah, would agree with most of this, with the slight caveat that Ante 1/2 can be awful with certain higher ante + deck combos. Like, yes you can survive, but it’s easy to get stuck with bugger all money and no good jokers in bad situations.

I tend not to worry too much about that most of the time though, as I’m enjoying seeing how certain decks function and change joker selection. Really enjoying Plasma at the moment.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Question. Spoiler the answer if you want.

Does the ‘Blank’ voucher actually do nothing? I bought it once and didn’t notice anything and it’s just come up again in my current run.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Question. Spoiler the answer if you want. Does the ‘Blank’ voucher actually do nothing? I bought it once and didn’t notice anything and it’s just come up again in my current run.
    Spoiler:
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Thanks!

That run ended abruptly thanks to The Arm. What a bastard!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can also cheese that by buying it, quitting to main menu straight after, load back in and buy again. It adds to a tally.
  • Argh! Ante 7 on orange stake. Nice pair build, using clubs and aces to build. Fell short by a few chips. Hmph.
  • Amazing one guy designed this, it's so finely balanced
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Mentioned in the discord but a former Edge forum / The Player / BnB alumni is involved with this - publisher big guy is none other than Rob Crossley.
  • Oh hey! Now I absolutely have to get it. He was always such a nice dude to me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I went back having not played for a couple of weeks. Leaned in to skipping blinds a little with a joker that rewarded it (plus tag shenanigans), managed to nerf two bosses, and hence got my second win hurrah. So that's base level on the second and third packs done, and I guess a few more bits unlocked along the way.

Learning singer better teckers too, will hopefully manage an non base level win at some point, and a couple of other packs too, we'll see...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's basically the best rogue since StS. I wouldn't change a thing about it, despite playing 4 hours last night without a win.
  • It's basically the best rogue since StS
    Yeah although I would say shogun showdown is up there (but it’s more into the breach than sts)
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Mentioned in the discord but a former Edge forum / The Player / BnB alumni is involved with this - publisher big guy is none other than Rob Crossley.

There's a discord?

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Did my first red stake. Picked yellow deck as I figured it would offset the lack of funds, and it worked out nicely. On a whim I also picked up the banana - which I always skip as it seemed pointless.

Folks, I recommend you buy the banana.
    Spoiler:
  • Here’s some nice banana facts to go with your new found banana love (perhaps one for the QI thread:
    Spoiler:
  • Argh! Last two runs on orange stake. Got to boss blind on ante 8 and fallen short by the smallest margin both times. Had such a good build on this last one as well, the +mult for not playing face cards, +chips for playing 4 cards, x3 for replaying hand type, and two other x3 cards.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I had 8 aces of spade in one run, with 2 KS, 4QS, 3 JS and 4TS to back them up. And side multipliers.

Then spades got nerfed by the boss and I had nothing to un-nerf. Fuck you, boss.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finally semi-broken the game.  With high card and four different suits in play, I automatically get (7 + 64) x 2.75 x 4.1 x 3 = 2400 multiplier.  And that's just ya basics.  On to ante 11 and hoping to build a bit more from here too...
  • Like this one?
    The Daddy wrote:
    A legendary joker that
    Spoiler:

And another joker that
    Spoiler:

It looks like this:
    Spoiler:

• Won my first run tonight with the green deck. Delighted.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Twice tonight I got done in on the Ante 12 boss. Was hitting about 150mil per hand, but only had 4 hands and the blind was lolololol
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    am done for tonight fucks sake

9641926e1802f5ea256eb820d5bb4b6e.png
  • Damn.

I suck at higher antes as I'm not good enough to get in a position to start farming red seals and glass/polychromatic cards and that seems to be the only way to scale enough at the higher levels.

Currently working on getting a win with the orange stake. Almost had it with vampire and the joker that turns face cards gold but totally fucked it not realising the boss was only play one hand and not 1 hand type.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I look to get a decent +mult joker and then try to hit as much dollar as I can first two antes. If I get an Ante down voucher it's always a take. Once you're hitting 40-50 dollars or more you can start properly building. Early Egg is lovely too, as is credit card.
  • The time I took credit card and had the boss that sets your money to zero was very enjoyable.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah that's glorious, same as Spectral that gives rare joker and sets it to 0. Some awesome synergies in this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have now beaten all the starter packs hurrah

Have not had ten jokers lol
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have no clue how to do what you guys are doing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I have no clue how to do what you guys are doing.

Take defeats on first Ante. It's the same as StS, don't rest first floor. Wait til you have a nice skip on boss blind, like next jokers and cards are free etc. Build from there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!