Work - The pros and the cons...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    To Tiger 3% is a percentage.

To me that 3% is a child. A life. Let down. Failed. How the fuck anyone could celebrate in the face of that is beyond me.

Yeah, but the child is a prick so...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Learning from the best, I suppose...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This is why Priti Patel turned out to be evil.
  • I actually took a child's house captain badge away yesterday too...

Maybe I am a monster?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "Maybe"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even Johnson had more dignity than this
  • One of my "this job is too busy" moans.  40 patients this morning. BMA currently reckons I'm supposed to see 25 in a whole day. The worst bit isn't so much the feeling knackered, as the suspicion/knowledge that I can't possibly have done all of those as well as I would have liked to.

I did not, however, have the temerity to take someone's House Captain badge away, so still less of a monster than Tiger.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tin > BoJo > Tiger
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can you not leave the patient from India in the corner Tiger-stylee?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Can you not leave the patient from India in the corner Tiger-stylee?

Please tell me the childs name is Baby.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I..

I handed in my notice today.

I have seen the will of the people. I will, however, remain as the teacher for the next few years to ensure a smooth transition.
  • I..

I handed in my notice today.

I have seen the will of the people. I will, however, remain as the teacher for the next few years to ensure a smooth transition.

Unless your students are Indian!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Back to work today. WFH.

Did my return to work. I get full sick pay for time off. Never had this before. Why doesn't everywhere do this it is amazing.
  • So been WFH for I dunno 2.5 years now, even before the pandemic I was WFH at least 3 days a week. The company already asked if we want to stay home or not. Almost all people said Yes to WFH.  New CEO started and in her first address to the company is all "Im not going to mandate anybody return to the office but I want to boost ..." I don't remember the specific wording from here but she seems to want to have people come in. Without saying it she was effectively saying that she cant mandate people to come back to the office but by fuck if she can find a way she will do it. An office where 99% percent of people wear noise cancelling headphones at all times.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Back to work today. WFH. Did my return to work. I get full sick pay for time off. Never had this before. Why doesn't everywhere do this it is amazing.

Because its a cost not every business can afford. Thats not to say its a good or bad thing - I'm in favour of paid sick leave but its pretty obvious why its not unviersal. 

Its coming into law in Ireland and will billed up to a mandatory 2 weeks off sick (assuming you can get a doctor to sign off which is costly in Ireland (€50 to 60 per gp visit) but most doctors are happy to give extended sick notes. Overall this is a good thing, but as said many doctors will give you a 2 week sick note over here if you ask for it. This means that an average employee will have 4 weeks mandatory holiday pay, 2 weeks of bank holidays and potentially 2 weeks sick pay (thats 8 weeks total or 15% of the year) Thats a lot of hours to cover and roughly means that every 6th employee is potentially just cover for the other 5.

I'm very much in two minds on the sick pay. I think its great its going to be in law so it wont be something a company can dodge. But I do have issue with the employee paying a Pay related social insurance tax as well as the employer paying a pay related social insurance tax if employers have to cover the sick leave as well. Employers PRSI is an additional 10% average on every employee and is never brought up when people discuss pay rises over here but is a huge factor.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I remain of the opinion that if a company can’t afford to treat their employees well (sick pay, living wage, not expecting employees to work more than their hours without compensation), then that company doesn’t deserve to be in business.
  • You should try running a small business first.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I only get it for two weeks, but as per years working there it goes up. GMC is technicallly a charity so may be why tbf.

It's just mind-boggling to me as Dunelm you got fuck all despite it being a billion pound company.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I remain of the opinion that if a company can’t afford to treat their employees well (sick pay, living wage, not expecting employees to work more than their hours without compensation), then that company doesn’t deserve to be in business.

Just to be clear - are you advocating no job over one that may not be tip top (let's say min wage , overtime paid but no sick pay)

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m advocating for good jobs over shit ones.
  • Sick pay means that employees don't come in and spread contagious diseases among the workforce because they can't afford to be off work unpaid.

There's no justification for unpaid overtime. If you want someone to work, you pay them for it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My feeling is that if there is a gap in the market for something, someone will come in and fill it. If that person can get away with treating their employees like shit and offering fewer benefits, then they often will, and if they do so, they’ll likely be able to outcompete a business that looks after its employees due to reduced costs. This just ends up pulling standards down for everyone as reducing employee costs becomes one of the major ways of becoming competitive.

Ultimately, if you can’t run a business profitably and look after your employees, go do something else and leave the task someone else who can.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    My feeling is that if there is a gap in the market for something, someone will come in and fill it. If that person can get away with treating their employees like shit and offering fewer benefits, then they often will, and if they do so, they’ll likely be able to outcompete a business that looks after its employees due to reduced costs. This just ends up pulling standards down for everyone as reducing employee costs becomes one of the major ways of becoming competitive.

Ultimately, if you can’t run a business profitably and look after your employees, go do something else and leave the task someone else who can.

Complete agreement.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You should try running a small business first.

I do, and there is no excuse imo for not providing basic welfare for my colleagues. The best thing about small businesses is that everyone can be a stakeholder to at least some extent. If it came down to a choice of having to let someone go OR stop providing welfare and benefits to the right level, then I would consult with everyone and make the joint decision.
  • Everything Yoss says is fine for full-time 9–5 jobs. It’s not so simple for shift-based stuff, like most hospitality roles. If I were a barman, for example, I wouldn’t be expecting full sick pay. Which sucks, but it is the way.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had full sick pay in retail. If retail can manage it, why can’t hospitality?
  • poprock wrote:
    Everything Yoss says is fine for full-time 9–5 jobs. It’s not so simple for shift-based stuff, like most hospitality roles. If I were a barman, for example, I wouldn’t be expecting full sick pay. Which sucks, but it is the way.

Would you not expect it because it's generally not happened, or is there a reason you think it can't happen?

Because I can't see any reason it can't be done.
  • What is this “sick pay” of which you all speak?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's when you've got a really good salary bragging to your mates and "I've got SICK PAY man!"
  • Aaaaaaah. I seeeee.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!