Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Thought I was on for a win today until the boss killed my discards. Arrrgh!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Think my fave joker is still the +15mult when 0 discards. And the Park the bus one not to use face cards, can build some mega decks.
  • Just realised there's a difference between + and x multipliers
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yep, 45 degrees
  • Just realised there's a difference between + and x multipliers

Yep. + multis are handy early (especially the ones that grow) but it’s the x multis you need towards the end. And remember the jokers fire in order, so put the x multis last…
  • You... can order them?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You... can order them?!

Jesus christ
  • Think it's time I get this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You... can order them?!
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Can I call him a moran yet?

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Permission granted muzz go wild
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's a wonder he's able to get out the house each morning

Oh wait, he doesn't
  • You can also put the played cards in a specific order, and the cards in your hand, so make sure your bonuses are always hitting with any multiplying cards going last.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Fuck me. I didn’t realise you could order the jokers either.

What should I prioritise?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Fuck me. I didn’t realise you could order the jokers either.

What should I prioritise?

I go non-mult jokers first, then +mult jokers, then xmult at the end. That way it'll do whatever, add the mult, then multiply for maximum rudebwoy
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    aye - leave the multipliers to the end.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Had another quick blast.  Finished the...
    Spoiler:
    I'm not sure whether I'm getting better, or whether some of the later decks are just significantly easier, but I've done the last 3 first time. (I'm guessing it's the latter explanation).

That said, I think my plan's still to work through decks as they're presented rather than tackling other difficulty levels at present.  I'm enjoying the gentle changes of rules, whereas "more of the same but harder" appeals less....  (Looking at the remaining decks, they look potentially a bit trickier in any case)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Nice work DS/Davy. Will try later.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Nice work DS/Davy. Will try later.

It can make a huge difference to the scores...
  • After about a million attempts, I’ve finally defeated purple chip on red deck! That was hard work!
    Spoiler:
  • Just completed a Blue Stake run, so only 3 more difficulty tiers to go. Also managed to do so with a Madness as my first joker, which is never really taken much before.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I finally won a run!!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Still no wins, but a lovely run today, picked up the odds and evens joker multipliers and hit the full house tarot hard.

What a fuckin game.
  • Did the last two decks you can get before you up the difficulty I think...
    Spoiler:
    I made the first one unnecessarily difficult for myself by reducing the deck to just over 20 cards with the Erosion and Trading Card jokers.  Which basically left no room for discards (the deck does not loop back round Slay the Spire style). Made it pleasingly tense towards the end - though I had at least whittled it down with a certain amount of sense so pretty much every hand was a good 'un.

The second of those decks was just plain fun.  There's an obvious strategy to go for, and whilst it gave me literally none of the jokers that would have made that easy, it was a relatively obvious route through, so I had fun messing abut with different combinations and synergies just to see what happened.

Now trying to decide whether to do challenges next, higher difficulties, or quit whilst I'm ahead...
  • I opted to quit… it didn’t last long.

tin_robot wrote:
    (the deck does not loop back round Slay the Spire style)

This I did not know.
  • I'm liking this but still to win through a full run.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Olimite wrote:
    I finally won a run!!!

Nice work!

Know a few people are stuck at the Not Won Yet stage, but you'll get there eventually, and get better at making it happen more often. It's far more RNG than something like Slay the Spire and deffo leans into those slot machine vibes, BUT one thing it shares with StS is that it forces players that want to succeed to manage both what do I need to win and what do i need to survive the next round?
  • Olimite wrote:
    I finally won a run!!!
    Nice work! Know a few people are stuck at the Not Won Yet stage, but you'll get there eventually, and get better at making it happen more often. It's far more RNG than something like Slay the Spire and deffo leans into those slot machine vibes, BUT one thing it shares with StS is that it forces players that want to succeed to manage both what do I need to win and what do i need to survive the next round?

I think it's a failing of a lot of roguelikes that I play that the first win is such a random mountain that you never feel you made it because you got better, you only made it because after trying for 50 times this time the game decided you were going to win. Binding of Isaac was great at getting you through the first level and therefore making you feel a bit of power. Balatro is skating on thin ice for me right now. There's not any effort to play it, it doesn't require fast reflexes a la Dead Cells, and it's very chill and you can quit at any point, but it's getting to that point where I would have expected to have some kind of victory under my belt. There's no carrot here, just tons of chill stick.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I finally won a run!!!
    Nice work! Know a few people are stuck at the Not Won Yet stage, but you'll get there eventually, and get better at making it happen more often. It's far more RNG than something like Slay the Spire and deffo leans into those slot machine vibes, BUT one thing it shares with StS is that it forces players that want to succeed to manage both what do I need to win and what do i need to survive the next round?

I think this is key.  I tend to approach it in stages - first ante you'll likely survive whatever, so you need to try and have at least one joker that's going to give you some easy multis to help you cruise through the next few. Ideally I want at least one that's going to build up for later - but easy chips/multis now are the priority.  Antes 2-3 are usually then me working out what my strategy's going to be based on the cards I've been given - selling off jokers when better ones appear to favour my plan.  By ante 4-5 I usually have a clear idea what I'm going for, and at least one x multi in my favour - and hopefully a bit of cash so that I can rely on interest and ditch the money making jokers.  The rest is then usually just cementing The Plan (which may mean planets, or manipulating the deck, or whatever). It's very rare that I crash out in the later antes (and if I do it's because I did something daft) - quite often the jokers will do almost all the work, and I've had runs where the hands played have almost become irrelevant.

It's a game where most of the tension is near the start/middle, and the final few bits usually feel like victory laps - so winning feels pretty good.  (At least at base difficulty). I think it also gets significantly easier once you've unlocked a few more jokers and coupons. For all my waffling above, I'm still not convinced that the fact I now rarely lose is down to skill, and suspect it's more that the game gives me far more tools to enable me to win.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I opted to quit… it didn’t last long.
    tin_robot wrote:
    (the deck does not loop back round Slay the Spire style)
    This I did not know.

I found out the hard way and was lucky to get away with it!
  • still think these 3 phases best summarises it:

poker > cheating at poker > points generating machine
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!