Dead Island
  • I noticed last night that if you do pick up guns, it stockpiles the ammo in your inventory up to 50. No need to hang on to each gun, keep the best and sell the rest.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Maybe the enemies have levelled up. You can repair stuff anyway, can't you?
    Yeah, they're definitely levelling up but the draw of keeping my fancy stuff over white means I'm making it harder for myself.

Next sledge I find will be pimped out to Shark, just need some damn elusive weight plates.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Think I've some weight plates you can have. I'm blades all the way.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm using a white two handed axe that is better than an orange cleaver that's a few levels lower. I think the rarer ones can sometimes seem worse than white, but have better durability etc.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I often detour to grab a quick repair.

I've been carting around a load of stuff for ages. It stopped me from picking up some medicine at one point, I must've grabbed it about 5 times whilst bumbling about in Moresby before I realised I must've had too much junk. Dropped a load of meat and it worked again.

I'll offload some shite onto Jin next time I see her.
  • Eventually I just carried the weapons that filled my quick selection, and about 2 or 3 spare. Got fed up with carrying lots of weapons as I only generally used about 3 anyway, with different stats for different situations.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've been using one, with a couple of spares if i don't pass a repair table. Any others get sold to fund the rather pricey upkeep of my DEATH AXE.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    That is not better than Borderlands, btw.  That's a terrible way to do it, you may as well not bother playing co-op!

Borderlands' nuanced system meant you gained a tangible benefit from playing with higher-level characters as they could take the majority of the damage and do the majority of the killing, but you'd still benefit because of the shared XP.
    I don't see the logic here Elm. Surely just standing there while your mates kill everything is a worse way to play co-op than everyone being able to get stuck in equally?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    9 tonight Sparkly, Webbo, Sub??
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah I'll be there. I might just stand there and watch you lot mash up zombies for me as I hear that's the best way to 'play' these games.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I don't think I'll be able to make it. The missus will be watching all her usual tat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Break both her arms with a baseball bat covered in broken glass. Or Sky+ it or something less violent.
  • I don't see the logic here Elm. Surely just standing there while your mates kill everything is a worse way to play co-op than everyone being able to get stuck in equally?

It would be, but that's not what Borderlands did.  It made things noticeably harder so you couldn't just wait for 4 players to join and wade through everything; but it made the winnings better too.

If you ever got to the stage where the lowest level character didn't fit in due to the disparity, you could get him to host; which had the advantage that things would still be made more challenging to offset the level 69 character who'd just popped in.  It was sensible and never stupidly unbalanced.
  • have you ever played dead island elm? it does make sense for you to give it a go before engaging in lengthy criticism based on a review! after, however, i can certainly see where people mightpick fault with the game, but it's quite enjoyable nethertheless

i think my biggest gripe with the game is actually the setting (paradoxicaly i suppose. maybe the island could be near the shetlands instead or something) , i never like overhot seeming too-yellow and bright colours, it's made quite a few games uncomfortable for me
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's not all like that. The City is pretty gloomy.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm convinced the reviewer never made it as far as the city as I don't seem to remember it being mentioned. I loved using the rooftops as a way to escape the zombies...
  • Yes, I've played it.  Only of an evening at a chum's place, and not enough to really give it a shot, but I will.
  • Played a bit more last night. It's fun, but definitely a mixed bag. The world is solid and appears large. The mechanics are a bit of a mess, but they're not terrible and everything seems to have a purpose.

Weapons wearing down is particularly annoying, but the possibility of running out of weapons keeps the tension up and made me stay on track when doing missions. It's contrived, but saves the game from being too easy. It's already managed to give me a bit of a phobia of cabanas and swimming pools.

The combat is a bit basic and very hit and miss, that pays off in a bizarre way - when you do fluke a decapitation on a charging zombie it feels amazing.

The mission structure would be my biggest gripe, it really is fetch quest leading to fetch quest. Tonally it's b-movie cheese and not in a good way. Plastic character models, bad Australian soap acting, overcooked lighting and an almost fantasy setting kill any sort of realism or horror. I think a lot of people would have liked it more with a darker and more horrific tone, the problem with that is that those sort of games are harder to sell.

I'm certainly finding it worth £15, there's plenty here to enjoy without it being a classic.
  • Is it going to stay £15 at Amazon or is it a limited offer?
  • It might stay a while. They sold out recently and it took a few days for stock to get in. My copy arrives this Friday, apparently. Along with a bunch of X Files DVDs and some Alan Moore comics. :-)
  • Cheers Coopers, I may as well order it now.
  • It's £15 in Tesco.
  • Damn I've ordered it now.  

Don't matter, it's for my brother's birthday which isn't for 3 weeks yet.  I am renting it from Lovefilm before I buy it for myself.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hurry up and catch up Iain, it's much better in co-op.
  • ...and Act II is much darker.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    ...and Act II is much darker.
    The best bit of the game (though I did enjoy the prison), Act II almost seems like a different game to the holiday island setting. This is why I don't think the reviewer played through the whole game.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    They seemed to have squeezed in every accent they can think of. I swear I heard a scouser and I'm just waiting for a Mexican now.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    They seemed to have squeezed in every accent they can think of. I swear I heard a scouser and I'm just waiting for a Mexican now.
    Just like working at Tesco eh!
  • Delivered and installed thanks to Lovefilm. Gonna co op with a mate tonight, really looking forward.
  • Played for a few hours, really good fun. But the map doesn't tell us where to go anymore even though we have just been given a mission to find some pills and bandages for some dying woman.

Halp!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!