The Car thread
  • I think I would speed around doing what I want, revving highly and enjoying my car than save 11%
  • It may well help mine though because I lost some NCB when a cyclist rode into me last year.
    You ran over a cyclist???

jebus

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • My premium was about £500 I think, so saving £50 isn't really that much considering the no claims and having the box in the car. If they gave 50% back for being super safe, then it would be worth. For 11% it's pointless. For me anyway. Even at £1000 for a premium, £100 off isn't really that much, works out at a fiver a month if you pay that way.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I think I'd rather shop around, increase my excess or do an IAM course rather than drive everywhere staring at the speedo because I was worried what some box was recording.
    Why would you have to stare at the speedo?  Just drive normally, within the speed limit and there's no problem.  Any experienced driver knows pretty accurately what speed they're going without having to check the speedo very often (if at all).
  • Igor's 100% law abidance claim is looking shaky.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • g.man wrote:
    It may well help mine though because I lost some NCB when a cyclist rode into me last year.
    You ran over a cyclist??? jebus g.man
    Lol, no.  A cyclist rode into me.  I was entirely blameless but insurance companies don't pursue cyclists so I lost NCB.
  • Igor what damage did the cyclist do to your car that warranted a claim on your insurance!?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Another argument for cyclists having insurance there.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Roujin wrote:
    Igor what damage did the cyclist do to your car that warranted a claim on your insurance!?
    Smashed my windscreen, caused significant damage to the front offside corner, dented my roof and other minor cosmetic damage.  I was going at 30mph when a cyclist cut out straight into my path from between queuing vehicles on the other side of the road.  I had no chance to avoid the collision.
  • If you were going faster you would have seriously injured the prick and it would have been worth losing your no claims over.

Lesson there.
  • He was seriously injured.  He wasn't wearing a helmet and his face got badly smashed up.  He needed major surgery to reconstruct it apparently.  Don't know if the helmet would've made a difference, but looking the fuck where he was going would have done.
  • Could you not have sued him?
  • Good, that'll teach the cunt to ride properly.

FYI - I have no idea why anyone would even THINK about putting a sealed box gizmo in their car that would allow an insurance company, the greatest collection of scumbag shits in existence, to potentially INCREASE your insurance premium once you've already paid.

Are you fucking insane?

"I'm sorry sir, the magic black box in your car that we control says you are a shit driver, even though you've never speeded or hit anything or even swerved sharply. Computer says you owe us more money so cough up". Fuck that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I think I'd rather shop around, increase my excess or do an IAM course rather than drive everywhere staring at the speedo because I was worried what some box was recording.
    Why would you have to stare at the speedo?  Just drive normally, within the speed limit and there's no problem.  Any experienced driver knows pretty accurately what speed they're going without having to check the speedo very often (if at all).

There's a difference between knowing what speed you're doing and what speed you're supposed to be doing and a box in the car phoning home every second of your journey to the mothership and pushing your premiums up for any transgression.

Safe driving isn't always about following the letter every second of the journey.
  • @live - He was just some teenager from the local council estate who likely had no money.  There was nothing to be gained from doing so except causing major hassle and grief to everyone involved, including me.  Plus, I figured he came off worse than me.  It does indeed highlight the fact that current insurance law is extremely unfair to motorists at times.
  • Oh god don't start igor off again Mod.

@igor
    it is a truly fucked up system.
    Some woman drove into me about 18 months ago, totally her fault, she owned up to it, her insurance paid to fix the minor dent and re-spray because of scratches.

Insurance renewal rolls around and I'm asked if I have been involved in any claims not my fault. I declare it and MY premiums shoot up! Apparently all of a sudden I live on a banger racing track because one person had a momentary lapse in concentration.
  • Mod, you don't get penalised for 'any transgression'.  The box measures your driving habits in 90 day chunks.  You are warned 45 days into each period if there is any aspect of your driving which is considered to unsatisfactory and then have the following 45 days in which to take action to improve said aspect.  You also have access to your performance data (which is continuously being updated) at any time by logging onto a website, which will then give you very clear information on exactly how to improve your stats and avoid penalties (or achieve further discounts).  If you habitually speed, you will be penalised, sure, but if you habitually drive within the speed limit and very occasionally hit 32 in a 30 or whatever, it's not going to affect your stats, assuming that the data is fairly weighted, which was my original enquiry.
  • It's a fucking rancid idea.

really, fuck that

g.man
  • What's your issue with it g.man?  Is it that you don't trust the insurance companies to play fair?  Or is it that you would rather just drive however you see fit?  Or both?
  • If I went 100mph with one of these boxes fitted does the insurance company not have a legal obligation to report me to the police?
  • @igor: 
    Question, will an insurance company fuck you?
    Answer, yes, an insurance company will always fuck you, that's how they make their money - it's their business to fuck you.
  • What's your issue with it g.man?  Is it that you don't trust the insurance companies to play fair?  Or is it that you would rather just drive however you see fit?  Or both?
    Both.
  • I think the insurance company just warns that your premiums may increase, if you've been speeding.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    First of all, what are their standards for reduction?

How "safely" do you need to drive to get any saving?

What if you dirve perfectly normally and safely and they say "that's nice, but you're not driving safe enough for us" and you end up going through all the hassle for a premium that was no cheaper than another insurer?

Sounds like you're volunteering to be a guinea pig, not a feeling I want when popping to the shops.
  • I think that cyclists should not only pay insurance but should pay road tax as well. 

Number of times you get the guy that mounts the pavement when he gets to traffic lights so he can keep going, or they cycle in pairs and then complain when you have to almost hit them because NO, I don't want to drive on the other fecking side of the road so you can chat to your mate and not pay any attention to what is happening 3 ft in front of you. if you want to talk about how i should respect your space on the road then start fecking paying for it's up keep you cont. 

Motorcyclists need to learn that the white line that divides lanes on a dual carriageway isn't designed for you to drive up the middle when there is queuing traffic. If someone changes lanes and you have to break suddenly because you think you have the right to race up the middle then sorry but fuck you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

I don't think insurance companies would play fair.  They are in the business to make money and do everything they can to increase how much you pay every year and blame it on any old shart they can come up with,
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Seems like a good idea at least for 17yr males whose average premiums are actually c.£3000 with a potential smartbox saving of around £450 (according to AA insurance price index).
  • About 6 months ago there was a story on the news about rising premiums. The guy being interviewed blamed it on the insurance company blamed it on the ambulance chasers sueing everytime there is a minor accident.

Which is funny as most insurance companies will sell your details onto an ambulance chaser the second you make a claim.
  • @all_of_the_above - hence why I asked if anybody else had tried it.  I may wait a couple of years to see how it develops.
  • Seems like a good idea at least for 17yr males whose average premiums are actually c.£3000 with a potential smartbox saving of around £450 (according to AA insurance price index).

How many new drivers are going to be able to religously stick to the speed limit (without staring at the speedo) or avoid heavy braking etc etc?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!