Balatro - joker's on you
  • I can't my wife away from this now, she racked up three completions in a row yesterday. Probably for the best that she's actively keeping me off of it as a result.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Two legendary joker 'The Soul' cards, in two tarot packs in a row. Madness.
     Triboulet (every King or Queen played gives x2) and Chicot (disables every boos blind).
    bcb474667f9a6529ed02a061bfa7709b.png
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And now one in my fourth tarot pack. Wtf. Perkeo. Sounds stupidly fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The bean joker is sweet. Got one recently. More cards = more points. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Finally beat gold stake (red deck). Have to say, it wasn’t much fun. Got to really hit a scalable +mult and +chip to beat it, with a couple of decent x-mult jokers. Definitely having a break from this game now!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Big balance patch incoming which has some really interesting changes.

https://nintendoeverything.com/balatro-update-announced-version-1-0-1-patch-notes/

Some highlights for me:

Introducing two new joker mechanics Perishable and Rental for higher stakes which seem more interesting

Changed Orange Stake
    Scrapped increasing pack cost
    Added new ‘Perishable’ mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a ‘Perishable’ sticker, disabling them after 5 rounds

Changed Gold Stake
    Scrapped -1 hand size
    Added new ‘Rental’ mechanic, Jokers have a 30% chance to have a ‘Rental’ sticker (stacks with eternal/perishable), making them cost $1 up front and $3 every round
    Changed the first shop in every run to always include a normal Buffoon pack as one of the pack options
    Changed Uncommon tag – Now makes the uncommon joker free

Changed Rare tag – Now makes the rare joker free

Negative, Polychrome, Holo, Foil tags all make their respective joker free

Also big To Do List and Hanging Chad changes that seem seem great:

Changed To Do list – poker hand no longer changes on payout, always changes at end of round (won’t get stuck on Straight Flush)

Changed Hanging Chad – Now retriggers the first played card 2 times instead of once
    To Do List not getting bricked by Straight Flush and changing each round is huge.
  • Well I’m having some extra kudos for beating a gold stake before the patch.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Finally beat the first deck. Got a great combo of holographic joker that was giving me a payout after every blind (which had reached about 20$ every time by the end) and a joker with an accumulating +4 multiplier every time I skipped a booster, so I was essentially skipping every booster along the way for a nuts multiplier by the end.
  • Okay this is great. Had my first win last night. Got the joker that gives multipliers to all of a given suit, then copied it (fortunately they always remain in sync, so every round getting multiplied multiplier or multipliers on the same suit), then the joker that gives me x15 with no discards remaining. Game strategy was pretty easy and consistent; throw away everything that wasn’t in the multiplied suit and win with a single hand at the end. Things got a bit silly when I picked up the joker that lets you put together straights with gaps of 1. Where I was previously relying on a flush for my single, winning hand, which would typically net me 80,000, suddenly I found myself consistently hitting straight flush every round, brining in 300,000+.

• I almost got my win last night. But the Crimson whatever boss on Ante 8 would randomly block one of my jokers each hand and it fucked me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Update is available on steam
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Ah nice, will give that a go later.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was seemingly cruising to a first win - had 3 superb jokers in place - but the boss was halving my score every hand and fucked me up.  :(
  • I've been playing this a bunch since last week.

Just last night unlocked the Wee Joker with the 12 Round Win, which was a bit of trial and error to be honest. Highest win is Blue Stake on the Ghost Deck, no wins on Zodiac, Painted, Anaglyph or Plasma yet, and only got one deck left to unlock.
  • I got Baron and Mime really early, then Brainstorm to duplicate Baron. Pushed into steel kings so each one was trigger 1.5 x 1.5 three times. Everything else was just sort of set dressing, had a red card for some extra mult, and a card giving 3x mult for something (can't remember). Never got any economy sadly, so couldn't push further.

Can only imagine how nuts it could have got if I'd had some proper cash.
  • Baron is op. I had the same baron and mime setup the other night but couldn't find any glass or red seals so didn't get past ante 12 with it.
  • I only had a single red seal sadly. Would have loved a Blind Reroll in the shop, but no dice.
  • This might be the first goty since StS
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried the blue deck. That's a big thing for me to do - I'd rather get a winning run on the default/first deck. It does seem "easier" but no win yet.  Had > $100 at one point with nothing to spend it on..  crapped out at 5/8 by a couple of hundred points after some awful hands being dealt to me.
  • This might be the first goty since StS
    yups

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's the product of a particular set of skills.   :)

Wonder just how many hours of play testing this must have had.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This game has now joined the ranks of Tetris, Super Meat Boy and Cave bullet hell.

Seeing cards when I close my eyes even though I'm not playing it that much - 4 hours playtime thus far. Usually takes longer than that. 

Have got to Blue 6/8 so far.

Also that bloody background music is in my head.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First win - used the blue deck. Got the Seltzer Joker which repeats every card. Had club joker and played club flush that had seals and glass cards and all sorts of shit in it. Had steel cards in hand. Busted 5million.  The seltzer joker ran out in blind 7 but I was able to get over the line in blind 8.

Tip for beginners like me - aim for those jokers that multiply the multiplier and use your discards to fish for hands that match your other jokers. Going for "good" hands will only take you so far if they don't match up with the jokers. 

If you get a repeater joker you are well on your way once all that combines.

Have hit 10hrs play :) As I've said before this will last me a long time. (must have had more than 4 hours as claimed in my prev post).

This win has unlocked some mental multiplier jokers.

BalatroHighScore.jpg
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Genuinely feel if the dev adds to this and builds on it its an easy top 10 for me all timer
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I’ve already got 1 and 2 for GotY. This and Prince of Persia will be unsurpassable. Just not sure what order yet.
  • Olimite wrote:
    I’ve already got 1 and 2 for GotY. This and Prince of Persia will be unsurpassable. Just not sure what order yet.
    tru dat

• Thought i was invincible. Was racking up 25mil+ per hand. I just needed to find 5 aces, which was statistically always likely to happen, seeing as they were a third of my deck. Half the time i would have 5 in my opening hand. But then one round it didn't happen. Really annoyed at myself as i could have easily breezed past the target of 20mil by just playing a handful of pairs, but i wanted to trounce the blind, got greedy, lost it all. 

I literally played this the whole day yesterday. I would do the same again today but my girlfriend would be pissed
  • I bought Balatro on Steam after playing it a ton on switch. Second run went well!

image.png?ex=662fee89&is=661d7989&hm=9dcc3f8709b2371fd8d5015653640882571925e990ef4134b1636c169d6f09d2&

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!