Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    re Polaroid joker (thanks page turn)...
    Tempy wrote:
    Moving it to the right doesn't work either, the trigger order means it scores before Joker - trigger orders are weird until you see it often enough. It goes Scored cards left to right, hand left to right, then Jokers left to right - hence why you always stack xMult after your +Mult, and why things like Steel Cards are weak until they are retrigger over and over.

It scores before the jokers but at least if it's last in the hand it will trigger after any other card related multiplier pluses . It's minor but might just tip the balance if things are tight.

Good pointer about the steel cards triggering before the jokers - hadn't thought of that. But I still like getting them into the hand. I think there's a joker that retriggers the cards not played which would hit them too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, Polaroid is good if you got holo/poly/mult cards in your hand, and if your scoring hand has decent base mult, that's always good.

Any mult is good, in reality, but it's just about learning what to prioritise - steel cards won't save you if your base scoring structure isn't very good, because 1.5x mult is quite low. But it's also not your only value, you've got base mult, base chips - lots of levers to pull. You need them all to get there. Except on the Plasma Deck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got that joker that perm adds 5 chips to any card played.  Had the seltzer joker so it boosted them nicely before it got used up. Was going along nicely but screwed up .  :(   Some runs just don't hand out multipliers or even good mult+ jokers soon enough for me. :(

I've been getting a lot of straights thrown at me early on and it's hard to not use them. Leaves me too lean to progress. Not sure why though - it distracts me and tempts me to invest in a joker that rewards them -  which is - you know - stupid.  

I always try and skip to get the $25 bonus for beating the boss blind early on. Lets me try a reroll if the jokers aren't good. Hasn't worked yet for me.  :(   Will usually skip for a polychrome joker too if I can - early on anyway.
  • It's like Slay the Spire and they ran a program and turns out 99% of runs or so are winnable it's just right choices at the right time.

Not sure this means as much as is implied. In StS the right choices are almost always the most educated/experienced ones. 99% winnable in Balatro could just mean discarding 3 great hands to get an even better hand, albeit against the odds. 

Not dissing the game. I absolutely adore it. Definitely the best game since StS, but it also seems to lack the balance/depth that StS nailed so perfectly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    By the way @tempy , thanks for being so helpful.  You are clearly doing considerably better than I am!!  :)
  • White Stake is definitely balanced enough that I always a feel a win is feasible. The higher stakes - Black and beyond - are a lot tougher due to the advanced scaling. It's very easy to reach for RNG as the reason you lost a run, but just like any other roguelike you have to make your own luck out of the options presented - there's a reason good players can win Gold Stake fairly consistently, and it's through the combined power of Pivoting and Playing What You Got. 

It's inevitable that it will be compared to StS but it's very different in a lot of ways. The thing I prefer about Balatro is that your input to output is far more explicable, and you are told in advance what your win condition is, and outside of two Boss Blinds, the chips required are always the same ever Ante. 

Slay the Spire is much fuzzier on that front - the efficacy of certain cards/deck relic combos harder to intuit without hundreds of hours, the possibility space of hallway fights and elites much wider. StS also doesn't have the immaculate vibes of Balatro, and it's also a much longer time commitment per run, even on the lowest difficulty.
  • davyK wrote:
    By the way @tempy , thanks for being so helpful.  You are clearly doing considerably better than I am!!  :)

Not a problem - I played it a lot when it first came out and all those mistakes were very helpful. I initially felt like a lot of people, that it was RNG as hell, but have come around to it since.

I also am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, I keep making my posts as clear as possible in case other people are reading too, hence why I tend to name jokers and their effects rather than assuming people will know either half of that info. A friend I chat with a lot literally cannot remember the names of jokers, and will only know the effects, whereas I tend to know both.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm thinking pivoting is a key competency to this game once you have a solid knowledge. Too easy to be dogmatic and stick to your guns even if you aren't getting the "right" jokers.

I like a game that has a bit of luck in it. Always have.
  • Sometimes even if you have the "right" jokers on a run, it might be better to cash out and swap to other jokers - you just need to know when it's the right time to do it. Almost all of the common "+mult/+chips for Specific Hand" jokers are mega cool early on but scale so poorly, and a lot of people who lose show me their losing setup and still have +12 mult for Straights in there.

That's why scaling is so important. If you have play some suboptimal hands to power up Green Joker/Ride the Bus/Supernova it will always be worth it when later in the game it's pumping out 30-60 +mult.

Balatro University on YouTube was chatting during one of his videos about how people undervalue Obelisk (x1 base mult x0.2 mult added for each hand played that isn't your most played hand) and when the developer was asked about his favourite/most played jokers, he mentioned Obelisk.

I find it very hard to use well, but it's an extremely powerful joker that keys off pivoting and can scale incredibly high if you are flexible. That's the key to winning, and in that it's quite similar to Slay the Spire - when it gets harder you won't get far by trying to stick to an archetype. Each joker, booster pack, voucher, and skip tag has to be considered.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have used that obelisk joker. Think that was part of one of my wins.  There's the firecamp one but it resets and you need to keep selling cards.

I've unlocked a few jokers by using flushes - there's a bloodstone joker that has a 1 in 2 chance of a x1.5 applied for each heart card. Saw someone couple that up the double odds joker for a x7.5  That looked pretty strong if you converted to hearts but that seems convoluted and going for it is risky.

Bye yeah - ante 10 is where I run out of steam. I know I need to change to reach the next plateau of scoring.  I just fell short of beating that ante once but I was maxed out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You would need to have a few hands at the same usage level to derisk the obelisk I'm guessing. If you have one way ahead of the others it would be hard to change tack.
  • I think the best thing to do for Obelisk is to lean hard into something like Flushes for the first half of your run, then pivot into pairs/two pair/high card. Plenty of jokers can support them.

Alternatively, once you've got your economy going, you just play as many High Card hands as you can each blind, before using your real scoring hand. They score a pittance, but you inflate the number really easily - once you've got it into the high 20s/30s of hands played, you can switch into scoring with better hands and quite easily guarantee you will never have to worry about playing High Card. If a Two pair wins in one hand, you'd need to play 30 blinds to catch up, etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:

At least I didn't offer advice - not like the time I offered advice to @Dubs - who cleared the shmup I had been playing for months (Gigawing) in a day or two!!!

(⸝⸝⸝O﹏ O⸝⸝⸝)
  • You offered advice to Dubs ahhaahhaahhaah oh man.  I almost offered advice to him on Street Fighter.  He picked the game up, learned how to play in a day, and got better than me (after all my years of playing) in maybe anotehr day.  FUCKING MACHINE
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I spent 6 hours on a Trials Evo map to beat him once, I ended up like 8th in the world. Logged back on an hour later and he was 5th in the world.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's the multi genre ability that's particularly annoying impressive.

2-all ura of Ketsui is insane. That alone...but then SF and Trials too?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You offered advice to Dubs ahhaahhaahhaah oh man.  I almost offered advice to him on Street Fighter.  He picked the game up, learned how to play in a day, and got better than me (after all my years of playing) in maybe anotehr day.  FUCKING MACHINE

He was really nice about it too.

• He was so good at Halo too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs is The Terminator.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I did twat him on a few tracks and revisiting older Trials games a few months back I was still above him on leaderboards so he's actually shit i think
  • Got this over the weekend. No regrets, but byebye homelife.

Not won a game yet but got a couple of amazing (for me) set ups going. I also gravitate towards flushes, Davey. Green deck, cos I like monies. Had the joker that treats hearts and diamonds, spades and clubs the same, the mult jokers for hearts and clubs. Winning in one or two hands, rolling in coin, got a voucher to reroll the big boss. Dunno which round I was in but I rerolled and I think I got no discards. I lost, with a beautiful strategy blossoming around me. Shoulda stuck with drawing face cards down.

Did a two pair run, joker for two pairs, mult on face, retrigger face, mult depending on number of tarot used. Spectral card raised all my hand levels which was niiiiiice. Died because of another shitty reroll.

I got good at focussing on jokers early, I need to remember to get the chips up, too. Need to hammer it in my head that I can play discards in my hand if less than 5 cards in it.

Also misclicking the discard and play buttons sucks.

Looking forward to actually winning a game.
  • Fuck knows how the scoring adds up. It's all magic to me with satisfying peggle-like noises the more scoring there is. Can't really predict what any hand is gonna give me outside of broad categories like shit, ok and fuckyes!
  • Always worth remembering that if you haven't got any discards, you can play cards instead. Ideally you want to be winning with a hand or two left over, for cash flow and for security. I think Green Deck is fun but can teach bad habits because of its lack of interest earned on rounds.

As for scoring - just make sure your +Mult Jokers are on the left of your xMult Jokers, that's the most important thing. I feel it's much better to feel out your hands as reckons rather than math anything out.
  • It does just click eventually.

I’ve re-bought on steam, working my way back through the decks from scratch and haven’t lost a run yet (only done 4 though).

Big bonus in the recent update, the blue seal (that gives you a planet card) will always create the planet card for the last hand you played (and can give more than one). Was up to level 25 on high card yesterday.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah when I rebought it on Steam I got four wins in a row, including unlocking Stuntman. Definitely goes to show that knowledge is king.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stuntman is life
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I went back to some base level runs after doing some harder difficulties and it's stupidly easy now there. Love it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Always worth remembering that if you haven't got any discards, you can play cards instead.

Yes, that's the thing I need to remember. I got too used to playing flushes and straights. Gotta get efficient.
  • Yeah flushes and straights have too much variance for too little reward once you get past the first ante, second max.
    Pair or High Card is where it's at.  Love the joker that bumps the level of the first hand you discard.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Will try a high card run, have a couple of jokers in the mix that could start bumping up the mults on that. Not that one though.

Might also do a run where I indiscriminately take all offers that I've not discovered yet, get to unlocking more things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!