The Whisky thread
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hibiki is moreish...so moreish. I'm not drinking it right now. But. I. Want. To.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cardhu 12 year old for me tonight. After having the last drops from my Laphroaig quarter cask earlier I seem to be able to notice the flavours in this much better than last time I drank it. Sweet caramel and malty flavours to start, followed by a fruityness I can't quite put my finger on, and finishing with a bitter orange.

My palate seems to be developing over time, it makes drinking much more enjoyable. Either that or I'm pished.
  • I've noticed that too, once you come off a peat-binge, the other malts are far more flavoury. Man, check out my tasting vocab!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Peat-binge am good words, although 'smelly cunt' is getting conjured for some reason.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • metagonzo wrote:
    Thought I would take a punt on a bourbon so I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek. It smells amazing!
    Ginger ale and a huge squeeze of lime. Delicious.  You're allowed to contaminate bourbon. Just not scotch. ;)

Carve that in stone and place it upon some form of mantle.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Been to the Whisky Exchange today and managed to get my lips around some yamazaki 18 single malt. It was amazing, a really really good drink. I couldn't quite stretch to £110 for the bottle but my wife did treat me to a bottle of the 12 year old so will be having a bit of that later.
  • Bought some Highland Park yesterday, which I don't think I'd had before. Its really lovely, very rich and slightly sweet with quite a smoky finish.

Also, for anyone looking for a bargain, Sainsburys are doing The Balvenie Signature 12yr for £21, which is a fucking great deal.
  • Been to the Whisky Exchange today and managed to get my lips around some yamazaki 18 single malt. It was amazing, a really really good drink. I couldn't quite stretch to £110 for the bottle but my wife did treat me to a bottle of the 12 year old so will be having a bit of that later.

I've tasted the 12 yr old (at the Whisky Exchange actually), it's decent.  Did they have the 18yr old in store as a taster, or did you do a tour?  Last time I went they were offering sips of elderflower liqueur, so it sounds like you got luckier than I did.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The 12 year old is lovely. I wouldn't mind doing a blind test between that and the 18, just to see if I could taste the difference.
  • Currently drinking something from the hundred cask.

It's nice
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Currently drinking something from the hundred cask.

It's nice

What is it? Details man!
  • TheDJR wrote:
    100 year old Bell's.

Nah, its High Commissioner.
  • Lol, man, I've had the displeasure of trying that before, rough stuff.
  • I'm gonna treat myself to a bottle of bourbon after pay day, open to recommendations, max 50 quid.
  • Booker's.
  • Woodford Reserve.  Then you can spend the change on Gremil's Balvenie.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Been to the Whisky Exchange today and managed to get my lips around some yamazaki 18 single malt. It was amazing, a really really good drink. I couldn't quite stretch to £110 for the bottle but my wife did treat me to a bottle of the 12 year old so will be having a bit of that later.
    I've tasted the 12 yr old (at the Whisky Exchange actually), it's decent.  Did they have the 18yr old in store as a taster, or did you do a tour?  Last time I went they were offering sips of elderflower liqueur, so it sounds like you got luckier than I did.

I asked if I could have a taste of the 12 year old and the hibiki 12. The guy said he didn't have the hibiki open but might have the yamazaki. Turned out he only had the 18, not 12, open so let me try that. It is similar to the 12 but much more complex and so much smoother. If it was closer to £70 instead of £110 I would definitely have bought it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The 12 year old is lovely. I wouldn't mind doing a blind test between that and the 18, just to see if I could taste the difference.

You would, easily. Both very nice but the 18 is so so much smoother, and has a really fruity nose, almost like sherry or Madeira.
  • I'm drinking wine but I wish I'd opted for whisky now, I really fancy a bourbon on the rocks now.  I always make the wrong decision.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I did look for a bottle of George T Stagg at the Whiskys Exchange but unfortunately non was there.
  • I looked for that the other day too.  It got a very good write up in Whisky Magazine iirc, I think it topped one of their end of year lists.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm drinking wine but I wish I'd opted for whisky now, I really fancy a bourbon on the rocks now.  I always make the wrong decision.

Hey, there's always the nightcap.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I'm looking after my 11yr old niece while my gf is at a hen night, so one bottle of wine max.  She's currently watching Wolf Creek on dvd, so I'm probably not doing a very good job as it is.
  • It's after 11 and she's watching an Aussie psycho flick, at least take the top off... woah the bottle of bourbon I mean.
  • Haha.  Her mum let her watch Blade when she was 7, which is always my yardstick for bad parenting.

Edit: I've just remembered she was 12 a few weeks ago, so I don't feel so bad now.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Much better.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • beano wrote:
    There's a survey on the suntory website- you could bag yourself a collection of their whisky's. http://www.suntory-whisky.com/en

Entered and got an email confirmation:

mail_body.jpg

Surely some mistake?
  • this is what I was drinking

royal_salute_100_cask_2.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The 18 year Yamazaki is amazing, and I would say definitely worth the price. Plus, £110 for a whisky isn't too bad. Sure, it's expensive (and you can get a bottle for ~95 on the internet), but it's not like a bottle of wine. Once you've opened it up it will keep, and a bottle could last you a fairly long time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!