Not smoking or like modern coal
  • How can a cotinine test still pick it up after a couple of months?
  • Well, it's probably still in the hair for several months, but that's different.
  • Cotinine test is the saliva test they make you take when you want live insurance.
  • Oh, then I have no idea - all the smoking cessation literature suggests otherwise.  I always thought it was hair samples that were used for those kind of tests...
  • They could be lying to me........
  • Like I said for the most, as in nearly 100% its gone in a few days. Hardly worth recording what is left.

It can remain in hair for longer and can also remain in the blood for two to three weeks if passive smoking occurs, which is highly likely.

It will also depend on the persons body, age, metabolism and how much they smoked. The two weeks is just a sure way of knowing rather than "you will have nicotine in your blood for 2 weeks".
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    They could be lying to me........

They just want your spit so they can clone you.
  • Physical withdrawal two weeks.

Psychological withdrawal one year.

According to those that provided my university education.
  • Also, the completion of the purging of a substance from the body doesn't mean the effects it had are also over.
  • Well yeah, overcoming the symptoms of withdrawal (esp psychological) takes considerably longer than the time taken for the addictive substance to have completely left your system.  Still the nicotine itself is gone in around 48hrs.
  • Nice work Plan M.

Remember at 7 weeks the nicotine should be long gone out of your body (providing you havent used nicorette).
    Any cravings now will just be habitual.

Wow Birdorf, that sounds proper scary.

Thanks guys :)

Have not used nicorette or any aids, have done it cold turkey. I wasn't a 20 a day person before mind you, more like 10 a day unless I was drinking. I haven't had a beer for a very long time too, that's when the main test will be because I usually fancy a smoke when I have sunk a few cold ones.
  • Nice one, Plan M.  Cold turkey's not easy.
  • Well yeah, overcoming the symptoms of withdrawal (esp psychological) takes considerably longer than the time taken for the addictive substance to have completely left your system.  Still the nicotine itself is gone in around 48hrs.

Don't well yeah my post and then acknowledge that I'm correct.  Accept that I'm correct and that the time taken for nicotine to be removed from the body is irrelevant to the process of stopping smoking.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was told years ago that physiological addiction was around 2-4 weeks, which is what annoys me about having given up when in theatre, as blatantly I was no longer physically addicted. But the habit was still there. Used to figure I'll buy ten for drinking with, wake up with 18 in a pack and carry on smoking
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Well yeah, overcoming the symptoms of withdrawal (esp psychological) takes considerably longer than the time taken for the addictive substance to have completely left your system.  Still the nicotine itself is gone in around 48hrs.
    Don't well yeah my post and then acknowledge that I'm correct.  Accept that I'm correct and that the time taken for nicotine to be removed from the body is irrelevant to the process of stopping smoking.
    The 'well yeah' was acknowledgement that you were right but also that I'd made the same points at length in a previous thread on the same subject.  It's not irrelevant though - it can be a significant step in the thinking involved in successful smoking cessation.  It certainly helped me.
  • The "well yeah" was a condescending acknowledgement at best.  Don't pretend otherwise.
  • You really are the most ghastly and irritatingly smug person I've ever Internetted with by the way.
  • Uh oh, Unlikely's got a new toy
  • Not new and shut up.
  • You have a habit of hugely misinterpreting my intended sentiments Unlikely and perhaps that's my fault for not articulating them appropriately, so I apologise quite sincerely.  It was not intended to be in the least bit condescending.  I was merely referring to a previous discussion that we were both involved in in which we exchanged pretty much the same series of remarks.
  • I probably disliked you immensely then too, igor.
  • Fair enough - carry on.  Your loss.
  • Not really.  The world would be a nicer place without sanctimonious me me me people.  So sadly not my loss at all.
  • That's just how you choose to view me as a person.  It's certainly not who I am - not in the slightest.
  • No, that's how you appear to me, which means that's exactly who you are.
  • To you, perhaps.  Thankfully you're not the centre of my universe (or most other people's for that matter), so it doesn't really matter.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was merely referring to a previous discussion that we were both involved in in which we exchanged pretty much the same series of remarks.

Take it to the schoolyard thread, also if you didn't want to ignite the same tittle tattle, why reference it? Am at a loss
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!