Not smoking or like modern coal
  • Ah the art of fixing a broken tab with a rizla.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bought a pack of 20 while I was in the pub, gave maybe 8 away to other drinkers but I'm lumbered with a few at home and I can't help it.

This is actually where I want to be, biting a pack when drinking as I do enjoy the act of smoking, but not doing it during the week or when waking up. Just figure that a decent period of being off them is required first
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Ah the art of fixing a broken tab with a rizla.

Never, smoke the half then doctor the other half into the butt
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's been just over two years since I had a fag. I miss them in summer but I doubt I'll ever have one again. Once Charlie got to about 6 yrs old I knew I had to give up. I never smoked in front of him or in the flat, and he never knew I smoked, but I noticed he was starting to smell my jacket and he asked what the smell was once. It was easy after that. Despite all the many attemps before I gave up that night. Took my usual walk outside when Charlie was asleep and smoked the rest of the pack and have never even thought about touching one again.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • nick_md wrote:
    Ah the art of fixing a broken tab with a rizla.

Just happened.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So I lapsed last night, had a very long craving and picked up a pack. Smoked four, enjoyed them more than I wanted to. Not going to beat myself up over it, just reset the clock, I did 10 days, just aim to go beyond 10 days this time, at least if nothing else that'll be progress
  • On the 10th it will be a year since I vaped and in November, 2 years since I quit smoking.

There's no real advice I can give - it's fuckin hard! It IS all habitual though, I still get urges now, but usually based on triggers.

Don't worry about the occasional lapse, as long as you don't lapse into habit.

x
  • Now, if someone could tell me how to stop eating shit, that would be great.
  • It is a hard thing to give advice for as every quit is different. I always got frustrated when I heard the likes of "such and such happened and that was it, I haven't smoked since!" I never felt that moment. I tried for years to quit. From a few hours, to a couple of days, 6 months, to 3 fucking years! Yes, I was absolutely mortified that I managed to screw up a 3 year quit. A screw up that was the result of a simple lapse on a night out.

But I was that kind of smoker. I could never have just one. I always envied people who could quit and then have the odd fag on a night out. Not me. One smoke and I'd be down to the corner shop first thing the following morning.

In the end, feeling like I'd tried everything, I decided to do an NHS quit class. Part of the reason being they offered free patches or whatever else suited you. I think it was a 7 week class. Meeting once a week for an hour in the arse end of Maryhill (Glasgow). It was fucking grim but it worked. It was oddly satisfying watching the numbers dwindle every week. We must have started with about 20 and in the end there was only about 5 left.

For the first time in my life I actually feel confident that I'm done for good. I still miss it and I still get the odd craving but fuck me the benefits massively outweigh the temptation. My life is different now and that helps. I have a partner and baby on the way so I can't see myself ever screwing up now. Smoke free 5 years come this November.
  • I’ve bumped to 76kg since quitting and I’m wondering if I’d rather be fat or a smoker?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Is 76kg fat, or are you 5'2"?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also great to see you guys with your success stories, and your motivations behind it. I'm a bit like Scout in that there is no real over arcing reason why I will quit now, just I've been smoking 25 years and really should knock it on the head
  • "Really should" is of course vastly different to, "really want to". Going to be difficult until you reach that mindset.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ true, but that's something I've came to terms with years back, that most of the tie I actually enjoy smoking, so need to find other factors
  • Bump but for a different kind.

I've been a pretty regular habitual weed smoker for a long time now. But over the past couple years, even moreso since the pandemic struck, my intake has risen and risen.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a large part of me that believes that, if I didn't have weed, I'd have probably went off the deep end. Especially at the beginning of the pandemic and first few months of lockdown as the whole world stopped. I'd be wrecked with fear at work, coming home in tears, isolated from my gf and pals, but a quick bift or two at night and some games helped me calm down, find some chill time, and recharge for the day ahead. I wouldn't ever do it before work or before a drive, but it was still quite a bit. I'd definitely still feel the affects the morning after.

But as we came out of the worst of it, as things opened up and levels and restrictions eased, I was still consuming the same amount. I'd have days off, have things to do, but the habitual part of me was just screaming "this is shit, get home, spin one, you'll be fine". I was getting aggro at the slightest things, not enjoying time with her or my mum, just wanting to get things out of the road so I could be alone and smoke. And, dear readers, that's not really that good. She also hated it, constantly reminding me of "what if I got stopped" and she was right, I'd lose my licence, my job, and feel like I'd have lost everything. Its not good. I always felt that you couldn't get addicted to weed, and part of me still believes that, but like I said, I'm a habitual person. I get set in my ways and then find it hard to get out of them.

(side note: I think it's also part of seeing my mum and dad both wrecked by the drink. It's what took my dad in the end, so I've always leaned way more into spinning a spliff than pouring a drink. Probably something hereditary in there about an addictive personality.)

So I had seen a UFC fighter I follow post about Natural Strains, a CBD company based somewhere in England. I'd see him spark up big chibas full of street-looking stuff. So I looked into it. 100% legal, barely any THC in it. Went a week or two cold turkey and was struggling, so thought I'd give them a try.

And by fuck, it's working. I'm feeling less of a brain stone, more of a body one as the CBD works. Still feel completely with it, not that baked way you got with street shit. It's not the same, but hey, it's legal and I'm still going through the 'event' of rolling with it, so it's doing the job for me. Plus, they also regularly email me with discount codes. What fucking dealer has ever done that for me? Heh.

I dunno where I'm going with this. I was just very scared a while back this was something I was going to have to hide, to be ashamed of, to deal with. Always every couple weeks going through that motion of texts with tardy as fuck dealers and the para of getting it and driving home. I looked forward to houses and kids and stuff and thought to myself how in the fuck was I ever gonna pull it off whilst always thinking Gav m8 just blaze up, you'll be fine bro. But I seem to have stumbled upon something that's really working for me, and I know there's maybe a couple on here that could do with hearing it too. Doesn't have to always be that way, you know?

Anyway, cheers, off to Forza.
  • Got a link pls? Have you tried it pure? I planned to only smoke weed two nights a week during lockdown, which I mostly succeeded at, but my main problem is having tobacco in the house. If I've got it and I'm drinking I'll probably smoke it, so I was also having a few normals cigs on the Weds/Sat drink 'n weed nights. Nothing outrageous, probably still maximum seven or eight rollies a week, mostly in the same evenings as the weed, but the plan I wanted to stick to was no smoking at all unless in a joint.

I've got one of those dynavap things but cramming it with skunk is a bit heavy for a standard wind down. My preference is always the mellower stone of hash but lockdown's buggered up my supply completely.
  • No, haven't yet tried it dry without tobacco, another one of my habits is I've always been a full snout jointman.

Here's the sauce:

https://www.naturalstrains.co.uk/

I started on their version of white widow, which has the highest CBD value at 20%, and it got me pretty mellowed I gotta say! Slept like a baby, just like I would on street bud. Couple weeks back the much weaker Biscotti at 6% was heavily reduced so I ended up getting a half oz for £50 which is insane. The full oz was £80! Again, what dealer does that?? I'm enjoying the weaker flow though, keeps me pretty switched on while helping my sore muscles after a tough shift (I've bad knees, not the best for a porter)

Let me know how you get on.
  • All over this, cheers Gav.
  • I was at a family thing today and couldn't believe it when an uncle told me his 20 cigarettes are now £14. When I quit about 7 years ago I was paying around 9 quid I think. £14?!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And most smokers will go through that in a couple of days easy, so your looking at what, more than £2,500 a year to smoke?
  • A couple of days is optimistic, a pack of straights goes quickly, especially if you're out. A pouch of baccy lasts way longer. Straights are good for a night out tho.
  • Been well off the fags now for a couple years, thanks Covid!
  • Congrats! If you really want to give up it's not a problem but getting to that mindset is difficult. For me it was a son but a pandemic will do it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Every time I think about modern smoking I can’t get my head around why it isn’t just banned.  All those of you smoking now are fine - plz, carry on, but anyone born after, say, 2008 will never be able to purchase a pack of fags ever. ID required by everyone to buy any tobacco from now until the last 08’er dies out.  Such a simple thing to implement.
  • I gave up 6 weeks ago and miss it dearly. Last time I gave up I managed 6 months, but even after all that time my mood didn't recover. I'd estimate I was about 20% grumpier at all times, and this instantly lifted the moment I started smoking again.

Anyway, the shittest thing is I don't even save any money, as food is more expensive than tobacco and the amount I am eating since I stopped is a joke. My cravings for sugary stuff is really hard to manage. At least with cigs they make me uglier on the inside first, and then very slowly after that. Eating  unhealthy, however, had made me almost immeidately minging.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I caught something somewhere earlier this week about giving up smoking. Apparently one of the things people subconsciously miss when they give up smoking is that focus on the breath when having a smoke. If you learn some mediative breathing techniques and employ them when you feel the urge for a cig that can help reduce the cravings.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Grouchiness and craving sweet stuff is part and parcel of giving up smoking really. It's just an indication of what a shit, addictive drug it is. At least giving up heroin just makes you sick for a while. Giving up fags turns you into a fat asshole.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!