Balatro - joker's on you
  • I have only have two more decks to unlock, stuck on the green difficulty - utter bitch

I was ok with green, but blue was hard work. On black now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I feel like I'm getting worse at this game not better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    22 fucking hours already in this stupid game, which is a huge amount for me. Can't stop playing the damn thing but haven't beaten any deck yet. Last boss of the last ante fucked me. Fuck this game.
  • Beat black chip on red deck last night, had a good pair-based set-up but got screwed in the post-game by the boss that only lets you play each hand type once.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The must play 5 cards boss is a bastard because I always forget and lose where I should easily win. Ruined a great 4 card flush multi run that way.
  • This is ok. Enjoying it so far.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Apparently I've played 21 hours of this, which is a lot more than I thought.  

Have so far cleared the core 5 decks, and am now working through the ones they unlock.  
    Spoiler:
    Haven't upped the difficulty yet, and to be honest not sure if I particularly want to, purely from the perspective of making sure I stop again at some point.

Black deck caused me the biggest hill so far, as the initial section's tricky until you get a few jokers under your belt.  In general though I feel like I have a much better idea of what I'm doing than before, and the last few runs pretty much managed themselves after the first couple of antes.

It's really satisfying when you get a whole bunch of complementary multipliers kicking off at once.

My favourite combo (though by no means the most powerful) was the card that gives +1 mult for every hand played and - one Mult with every discard, paired with the one that gives an extra 3 hands but no discards. Which actively encouraged just playing any old hand in order to discard stuff without penalty, and piling up that Mult in the process.  Made for a very different game.

Last run I cloned the x3 multi if hand contains just clubs and spades, which resulted in some fairly ridiculous scores, once I'd got a few other jokers getting the base multi up.

Also, didn't realise how important the order of the jokers across the top is to the score, until I hit the boss that shuffles them. (Though it's easy to work out which is which and move them back again...)
  • The luck of the draw is really on which Jokers come out and which order.
    Playing this less but it's still nice as a pallet cleanser or when gaming time is short.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Fell at the second to last hurdle on purple difficulty last night. I was 10 chips short against big blind on ante 8. Argh!
  • I still don't understand what money does lol.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I still haven’t won, even once.

Still love playing!
  • I’ve still only managed about 3 hours of this.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I still don't understand what money does lol.

You… buy stuff. At the shop.

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Getting a joker that makes you money at the beginning is a big help. Buy every celestial card you can, but particularly for the hand you're focusing on. Level up a flush and get the joker that allows you 4 card flushes and runs, then bonuses for a particular suit, and you can smash through some antes.
  • or bang the fuck out of pairs, the card that makes every card register as a face card has some great combos

• I do all this stuff but it never seems like enough to carry me through the latter antes. You deffo need a plan and be willing to change it up often, but I find I just get outmatched by the boss blind 99% of the time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I still haven't beaten any deck.
  • Seems to be a nice late night Zen game for just chilling out.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    Seems to be a nice late night Zen game for just chilling out.
    or sobbing yourself to sleep cause you *just* missed ante 8 boss

• This game doesn’t actually explain how to play poker. In a weird way I can respect that, even if it means I will never get around to playing it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you can play Yahtzee you can play Balatro.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kicking myself yesterday with what was setting up as a perfect run, with the joker that scored every card played and another that gave x3 multiplier for a hand including all four suits and another copying it. Even had a voucher that would let me reroll the boss blind - which I forgot before getting embroiled with a blind that debuffed clubs, meaning all my scoring went out the window. Sigh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I need to ask the baby Balatro question - do any currencies carry over on runs are or they all bespoke?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    So I need to ask the baby Balatro question - do any currencies carry over on runs are or they all bespoke?

Bespoke. Only thing you get post run is unlocks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What I thought, thanks for confirming
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You're welcome I'm selling my tips book for Balatro for a tenner also usual PayPal thanks
  • does said guide include how to stop playing the stupid game?

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes - break console or PC. You can have that one for free.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Kicking myself yesterday with what was setting up as a perfect run, with the joker that scored every card played and another that gave x3 multiplier for a hand including all four suits and another copying it. Even had a voucher that would let me reroll the boss blind - which I forgot before getting embroiled with a blind that debuffed clubs, meaning all my scoring went out the window. Sigh.

I'm finding my biggest enemy in this game is myself.  I forget to re-roll boss blinds.  I forget that I have Tarot cards that would get me out of trouble right there. I forget that it's the boss where you have to play 5 cards.  And absolutely every run through, at least once, I hit the "discard" button when I meant to play a hand.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Kazuo wrote:
    Kicking myself yesterday with what was setting up as a perfect run, with the joker that scored every card played and another that gave x3 multiplier for a hand including all four suits and another copying it. Even had a voucher that would let me reroll the boss blind - which I forgot before getting embroiled with a blind that debuffed clubs, meaning all my scoring went out the window. Sigh.
    I'm finding my biggest enemy in this game is myself.  I forget to re-roll boss blinds.  I forget that I have Tarot cards that would get me out of trouble right there. I forget that it's the boss where you have to play 5 cards.  And absolutely every run through, at least once, I hit the "discard" button when I meant to play a hand.
    Aye wish there was a multiplier for every time I play the *perfect hand* but get's disqualified cause it has to be 5 cards

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!