Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    This games seesaw's between fun and total fucking irritation. Why can't I just beat the snot out of everything with a sledgehammer? Why does it force me to die or use guns/molotovs? Why can't I seem to combo with a weapon yet some random cunt can't batter me senseless and dodge my own shitty swings.

What the fuck is it going on about double tapping left for an attack? It seems no different. I think I might stop using the stupid analogue.

Edit - Fuck it. I shot him in the back of the head. -1.

ARRARARARAGAGAGHGAH. Why is it so slow to enter my shitty fury mode! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!! I wish I'd bought LFD2 again.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've had not one issue with the combat. In fact, I think it's rather marvellous. 

I haven't felt forced to use guns once. My two handed electric axe is much more fun. As for molotovs, well....it isn't the first game that requires you to use more than one Weapon throughout the game. 
    Fury mode takes, what, 1 second to enter? Tap B heals, hold B enters fury. 

Seriously, some of the stuff being aimed at this game is pretty petty. I'm thinking people are playing this looking for faults because of the Edge review.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Jump on co-op with us sub, I must admit that it would be pretty pants playing solo. Watching your mates get knocked on their arse is good fun, and thugs etc are easier to deal with.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Subbax, you need to play with us as it's been great fun tonight.

There's all sorts of shit going on with the weapons, stuff like how much force they have per hit so it's not all about the total damage number at the top of the weapon stats page. I'm having top fun knocking the zeds on their arses and casually curb stomping them.

Highlight of the night was either the simultaneous electrocution of that Thug by Frantic and Webbins, or the has canister incident on the petrol station roof which saw me flying backwards off the roof onto the road below. Great fun.

I don't know whether it's been patched in after the review, but the way it handles people of different levels playing together is great, far better than Borderlands in that respect. I was playing with two people ten levels above me tonight but it didn't matter at all as every zombie was levelled to each individual player. Even though we're all fighting the same guy, on my screen it had a lower level than on Frantic and Webbins'. Same goes for the weapon drops. They've handled it really well as I thought I was going to end up sitting back trying to keep out of trouble, but thankfully it was as if our charachters were evenly mached so I could get stuck in.
  • Echo above, this game demands to be played co-op, it's designed ground up with it in mind.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, perhaps co-op would be better. How far along are you guys?

I've not read the Edge review, I don't think. I was just gettting irritated by certain things at that point in my playthrough. It's been 90% fun and 10% bollocks but aren't most games?

For me 1 second to get into fury mode, is just under a second too long. I mainly use it as a fallback plan when shit goes wrong and I get swamped. Having to wait has irked me on more than one occasion. The guns issue is probably because I'm playing solo, there's only me to shoot at and 3-4 people shooting at me means I don't last very long, fury mode or not.

To be honest, I chose Sam because I liked Brick. I should've chosen the other fella.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Me and Webbo had done a handful of quests in the second Act, but we've gone back to Sparklys save so he can catch up. Should only take another night or two for him to do so. 

As Sparkly said, it handles different levels perfectly. He also managed to halve the level gap between us in a few hours. Another few and we'll all be back level.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Seriously, some of the stuff being aimed at this game is pretty petty. I'm thinking people are playing this looking for faults because of the Edge review.

I dunno, so far the only concrete defence I've seen of it is LOLOLOL IT MADE SPARKY FALL OVER, which you're not really selling as L4D-level co-op gold, tbh ;)
  • I was playing with two people ten levels above me tonight but it didn't matter at all as every zombie was levelled to each individual player. Even though we're all fighting the same guy, on my screen it had a lower level than on Frantic and Webbins'. Same goes for the weapon drops.

That is not better than Borderlands, btw.  That's a terrible way to do it, you may as well not bother playing co-op!  

Borderlands' nuanced system meant you gained a tangible benefit from playing with higher-level characters as they could take the majority of the damage and do the majority of the killing, but you'd still benefit because of the shared XP.  If the gulf was too wide (although you could still slog it out, because even high level loot you couldn't use would be worth a fortune to you), you could switch and have them join your game; they'd still force the enemies' levels a bit higher and gain you more XP and more benefits, but not as marked as you joining their game.   

There are other intelligent ways to level bad guys to a game, but this sounds stupid.  So if you're level 1 and your kick does 1HP damage, but your level 25 mate does 25HP damage.  The zombie's level 1 with 10HP on your screen but level 25 with 200HP on his screen.  You both hit him.  How much damage does it take? How many kicks to kill it?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Don't play then. Simples. 

Fact is, me Webbo and Sparkly are having a blast playing through it. 

Last night Sparkly was able to jump in with us, even though he'd been on holiday for a week. No problems. Seems to me that's pretty awesome. I'm sure he'd rather be able to actually fight than watch the others do it all. 

Anyway, it's only a game at the end of the day.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    So if you're level 1 and your kick does 1HP damage, but your level 25 mate does 25HP damage.  The zombie's level 1 with 10HP on your screen but level 25 with 200HP on his screen.  You both hit him.  How much damage does it take? How many kicks to kill it?
    Percentages perhaps?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Pretty sure that's right, but didn't really notice tbh.
  • I have put this on my Lovefilm and a mate of mine has bought it from Amazon so can't wait for the Co-Op action, sounds like fun.

Will I need to purchase a code thingy to do Co-Op?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    PC version seems quite entertaining so far.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've just hit Act 3 but I don't mind replaying it at all. Give me a nudge next time you see me. I'm out of the country for a week on Thursday though.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I was playing with two people ten levels above me tonight but it didn't matter at all as every zombie was levelled to each individual player. Even though we're all fighting the same guy, on my screen it had a lower level than on Frantic and Webbins'. Same goes for the weapon drops.

That is not better than Borderlands, btw.  That's a terrible way to do it, you may as well not bother playing co-op!  

Borderlands' nuanced system meant you gained a tangible benefit from playing with higher-level characters as they could take the majority of the damage and do the majority of the killing, but you'd still benefit because of the shared XP.  If the gulf was too wide (although you could still slog it out, because even high level loot you couldn't use would be worth a fortune to you), you could switch and have them join your game; they'd still force the enemies' levels a bit higher and gain you more XP and more benefits, but not as marked as you joining their game.   

There are other intelligent ways to level bad guys to a game, but this sounds stupid.  So if you're level 1 and your kick does 1HP damage, but your level 25 mate does 25HP damage.  The zombie's level 1 with 10HP on your screen but level 25 with 200HP on his screen.  You both hit him.  How much damage does it take? How many kicks to kill it?

You can scrutinise the minutae of levelling details but on Sparky's anecdotal evidence, he wasn't at a disadvantage despite being 10 levels and half an act behind us. Joining his game still ensured he had as fair an experience as us.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I don't think it's a very good way to do it though; essentially, there's no increase in challenge to match the extra players, so every event will always be easier in co-op.  Borderlands had such a neat way to dodge that issue.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Throwing an oar at a zombie never gets old.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I don't think it's a very good way to do it though; essentially, there's no increase in challenge to match the extra players, so every event will always be easier in co-op.  Borderlands had such a neat way to dodge that issue.
    Then this isn't the game you are looking for.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It does get tougher with more players, just not for one poor guy that's lower than everyone else.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    It does get tougher with more players, just not for one poor guy that's lower than everyone else.

It does?  As in it levels up the enemies for everyone except someone lower than the host....?  Or something like that?  That sounds interesting.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not worked it out, but me and Webbo died a lot more last night with sparkly than when we did playing the same bits without.
  • No, no, I managed to maintain my ratio of dying every ten minutes.
  • Plan M wrote:
    Will I need to purchase a code thingy to do Co-Op?

Anyone?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nope. 

It Definatly felt tougher last night, especially tackling zombies solo.
  • I did read that it scales the difficulty the more of you play in co-op, otherwise it would be too easy.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've noticed that my weapons seem to lose usefulness rather quickly. The problem is that I think the old coloured ones are better than the new whites but they probably aren't.

I'm going to start levelling up stuff every hour just to see if I'm right.

I'm using a piranha'd purple sledge I bought from a merchant ages ago but it just doesn't seem to bash heads like it used to.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe the enemies have levelled up. You can repair stuff anyway, can't you?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!