PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Last night while doing some writing for a course, I chucked on Dark Side of the Moon for background noise which isn’t too obtrusive. Anyone else do something similar? Any go to albums?

Not scores but I mostly use instrumental albums for background, or at least something more chilled that I'm less familiar with. If I know the lyrics I end up focusing more on the music.

YMMV depending on taste but a few of my go tos:
    SOHN - Tremors
    Budos Band - Any album but II is the default
    Cloudkicker - Beacons or Let Yourself Be Huge
    Asgeir - In the Silence
    Animals as Leaders - Weightless
    Russian Circles - Empros
  • Cheers all. Will be trying these out over the next few days!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brian Eno.
    Ambient 1 : Music for Airports and Apollo : Atmospheres and Soundtracks are probably the better known ones and for good reason.

Hope Dies Last  by Winterlight is another favourite.

Bach's Goldberg Variations

A Kind of Blue  Miles Davis

Night Train Oscar Peterson

One Quiet Night by Pat Metheny
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was gonna say Brian Eno has become my go to for these situations lately.
  • Selected Ambient Works 2 by aphex as well maybe, but can get a little moody that one.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Peaceful Piano - just over 4 hours of a wide range of piano music from classical to takes on modern songs. Really great for work. I got it on Apple Music but assume it’s on Spotify too.

You'll be wanting Ludovico Einaudi for this (I'd imagine he's on that playlist already).
  • Aye, his stuff is grand.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Einaudi is a great call.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep he’s got a couple track on the list. Very nice.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just put old school jungle on as background music. Anything below about 160bpm and I fall asleep
  • I just put old school jungle on as background music. Anything below about 160bpm and I fall asleep

Fistbump to that. My usual background music is punk rock. Three chords, three notes, bratty vocals.
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye. Einaudi is a great call.

Agreed only discovered him as my lad plays a few of his pieces for piano exams
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What do people use to deal with mosquito bites?

My brother had some amazing stuff that I think he bought in Spain which comes in a roll-on bottle, put a bit of that on a bite and within seconds it stops itching. I’ve never seen anything equivalent in the UK, has anyone else?
  • Calamine lotion, which I've just realised I haven't had the pleasure of smelling for years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Does it actually stop the bastard itching?
  • Suppresses it I guess, doubt it stops it.  Haven't used it for about 30 years though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    What do people use to deal with mosquito bites? My brother had some amazing stuff that I think he bought in Spain which comes in a roll-on bottle, put a bit of that on a bite and within seconds it stops itching. I’ve never seen anything equivalent in the UK, has anyone else?

Getting an ice pack on really early helps if you're lucky enough to both spot it and have ice nearby...

More realistically, steroid creams can be helpful - you can get hydrocortisone over the counter. (Stronger stuff is prescription only).

Antihistamine tablets can be very good, but are hit and miss.  Don't waste your time with antihistamine cream.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I bought some antihistamine cream from Boots in the airport on the way home out of desperation, I can see why you wouldn’t recommend it.

Cheers!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Eurax cream works very well for chicken pox. It says it's also for insect bites so I'd assume it would work.
  • My regime for dealing with bastard horsefly bites has been antihistamines, icepacks and hydrocortisone cream. Doesn’t feel like they’re helping, but combined they do seem to bring the swelling down a bit quicker.

If it helps with those fuckers, I’m sure it’d sort out mozzie bites.
  • Prevent bites by basting yourself in Nordic Summer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's stuff called Tiger Balm that's popular in Asia. It's got camphor or paraffin or something in it, and smells very strong, but it's really effective at reducing the itch and getting rid of the bite much quicker. You can buy it in Chinese shops here, not sure in England but I'd guess you can get it easily. It comes in tiny little jars.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know tiger balm, never thought to try it on bites.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Love the tiger balm smell. Used to have a red version in NL which I loved. Could only find a white version here which claims to be ultra strong but I find the effect disappears quite quickly. Reminds me a bit of the dampo cold balm my mom used when we were kids.

It might just be that the red and white ones are for different ailments. Will have to try how it works on mosquito bites, mine often turn a dark red / purple colour after a few days and it looks horrible. Got quite a few bites right now, but what's worse is that B got a bite or two as well and in the past he always laughed at me for always being the one with the bites, but now he got one he has to mention it at least once a day.
  • So tonight I'm meeting up with one of my best friends, who I've known half my life.  He wants to give "his side" of the story.

You see, he, his wife and his two kids were on holiday in Orlando last week, for his Daughter's 18th birthday.  While on that holiday, his wife, also a great friend of mine, for half my life, discovered some messages on his phone.  she challenged him and found out that he's been having an affair FOR THE LAST TWO AND A HALF YEARS.

So.  I ask you.  How do I handle this meeting?  My current feeling is, I want to tear him a new arsehole.  Fucking idiot.  He's always going to be my mate, and I'll always be there for him, but.... Christ.
  • I assume his side of the story is "But I wanted to shag this other woman".
  • Let him give his side first I guess, otherwise theres not a lot of point in meeting up.
    Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes.
    Gonna have to be a good story of course.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Kris, you tear him a new arsehole because as you said, and as he knows, you'll always be his mate. He doesn't need vindication right now, if he wants to tell his side, then he's clearly at least a little bit in denial that he's done anything wrong. Disavow him of that then have a few beers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I am just very clumsy, and every time I fell my cock slipped out and right inside her
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!