Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Seems lots of congrats deserved in here, well done guys

I think the only small businesses that actually work (not quick fly by night schemes that are profitable but businesses that achieve sustainability) are those that come out of someone's passion or hobbies. To that end when starting out, if you absolutely require a labour force of some kind, then a form of shared equity until such time as it can support you all seems fine to me. Even if it means you have to keep a side gig until such time

Sick pay should be a right. I got a shock to the system last year when I found out my place didn't offer sick pay in the first year after I had two weeks off with Covid, so that was a hit to the pocket but hey ho. I mean the division I help to maintain only made 28M net last year
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • How’s the church renovation going cocko?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • poprock wrote:
    Everything Yoss says is fine for full-time 9–5 jobs. It’s not so simple for shift-based stuff, like most hospitality roles. If I were a barman, for example, I wouldn’t be expecting full sick pay. Which sucks, but it is the way.

Would you not expect it because it's generally not happened, or is there a reason you think it can't happen?

Because I can't see any reason it can't be done.

I guess the former, because it’s not something that’s ever crossed my mind. If you’re classed as ‘casual labour’ you don’t get the benefits of a permanent full-time job.

I was just using hospitality as an example.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Slowly but surely, thank you. Got the office mostly up and running, just need to work out the wiring for the desk so I can make it do the standing, sitting thing. Front room is getting there slowly, needs surround next, unsure whether to go sound bar or receiver, I think receiver will be more flexible, plus floorstanders are cooler when playing music. Next month is pull up bar, heavy bag, and ropes for the courtyard, and more kitchenware as now my fridge finally works I can start cooking again

Technically on topic, here's the office as at Friday evening, working and playing at the same time. Not my choice of whisky, gift from a mate I let stay a couple of months while he was between places

zin6jHP.jpeg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nice one mate. Good to hear you're still beavering away at it. :)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers man, appreciated

Hospitality and sick/holiday pay. I think a lot of places are loathe to implement it because they claim that they don't know what your rota will be. So they wouldn't know whether to pay you 6 or 26 hours for the week you aren't there. However under legislation (that may no longer be valid since brexit, dunno) your contract (even if zero hours) would be implied by a rolling 13 week period up to the most recent pay cycle. So with a contract saying 6 hours, if you averaged 20 hours over the last 3 months you would have a 20 hr contract. However few people stay with a single hospitality employer for the two years required to try and get away with trying that in an dismissal/greivance case. Those that do, are by that time more protected by contracts having been promoted etc
  • Cocko confirming my nationality as I tried to figure out how a pull up bar would work without smashing glasses.

Good luck with your renovations.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, took me a moment. Would be nice though, just not quite big enough to go full on bar, bbq, and jacuzzi unfortunately
  • does anyone here work in recruitment in london?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Exam results came out yesterday. Don't want to toot our own school's horn but ours emwere outstanding and particularly with the lowest SIMD. And these were real exams. I suspect we are about to rise in the rankings in Edinburgh to top 3 at least.
  • That’s awesome H. Always good to see hard work paying dividends. :)
  • I've been having fun in my new job, managed to Google how to use Power Automate, to make a feedback survey on forms which then links to a table in an excel sheet that updates automatically when a survey is filled in. Felt like a l33t hacker tbh. Can't seem to turn the table into decent graphs though? Will also be using Publisher to be making some kind of internal promo material to promote our project!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you have access to powerBI? If so you will be able to make so really nice presentations with the data.

If not pivot charts would probably do the trick for you in Excel.
  • Do you have access to powerBI? If so you will be able to make so really nice presentations with the data.

If not pivot charts would probably do the trick for you in Excel.
    ZMM wrote:
    I've been having fun in my new job, managed to Google how to use Power Automate, to make a feedback survey on forms which then links to a table in an excel sheet that updates automatically when a survey is filled in. Felt like a l33t hacker tbh. Can't seem to turn the table into decent graphs though? Will also be using Publisher to be making some kind of internal promo material to promote our project!

I need to learn how to do this.
    I'm rubbish at data
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Can you sort out my premier league prediction spreadsheet so it can cope with having predictions input before the results?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back to work after 6 weeks off and it's never as bad as I fear. Kids aren't in till Wednesday but hey we did it.
  • Fuck the schools being back (Sorry Reg). Instantly doubles the traffic and the time it takes me to get to work.
  • Pro tip: Don't go to work.
  • Hey, I only go in three days a week. Could be worse.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dante just chills on his bed in his Wonder Woman PJs answering pure calls innit
  • I've just finally got around to looking at my pension and I am quietly pleased. However, the default assumption was that I would be working until I was 68. 68!? Fuck that noise.
  • Yeah, an extra year would be nice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Fuck the schools being back (Sorry Reg). Instantly doubles the traffic and the time it takes me to get to work.

It doubles it for me too ffs
  • If you're going to chunter on in the background of a phone call, how about you make the fucking call instead?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If you're going to chunter on in the background of a phone call, how about you make the fucking call instead?

Haha, so much this

• Put my expenses in for last week. Got an email back saying “We don’t give expenses for journeys from home, only ones to and from the office.”

Fucksake. Stop organising meetings with clients on work-from-home days then.
  • Wait, they pay expenses for your normal commute, but not if you go from home to a client site?  That's, uh, unusual.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!