Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just managed my first win. Thought I was going to lose it but my final hand was my best hand which managed to get me over the line.
  • Managed my first win, which was ok Switch last night. Got my first win on PS5 tonight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Got my best ever run last night up to ante 15. Five of a kind glass queens with double sock and buskin, negative dusk, brainstrom, photograph, and a triboulet. Picked up a negative business card after this screenshot which meant I was getting loads of money so I could fish for the tarot cards to keep producing glass cards.

I did get finally get a red seal near the end so pivoted to kings which I think got my best score but I fucked up and forgot read the boss blind and died. It disabled all face cards so couldn't do anything.

Ah well, I'll take a best hand of 2.237e22

bk6JIes.jpeg

Ignore the joker order, I was trying to do the maths on what was best to copy. Sock and Buskin with glass was much better than Triboulet.

wla76Xh.jpeg
  • Nice. I’ve been trying to get big scores in my last few runs but haven’t got into the scientific notation yet. Been pretty good at building to ante 11/12 consistently though, I reckon I was one good joker away (the king x1.5) away from the big leagues last night.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think I even have most of those jokers FML
  • You unlock Legendary Jokers from Arcana Packs, can’t get them any other way. The only one there you need to do anything specific for is Brainstorm which is easy enough - discard a Royal Flush, the rest you can just get from the shop. Locked jokers aren’t really stopping win runs, but if you want them you can check the collection for the criteria.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoilers!
  • It’s a literal tab in the menu my dude, and they appear on the title screen with the unlock condition? There’s not really any mystery around it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "You could have known this if you'd read some stuff" doesn't equate to it not being mysterious to me, but whatevs. ("It wasn't a spoiler" always seems a weird response vs "oops sozza" when somebody else feels something spoilered, even when it's a minor thing. Shrug.)
  • Sorry I spoiled some stuff. If felt it was so front and centre in the game that I literally had no idea it could be considered a spoiler. My bad. The game hides basically one thing from you - which I haven't spoiled! Enjoy finding it out!
  • Muzzy being a Cunt as always.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The warm welcome I anticipated after roughly two years of posting maybe once every 8 months.

Winky smiley, and all that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    All good bud I am easily irked today I think. Hugs.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also I should probably read menus more
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have unlocked about 3 legendary jokers but I'm nowhere near getting comfortable with this.   Haven't followed up my blue deck win with a red deck one yet - have come close though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fuck this game. It has started to affect my dreams - it has a really weird way of infiltrating a dream I keep having - which seems to involve me trying to solve a problem and trying to solve it via Balatro's mechanics (particularly around the play and discard buttons) putting me into some sort of mental processing loop.

I'm absorbed by just playing , not particularly with winning and progression (although that is a huge hook). It's almost like a pastime like those tile matching games I get obsessed with too.
  • Yeah a few people have commented on it being in their dreams.  Can’t think of another game which engages with your brain in such a way.  Eg i have tried playing it with a podcast on but it doesn’t work yet it’s not the full on immersive type of game.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It has got me thinking about some video games, successful ones, have been based around a traditional game or puzzle that has been augmented into something that would not be practical to implement in reality.

You could take Tetris as the prime example of that - it's an old piece fitting puzzle or a variant on a jigsaw but it's been upgraded to something that wouldn't be able to be represented physically.

You could play Balatro physically but the calculations make it impractical.

Pacman is a bit of a stretch - mazes in puzzle books have been around forever - and implementing a digital maze solving game is at the basis of Pacman and other maze based games.  There's also the basic idea of chase and evade which has been physical for centuries.

They tap into something that is evergreen in its appeal - people still like playing card games and tile/jigsaw puzzles even though superior versions are available digitally. There is a certain kinetic satisfaction to playing those games. It's probably why board games have stayed around and if anything have made a comeback.

It makes me think if someone could come up with a suitably complex card solitaire (ie suit building) game would it be as successful as Balatro or Tetris for that matter. There's something about getting a patience game "coming out" and building on foundations as part of the gameplay is satisfying. If you see someone else play it's hard to resist not pointing out a move they have to make.

Of course Balatro has still to pass the time test - once its given up all of its secrets will it still be playable? For me I think it would be.
  • Fine post Davy.
    Beating the decks is somewhat exciting (got the penultimate pack today, after 3 weeks of trying) but it's not what makes the game special.  I am aware of PC Building Simulator but haven't played it, it comes to mind as a comparison because that's what makes Balatro interesting and somewhat unique - it's the building of a points machine and the number of micro decisions to achieve that which is the joy.  StS had this somewhat but, as far as I remember, not quite as many routes.  The genius of Balatro is the intersections: planet, tarot and enhanced cards, coupons, chips, multipliers, discards, deck size, hand size and money.  Use these tools to build a machine and then decide how to tweak the machine as opportunities arise.

• I'm a fanny. Was on a really great wee joker run with double Hack and a Hanging Chad and was busy farming polychrome glass 2s. Had just gotten a perkeo legendary joker so the next step was the voucher that gives 1.5x for each planet card you hold.

Run was popping off until on ante 10 I wasn't paying attention to score I had to get and didn't bother playing any glass cards "saving" them and died. I'm so annoyed at myself. Wee joker was up to about 3k chips :(
  • Hate it when you get on a run and just underestimate what you’re doing.

Had a run earlier where I was hitting 9 figures for a high card with some steel kings re-triggering, probably made a mistake in reducing my hand size for a negative joker though as it didn’t really help much, would’ve been better off with another king in my hand.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fine post Davy. Beating the decks is somewhat exciting (got the penultimate pack today, after 3 weeks of trying) but it's not what makes the game special.  I am aware of PC Building Simulator but haven't played it, it comes to mind as a comparison because that's what makes Balatro interesting and somewhat unique - it's the building of a points machine and the number of micro decisions to achieve that which is the joy.  StS had this somewhat but, as far as I remember, not quite as many routes.  The genius of Balatro is the intersections: planet, tarot and enhanced cards, coupons, chips, multipliers, discards, deck size, hand size and money.  Use these tools to build a machine and then decide how to tweak the machine as opportunities arise.

That paperclip game is on a similar theme - though there isn't the complexity that Balatro has. That paperclip game had it's hooks into me until I completed it over a weekend.
  • Two more daft wins tonight, one on Green Stake with a Bull that was giving me over 900 chips.
    image.png?ex=662aa819&is=66295699&hm=5a52cad17aa56788bbe510fcee5a2c9b31eb925f040a6d7267352951e651be5a&=

The other on Painted Deck (four Joker max) with more silly money shenanigans and a Blueprint copying Hologram for x4.25 into x4.25. Boss Blind debuffed all cards, beat it with a single number card. Love it.

image.png?ex=662aadb2&is=66295c32&hm=71e587ba8244ec41c36293f80ae2d22291744bfa3780d7330885fa043efd0658&=
  • After 100 hours I just "discovered" challenges, hadn't looked at them before - cracking fun working through them

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that a pun?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got my 2nd win. Did it with the red deck. Got to Ante 10 which is a record for me.

Was cruising to a win with this set of jokers but got shafted on the ante 8 boss blind:
    balatroJokers.jpg

Had another sweet setup with the repeat facecards joker and the "all cards are facecards" joker making me retrigger every card. Was sailing along until I hit a boss blind that caused all face cards to be dealt face down - which meant every card was always face down. By the time I realised I had to ditch the all facecards joker I hard burned through one of my discards and I never recovered.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got a win at my 2nd attempt with the magic deck. Went to blind 10 again but I could have gone further - hadn't beefed up the multiplier in the campfire joker. Silly mistake.

The ante 8 boss blind reset my money when I played a flush but I had jokers that generated money from face cards and diamonds but it hampered my ability to reroll shops.

Got there with diamond flushes and using tarots to convert cards to diamonds as quickly as I could and using planets to beef up the flush.  I suspect that tactic is limited but I didn't get a lot of steel cards and didn't get any red seals either. Stacking the deck with those is probably needed to take it to the next level but I'm currently happy getting clears with the decks.
  • Ghost Deck remains my favourite for the inherent silliness it unlocks.

Hexed my first joker, which was an Eternal Swashbuckler. Then stumbled on an Eternal Egg. Perfect synergy. Shortly after, managed to turn it into a NEGATIVE ETERNAL EGG. Nonsense.

Killed my endless potential by picking up Hit the Road to unlcok it in the collection. Same as it ever was.

image.png?ex=6631d950&is=663087d0&hm=31986e4eb2af336674b15e0ee9054675343aa8d0b3feee8e4cf090c1844c6021&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=790&height=444
  • Nice. Might have a play with that deck next. I’ve been using the deck with just two suits to try and hit a decent run. Finally hit the “e” numbers yesterday with loads of steel kings, the joker that triggers x1.5 on kings and mime to retrigger the steel. Also had steel joker and something else that massively boosted things. High card was under levelled though cos I’d been hitting the flushes early, so only got to ante 14.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Spectral deck difficulty 5, had a fantastic club synergy, drawing about 12 cards a hand. Easy win. I misread the cards and fuck 2 flushes, miss a win by 4k points. Fml.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!