Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I did wonder if the chargers locked in. Hopefully all do that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    We really need to get to inductive charging in car park spots. I can't help think when I see cars parked in city streets that the young scamps are gonna be unplugging them and your car is dead in the morning.

Can’t speak for other brands but you’re not unhooking that Tesla charger without the phone key or keycard.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Cables should be locked at the car end, depending on the make/model, and are built in to rapid chargers at the other end, but some slow chargers (hopefully mainly older models) that are installed for on-street charging can be unplugged by anyone unfortunately. I've had my car unplugged once so far on a slow ChargePlace Scotland charger...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My closest charging stations are 20 minutes away, which isn't terrible, but they'd have massive queues if EVs weren't so rare here. The only EV I could have is a bike, because you can get one for a few grand and carry its battery indoors.

When sales of petrol and diesel cars end we'll see a spiked used market. That's one way to reduce their number, but it's gonna leave millions in the shit. The housing market over the past twenty years applied to cars.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    TBF, the Maeving looks like a great urban/slow-country bike. 40MPH, 80 mile range with the 2 battery packs and it'll be £2k come second hand time.
  • Ideally you’d want charging infrastructure built into all new builds from, well, 5 years ago. Not as easy with flats and high rises (though underground parking with charging capabilities help there somewhat). Home kits don’t need to be fast charge either.

Easier said than done, obviously, and it takes proper government support to make that happen, but it is doable, even in rural areas.

Think Hainan aims to have 20% of all villages and 60% of all residences period equipped with chargers this year. They’re putting in 20,000 more stations on the island this year alone. Crazy numbers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    TBF, the Maeving looks like a great urban/slow-country bike. 40MPH, 80 mile range with the 2 battery packs and it'll be £2k come second hand time.

It's the gulf between electric mopeds and superbikes that needs sorting. The affordable ones limit where you can ride and inconvenience you with their lack of speed, and then it's a £10k jump to superbikes! (Which are even less suitable for regular riding at our age.)

We're waiting for naked middleweight equivalents, hitting 60 in 4 and reaching 100 or so. £6k or thereabouts, with used ones available between 4 and 5. That's the largest market by far, so it's odd that it's the last to be catered to. Petrol dominance, I guess.

KTM's Duke especially would be a fantastic platform, because it's already a light and affordable thumper, and they've the Freeride E-XC as a base.
  • kestla wrote:
    Thought I'd pop some news in here, seeing as EVs are on topic. For those that may be interested, the London Borough I work for, currently have between 200-300 charge points with the intention of expanding this to 2000 within 4 years. My team is delivering this. I can't speak for the rest of GB, but... 

That's actually really fucking cool, had no idea that's what you did. Curious about the day-to-day or organising something like this and how it all comes together, if you were willing to elaborate more (without disclosing anything sensitive, obv).

Yeah, no problem! Sorry if it's too much!

My team deals with the public consultation and then subsequent implementation. Before that, the charge point providers identify locations, based on requests, assessed need etc. We'd then review the locations, taking into account parking density, local impact, footway widths and constraints etc.

Eventually, we consult locally and report on the results of that exercise. At that point, some locations may be deferred or dropped entirely. Once we receive approval from those above, we crack on with detailed design, then go to statutory consultation (which is the legal part - you'd recognise the notices on lamp posts etc possibly?) We then have to deal with any objections that may have been received, but usually they're nonsense and just people whinging about their right to park outside their house etc. Once that process is dealt with, we're able to proceed to implememtation, which takes a couple of months depending on the extent of that specific programme.

We're currently aiming to ensure the whole borough is within 10 minutes walk of a charge point, but once we've succeeded with that, we'll aim for 5 minutes.

One thing we have seen, is a very sharp increase in EV registrations, and therefore a rapid rise in usage of the charge points. It's very encouraging, but there is still a clear pattern in the location of the EV owners and charge points, which unsurprisingly is in the affluent areas. We're getting there though, and we are seeing numbers improving.

• Funkstain wrote:

I'm also curious about

- Power delivery - what's the current?
    - Availability / repair SLAs - big problem in London / wider UK is that reliability of EV charging points is sketchy, especially compared to Tesla. You drive a few miles to get one only to find that it's out of order
    - Location - with that many, I'm guessing all over the place (street parking, shopping centres etc)

- From what I recall, the most common is 7kw at the moment, which are usually found on street, predominantly along flank walls etc. They're primarily for long stay/overnight for a full charge, but still helpful for those that just need a quick boost whilst shopping etc. There are also 22kw charge points though, which are usually found in car parks, or in heavy use areas.

- In terms of availability, as mentioned above, the current aim is a 10 minute walk, which we'll probably achieve by next year. As for reliability, we have regular meetings with the providers, and faults are rarely mentioned. I'm not saying they don't happen, but if residents inform us of faults directly, then we'd follow that up with the provider very promptly.

- Locations are basically all over the place. The one's I help deliver, are primarily on street, generally along flank walls, near parks, shopping parades etc. However, we're also installing charge points within lamp columns. These tend to offer a weaker charge, but are often good for convenience, because they would be nearer to a specific address, but are also good for those areas where the footway isn't wide enough for a proper charger, or if houses don't have a private driveway to accommodate a vehicle and private charger.

A useful website is www.zap-map.com. That shows all locations and types of chargers, I believe.
  • I really want a small carbon fibre lip roof spoiler similar to the ones on the back of the M5 or CSL. Cannot find one to fit my Corsa wanker VX
    PSN - minkymu
  • Thanks for the inside scoop Kestla, that’s interesting stuff.

I have a client who does some of the implementation - the HV power infrastructure side of things.
  • Cos tgat will defo make it at least 10mph faster lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • kestla wrote:
    Yeah, no problem! Sorry of it's too much.

Not too much at all - read both of those posts and they were exactly what I was looking for.

I’m super interested in how all this stuff gets put together - especially given the 5-10 year timescale a lot of countries have put on getting all this up and running so they can phase out diesel and petrol cars.

Got to be a huge amount of work to get it done, but you also need to get it done right so this kind of base camp insight is something I wouldn’t normally get. Would love to read more as and when you have anything to add to what you wrote.

And thanks.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Cos tgat will defo make it at least 10mph faster lol

12mph at least, 13 if you get a big loud exhaust.
  • 14 if you shave lines into yer sideburns
  • 15 if you paint it red and add flames.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ooh is that Dutch? License plate looks Dutch.

Anyway, B finally got his 4 runner.

PXL-20220428-022808423-MP.jpg
    It was quite dirty tbh. Also had three different brand of tires, all at different stages of questionable quality.

PXL-20220428-023529047-MP.jpg
    He did strip it quite a bit. Found a lot of trail mix nuts.

PXL-20220504-012927300-MP.jpg
    Carpet did get pretty clean.

PXL-20220507-003614671.jpg
    Lower ball joints needed replaced.

PXL-20220508-003855211.jpg
    But it's starting to look something. Bumper is slightly bend so one of the front tires rubs a bit during a left corner, and B think the suspension is bad enough that it sits an inch lower by default now.

Went to a scrapyard last Sunday which is quite a thing tbh. Have to bring your own tools, and then it's just a playground for people who like to wrench and need parts. Most Toyotas were pretty much fully stripped already, but B managed to find a stick that has the light switch, ours was missing the cap. When he installed that he found that there's a vent right at crotch height under the steering wheel. Guess that's what a limited edition would get you in the 90s.

In even more exciting news, the Jeep has a winch.
    PXL-20220417-020837985.jpg

I don't know why the hood is open, and I also don't know what B's plans are that he thinks we need a winch, apart from looking even cooler. Apparently it can't be used to straighten out the 4 runner's bumper.

It's all not very efficient and environment friendly, but it is a lot of fun.

Oh, and since you can't really see it in any of the pictures, the 4 runner does have all seats.

• Nina wrote:
    Ooh is that Dutch? License plate looks Dutch.

Yeah, bunch of fucking Eindhoven nerds. Their solar vehicle R&D is stupidly good in Eindhoven, this ain't the first time i've seen their stuff. 

Also, nice to see the 4Runner coming along, hopefully it all comes back together nicely. And congrats on the Jeep Winch - Winches are very important.
  • I can genuinely think of at least three episodes in my fairly recent life where a winch would have been helpful.  All vehicle, including bikes, should have at least one.
  • Got me up those muddy embankments in U4 too.
  • Yeah, winches are one of those things that turn up a lot in various media but that no one in their right mind actually uses in real life, like elevator trains and condoms.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What a fucking prick. Drag the cunt there and make him do a shift
  • Oh but he thinks he’s a very hard worker. He’s “worked” 120 hour weeks. No one changed the world working 40-hour weeks, he’s said.

It’s this weird moral superiority, this total belief that he is a better person than almost anyone else on the planet and thus deserves all the money whilst others get what they get because they aren’t as good as him that’s so bizarre
  • Funkstain wrote:
    It’s this weird moral superiority, this total belief that he is a better person than almost anyone else on the planet and thus deserves all the money whilst others get what they get because they aren’t as good as him that’s so bizarre

I dunno, seems to be a pretty common mindset among the super-wealthy.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pretty common mindset in America in general.
  • It's crazy how EVs keep getting pushed in the UK when hydrogen would be a good replacement based on the ease of modifying existing infrastructure. There are some very remote places in the UK as well where I doubt the infrastructure would ever be suitable or good enough for EV only vehicles
  • ZMM wrote:
    It's crazy how EVs keep getting pushed in the UK when hydrogen would be a good replacement based on the ease of modifying existing infrastructure. There are some very remote places in the UK as well where I doubt the infrastructure would ever be suitable or good enough for EV only vehicles

I keep reading this argument about hydrogen but surely were it more viable at this time thats the way wed have gone?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!