Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Kow wrote:
    I'll bow out now as my opinion will probably just start a fight here too.

You certainly have an interesting take, and not one that I agree with, but don't worry about stepping away, I'm not going to get into a fight about it.  The thread isn't called, "Ask The Bear & Badger to agree with me" :)

x
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm kind of with Kow on this one. Not my place to judge etc. But what I would say is that his actions dont fit with my value system, and that the lack of integrity and loyalty displayed has affected my opinion of him. You want to remain friends with him but you don't condone what he's done, and you're not going to pretend that it won't affect your relationship.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I kind of agree with you in one way Kow. But at the same time I guess it all depends just how close you are. Some friends I'd not bat an eyelid if this happened, some closer friends I'd have to talk to them properly about it and if that means a few judgement calls then so be it. We're close enough I trust that a couple of rounds of 'you silly cunt' and 'dozy twat' won't queer our friendship
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think if there was violence involved or serious abuse it would be easy to make a judgement, but coming from parents that broke up for similar reasons to the people in question, I know that it's not clear cut and simple and that both sides will usually claim if not innocence then provocation or justification. Without knowing the intimate details and thoughts, which is impossible, then from the outside it's easy just to point and say "bastard".
  • davyK wrote:
    Listen but don't say too much. Getting in the middle of this is not a good idea.  

Mates do dick things. If he has been a dick tell him. Up to you whether to remain mates. It takes a lot to break that - real friends are hard to come by. 

Do not take sides. There will be 3 sides - hers, his and the truth (whatever that is!) Hoping the 3rd party isn't a friend too.

Davy’s showing some wisdom here. So is Kow. So is Cocko. And lots of other badgers.

Having been on all sides of this sort of thing at one point in my life or another, I’ll never judge (out loud) but I will say one thing with absolute certainty: Kris, you’re in a position of privilege right now. You are the one friend this guy loves enough to want to talk about something incredibly fucking private and incredibly fucking difficult. That’s an honour. Hear him out, be his mate. If, after that, you feel the friendship change or sour, then so be it. But first go sit with him, drink with him, and let him get it off his chest. He needs you.
  • Yes - that's exactly my thinking.

Thing is, he's not just fucked up his relationship with his wife and kids.  He's done an entire friendship group.  Him & His Wife, Me & my Missus, and another couple.  The six of us have been tight since about the age of 21.  Nights out together as just the six of us, holidays together, then us all having kids and arranging meetups for them too as outings of 12.  Joint 40th Birthday holidays abroad.  Planned 50th holiday etc.  

All a bit fucked now.
  • I understand @poprock.  Like I say, when I first found out I wanted to chuck him in the bin, but when that dust settles, he's a mate and I know he's hurting.  He fucking deserves to hurt, and I'll probably tell him that, but that doesn't wash away 25 years of us being there for each other.  I'll be there for him, but unless he tells me something amazing tonight, I'll be there for his wife more.

x
  • btw.  Love this place.

x
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A further moral quandry...
    - In a fit of mild inebriation on Amazon Prime Day, I spotted a 2TB PS5 memory extension thingy on sale for £177 - still decidedly indulgent, but down from RRP of like £500 or something ridic and standard amazon price of £300 ish.  So I bought it.
    - It's been lost in transit.  Boo.
    - Speaking to Amazon, they no longer have any stock themselves, so can't ship a replacement.
    - BUT, they do have some sellers with some available for £294.  So what they did was offer a refund (£177) and a gift card top-up (£117) so I can buy it from a seller instead, without being out of pocket vs. the sale price.

But now I'm looking at my juicy gift card balance, and thinking hmm maybe I just get a 1TB card for £109, and then I basically have got it for -£8.  Which is kind of genius.

But is that theft, cos it wasn't the intention of the gift card top-up they gave me?  Or is all fair in love and war?
  • You're having a moral dilemma about Amazon??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Take the money. Amazon don’t give a shit and they’ve got too much of it anyway.
  • Take the money and run.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Typical Wookie
  • These things have been steadily dropping in price for a while, that prime day price will be around again before long. Might even be worth considering getting a 500gb to tide you over until Black Friday or just an opportune moment. Either way, fuck the Amazon.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But what if they find out and I get sent to jail?

Maybe I worry too much...
  • Buy the 1TB card and donate the excess to an Amazon workers union to really rub it in.
  • Some of these moral dilemmas are rubbish.  I'd spend the £294 on something useful instead and hope that the original HD turns up anyway.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But what if they find out and I get sent to jail?

Maybe I worry too much...

Don't be silly. It's Amazon. They won't even notice. They are guilty of FAR worse
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Far worse than stealing the shopping money of a single mother?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    AWAB
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does anyone have any experience with smart locks?

I'm after a lock that users can open using the NFC/RFID function on their phone. There will be a couple of hundred people that might want to be able to access the area so I don't want to be issuing physical keys, cards or fobs, and internet access might be an issue, so an iot type app for access control isn't really an option.

I would like to be able to issue a digital keycard that someone could store in their Google wallet, and have them gain access that way. Anyone know of a product like that?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1TB card now ordered. Have that Bezos!
  • Thief!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A latter-day Robin Hood
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Robbin Cunt.
  • Robs from the rich and gives a poor excuse.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    A latter-day Wookie Hood

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Important mossie bite treatment update:

Turns out the amazing roll on stuff I remembered was Japanese, not Spanish. It looks like this:

83-EB45-F5-1011-48-C7-A043-BC6196-D02-E2-A.jpg

Unfortunately, my lack of Japanese doesn’t allow me to know for sure whether or not it’s made out of penguins. Still, if you’re in Japan, pick some up, it’s superb. Put some on a bite and it stops itching immediately and for a good long while.

My SiL claims that this stuff is nearly as good as that:

https://www.superdrug.com/toiletries/travel/mosquito-and-insect-bite-treatment/after-bite-fast-relief-from-insect-bites-14ml/p/43455

I’ve got some, but my bites have pretty much gone by now so I can’t confirm its effectiveness. It also claims to work for horsefly bites, so Poprock might want to give it a try seeing as his local insect population seem to have come firmly to the conclusion that he is some sort of stallion.

Also, I don’t recall who was talking about white Tiger Balm, but I did see that Superdrug stock both the red and white versions if you’re trying to track some down.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just a minute... Ace Muzzy steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it?!
    I would like to be able to issue a digital keycard that someone could store in their Google wallet, and have them gain access that way. Anyone know of a product like that?

You know when you ask a question and see about five thread replies and think ‘Ah!’...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Goobs, Swedish firm flexxlock I think?? Can't remember but I'm certain they did a phone app solution for RFID locks. I recall a short fact finding but of work with them about ingesting their data for attendance records. But they didn't win the tender so nothing more
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!