The Whisky thread
  • Sounds like the Talisker Storm is like the 10, only with everything ramped up
  • No age statement though. I'm not even that picky about my whisky, but that's a bad trend.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not sure why no age statements are a bad thing if its priced accordingly and is a good drink?
  • It's the fact they've banged on for years about how important the age statement is, then they run out of stock and it's apparently not that important at all.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But a lot of no age statements are from aged barrels but from a mixture of different ages, so it is impossible to put an age on it, aren't they? Basically a single malt blend?
  • That's the case with most malts anyway, it's the youngest that counts towards the age. They're using a lot of young whisky now and would rather make up fancy names than risk putting the age on the bottle.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ok. I suppose it is harder to demand 60 quid for an 8 year old if you put the age on the bottle if your only asking for 80 quid for your 21 year old.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    beano wrote:
    Hmm. Any Japanese Whisky recommendations?
    Had this the other day: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2923.aspx It was awesome.  They also have a 12 year old version at a more reasonable price.
    What PTS said.

Went into London on SUnday with one of Bean's demons, so we could grab food, (Princi, Wardor Street- good value, good eats) and go by Liberty so she could grab something fancy and we past royalmilewhiskys.com where I dragged her in, she instantly took to the chair, which I imagine most women do when the bloke they're with insists on perusing whisky.

I wanted the Haka' as I'd drank some Yama' at a friends house after Carcass gig on Thursday night. Alas there was no Haka' but they had the Hibiki and I grabbed a bottle of the 12yr. 

I plan to sample it this evening.

Cheers for all the pointers lads.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • It's tremendous.  Wish I'd bought a bottle at the Whisky fest the other week, gonna be on the lookout in the shops.

Meanwhile, Sainsbury's are doing a cheap Jura (Elixir I think) - 12yr single malt.  It's 10 quid for a half bottle, reasonably decent every-day stuff - very drinkable.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm up in Inverary for the week, so it's a visit to Loch Fyne Whiskys and The George for a few meals, which has one of the widest range of drams around. First off, wedding anniversary meal at The George (food fucking awesome) and a few shorts. Laphroaig 1/4 cask, which was peaty excellence with an underlying rich sweetness as aftertaste which really set it apart from the 10yr. Also had an Old Pulteney 17yr which was citrusy, salty and smooth as hell. Both excellent.

A trip to LFW to buy a bottle of the OP17 turned into an impromptu tasting session in which the owner convinced me to buy a bottle of McDonalds Traditional Ben Nevis Malt, which is distilled as close to the recipe of 1883 as possible, using peated barley (it was also £10 cheaper than I would've spent on the OP). It is absolutely delicious. A super-rich, oiley and sharp tasting dram with a peaty biting aftertaste which sticks in your mouth for ages. A quick look on t'internet says it retails at £70. I got it for £39. Never seen it before and it's amazing - highly recommended.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That Hibiki is damn sweet, it's like a good wine- or more like a vermouth but nothing like a vermouth. Wot.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Drank all my whisk(e)y. I should probably buy some more.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just opened a bottle of jura superstition and have to say I'm not impressed. It isn't a patch on my usual tipple. Despite being weaker it is no way near as smooth. It has less smokey flavours and no sweetness at all. It just has no complexity as far as I can tell. Very disappointed.
  • When you believe in things that you don't understand
    Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have seen the light. I shall swim back to the isle of Islay and not leave.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Well, at least it's a short swim. Welcome home.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Now I'm in Moscow I'm in this thread. All my clients drink whiskey so now I do. I've got opinions now
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What are the preferences over there? I would assume single malt scotch whisky, would I be right?
  • mk64 wrote:
    Now I'm in Moscow I'm in this thread. All my clients drink whiskey so now I do. I've got opinions now

It's be interesting to see what you'll do if you find out your clients are also paedos.
  • Uigedail and A'bunadh back-to-back. Marvelling at the taste sensation.
  • Uigedail and A'bunadh back-to-back. Marvelling at the taste sensation.

How do they compare?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's a survey on the suntory website- you could bag yourself a collection of their whisky's.

http://www.suntory-whisky.com/en
  • @Gremill After the Uigedail, the A'bunadh tastes incredibly sweet. I'm getting Christmas cake AND marzipan on the finish after the Oogy. Both are very good. Almost half-way through the Aberlour. Lovely.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Done the Suntory thing, fingers crossed.

Went to Tesco for some Cobra to go with my Indian take away and ended up with a £25 bottle of Jura Superstition. Oops.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Poor choice sparky
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, had it before, it's lush.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Its not too bad I suppose, but really not to my taste. I shan't be buying another bottle once the one I have is finished.
  • Send it me then you Philistine, I farking love a drop of Superstition.

Opened up my sole remaining bottle, the Jura Origin, last night. Looking at the tasting notes, I was getting the honey and caramel, but for the life of me I wasn't getting the liquorice.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would do but I subscribe to this mantra:

“There is no bad whiskey. There are only some whiskeys that aren't as good as others.”
    ― Raymond Chandler
  • Absolutely, I say the same myself although I never realised it was he that uttered it. I must have consumed it subconsciously.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!