PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Horses for courses Moto - some people do actually get their kicks from helping other people. Weird innit.
    Do you believe that anybody who had won £148.6m would give £147.6m of it away?

I'd help people if I won, I'd help friends and family, I'd help our local Hospice and Dog Trust, I'd create jobs, hell I'd even give some of you miserable fuckers here some of it but if you are really all for helping people with charities etc you can still do a fair bit of good with even £138.6m so you've only kept £10m for yourself.

I'm sorry but I don't believe for a single minute that if this happened to Igor he would only keep £1m so that's why I called bullshit.

Is there anybody else in this forum that can, hand on heart and swearing on the death of loved ones, say that they would have only kept £1m of it? Fuck me, that probably wouldn't even cover the insurance on all my impractical vehicles...
  • Moto, you are forgetting igor lives on £4.57 a month.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Horses for courses Moto - some people do actually get their kicks from helping other people. Weird innit.
    Do you believe that anybody who had won £148.6m would give £147.6m of it away? ...

After Bill Gates and Warren Buffer... sure, why not?

Seems like it's already happened a few times as well:
    https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=lottery+winner+gives+money+to+charity&oq=lottery+winner+gives+money+to+charity&gs_l=hp.12...0.0.3.49625.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.eqrwrth..0.0...1._ZwOr6Ym_OA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=936ff517b68da372&biw=1000&bih=804

/shrug

People are different. Some chav cunt blows it all on house, quad bikes, drugs and parties, someone else gives some or all of it to charity - doesn't surprise me at all.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Moto, you are forgetting igor lives on £4.57 a month.
    Then why does he need to keep £1,000,000 in his knicker draw?

Igor why would you need to keep £1,000,000 in your knicker draw? Don't you realise how much good that £1,000,000 could do on top of the £147,656,000 you had already given away?

A lot of those people seem to have a belief in God, I should have added 'sane people' to my original question.
  • Elmlea wrote:
     There's a big difference between targeted military violence and randomly punching someone by the side of the road

ahahahaha what a load of pish
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just FTR me and the missus had a conversation about what we'd do with the money (as did a lot of people I guess) and we said that we'd keep £100m for ourselves* and each have £24.3m to give away however we saw fit.

Seeing as you're not surprised that somebody could give the whole of the win away (I am massively surprised that anybody could do that) what do you think you'd have done if you'd have won it DJ?

* after much debate, she was happy to give more away! Why do women always say "that's too much for one person"?
  • I wouldn't have ever won it because I have never bought a ticket, because the lottery is for fucking mugs.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    I wouldn't have ever won it because I have never bought a ticket, because the lottery is for fucking mugs.
    I've got £10 from the last draw that agrees with you.

Ironically I spent exactly the same amount as the winners but I came out of it £10 down not £148,655,990 up. Oh well at least I didn't have to send any of it away to help starving Africans.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Getting this back on topic but with the lottery theme still going my immediate purchases would be...

Lamborghini Aventador
    Nissan GT-R
    Porsche 911
    BMW M3 Convertible
    Caterham SP/300.R
    Caterham Superlight R500
    AC Cobra
    Fiat 500 Abarth
    KTM X-Bow
    Audi RS4 Avant
    Mazda MX5

...this would do for starters.
  • Aventador is top of my instant lottery purchase list. 

I'd also like a Lancia Stratos and something big/stupid like an old Grosse or a full on proper Rolls Drophead or whatever the new expensive one is called.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I want a monster truck too. What kind of a mad man has the money for a monster truck and doesnt buy one?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Aventador is top of my instant lottery purchase list.
    There are 2 in stock at Lamborghini London, both Aventador LP700-4's with one in Arancio Argos (Orange) and one in Binaco Isis (White) with the pair of them being the same price, £309,950. If I had won on Friday I would buy them both and give one to my mate as it is his dream car.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Shame we haven't got a poll option in this forum, it would be interesting to know how many people here would opt for being given their dream car and how many would instead choose to have Lenry Henry dropping bags of rice out the back of a Hercules.
  • To be honest, having a £150 million in the bank would probably make me a bit more risk averse. Dying in a flaming Porsche before I'd spent half that money would be a pisser.
  • Moto, it's not from some need to feel good about myself or to try to look good to others (I'd make every effort to remain anonymous), it's simply that I have no need for material wealth as it doesn't add anything of worth to my life (other than giving me the time and means to pursue my musical career). The £1m I'd keep is purely to pay off mortgages/debts and to provide financial security against anything that might crop up in the future (e.g. medical expenses in the event of serious illness in the family).
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    You'd have twice the security if you kept £2m, it's irrelevant anyway.

You can say what you want but nothing will change my mind that anybody would give away such a large amount of money while just leaving themselves a token amount to make sure that them and their family would always have enough for Lemsip is either lying or mentally unbalanced. Throw into the mix that you say you're a musician but you lead a perfect life without even a single traffic law ever being broken and I think I'd have to opt for the latter in your case.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Getting this back on topic but with the lottery theme still going my immediate purchases would be... Lamborghini Aventador Nissan GT-R Porsche 911 BMW M3 Convertible Caterham SP/300.R Caterham Superlight R500 AC Cobra Fiat 500 Abarth KTM X-Bow Audi RS4 Avant Mazda MX5 ...this would do for starters.

Apart from the Cobra none of them do anything for me.

I don't think I'd buy anything made in the last ten years, apart from a nice new Octavia vRs as a daily runner.

As for the lottery, if I won more than 10m I'd give half away and keep half. Any less than that and I'd keep it all for myself.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    As for the lottery, if I won more than 10m I'd give half away and keep half. Any less than that and I'd keep it all for myself.

That is a much more realistic proposition.

I would absolutely give some away to charity. I would more likely hold onto it and give where I see a cause, rather than just giving one lump some to a couple of charities straight away. Like that couple did for that legs prosthetic legs.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Likewise, I'd also donate money to a charity of Igor's choosing as soon as he showed me his driving licence with some points on it, again he could choose which motoring law to break!
  • Moto70 wrote:
    You can say what you want but nothing will change my mind that anybody would give away such a large amount of money while just leaving themselves a token amount to make sure that them and their family would always have enough for Lemsip is either lying or mentally unbalanced. Throw into the mix that you say you're a musician but you lead a perfect life without even a single traffic law ever being broken and I think I'd have to opt for the latter in your case.
    None of that makes any sense, not least because many people do give away vast personal fortunes because they have no need of material wealth for its own sake. I don't see why being a musician and/or a law-abiding motorist has anything to do with it.

• @moto
    Would he do it for £147.6 mil to a charity of his choice!?!

Thats one hell of a game show, Break a law for Charity with Des and Mel.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The people that I have heard of for giving away a vast personal fortune, Bill Gates, Chris Evans, didn't exactly move in next to me. They left themselves with a very comfortable lifestyle regardless of what they left themselves 'on paper'.

As for the rest of my post I was merely saying that I am afraid to say I have developed a pattern of not believing the things you write, most people I know break a traffic law every single day, whether it be creeping over the speed limit, using the wrong lane or not coming to a dead stop at a solid white stop line, yet this is something you have claimed to have never, ever done. I am honestly dumbfounded by this, to not know whether you have or not is one thing but to lay claim to have never done it is something else.

The musician part becomes relevant to the above when it comes to insurance. Tell me, how much is your policy? I have always been under the impression that the premiums are sky high for musicians...

EDIT: Just so you know I'm not trying to cause offence or belittle you so if you think that any of this is becoming uncomfortable then just holler I will stop this banter, it isn't meant to cause any grief.
  • There are many documented cases of people giving away money and leading very modest lives. It's a little sad that your experiences make this difficult to understand or believe.

Yeah, I have to pay a premium for being a musician and I lost NCB when I had that altercation with a cyclist, so I'm probably looking at £600+ when I renew.

Btw I've never claimed to be a perfect driver, just a law-abiding, conscientious and courteous one, to the best of my abilities.
  • Nah, you definately said you have never broken a driving law!

Also you hit a cyclist, don't dress it up as an altercation.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Getting this back on topic but with the lottery theme still going my immediate purchases would be...

Lamborghini Aventador
    Nissan GT-R
    Porsche 911
    BMW M3 Convertible
    Caterham SP/300.R
    Caterham Superlight R500
    AC Cobra
    Fiat 500 Abarth
    KTM X-Bow
    Audi RS4 Avant
    Mazda MX5

...this would do for starters.

I gather the hairdressing business would be part time yes?
  • Afaik, I have never broken a driving law, that is true. I'm certainly not alone in that, though it may be a fairly small percentage of drivers who could say the same. That's not the same as being a perfect driver though.

No, the cyclist hit me.
  • Youve never done 32 in a 30 accidently, never clipped into another lane on a roundabout, never got slightly closer to someone than the minimum stopping distance? If the answer is yes you arent driving naturally and are still prob dangerous.
    Rubbish. I always stay in my lane, stay within the speed limit and keep a safe distance from vehicles in front wherever possible (e.g. when people cut in, I drop back). What's so difficult? It's just sensible, alert driving.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    BMW M3 Convertible
    I gather the hairdressing business would be part time yes?
    I cut my own hair once, thinking how hard can it be, when I didn't have the time to get to the hairdressers so I don't even think it would be part time!

I enjoyed my mate's M3 and I would like a convertible that sits 4 (I almost bought a Megane but my missus stopped me) and has a bit of grunt but the choice isn't actually that great.
  • Euan wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
     There's a big difference between targeted military violence and randomly punching someone by the side of the road
    ahahahaha what a load of pish

I await a less childish, immature argument, backed up by your extensive studies into how and under what circumstances members of the armed forces are actually allowed to use force. 

No?  What a shock.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Getting this back on topic but with the lottery theme still going my immediate purchases would be... Lamborghini Aventador Nissan GT-R Porsche 911 BMW M3 Convertible Caterham SP/300.R Caterham Superlight R500 AC Cobra Fiat 500 Abarth KTM X-Bow Audi RS4 Avant Mazda MX5 ...this would do for starters.

The practical OCD side of my personality wouldn't allow me to buy that many when so may of them overlap.  I'd have to have a bit of a reason for each car, tbh.  I'd end up with a pair of supercars (something mid engined and convertible with a V8, and something larger and faster with a V12) and something practical for the shops.  The "museum" purchases would be initially limited to something like the most unmolested, original McLaren F1 I could find.

I'd certainly give an awful lot away, but probably by setting up some sort of foundation that could self-sustain and provide a lot of good over a long period, rather than one-off large gestures.  In terms of individual purchases for friends I doubt I'd buy anyone a car though; I mean, if you buy your mate a £300k car, do you have to agree to cover his insurance, petrol, servicing, parts etc for the amount of time he keeps it?  Having been stung by how much a mid-90s TVR can cost to run I'd worry a £300k supercar could be a bit of a millstone without running costs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!