Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My brother got me the Hibiki 12 for my birthday. Love it.
  • My big regret from the whisky fest is not buying a bottle of that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fucking hell, I forgot to mention it's his birthday in July and I'd like to return the favour. He likes things a bit on the peaty side, the frog is too much but he turned his nose up at my bottle of Aberlour as it was 'Too sweet'. He'd probably have spat out the Jura Origin if I'd given him some. Any suggestions around the £50 mark?
  • Lagavulin 16 or an Ardbeg.
  • Just imagine a couple of Russian mobsters having it on the rocks with some lemonade.
  • I_R wrote:
    Lagavulin 16 or an Ardbeg.

+1 enthusiastic nod.

Also, I'm being treated to one of those whisky tasting evenings apparently, as a deal popped up on Wowcher this week.  Six drams and an evening of learning, focusing on Scottish single malts.

• Christ on a bike! That works out at about 380 quid a shot. Although an official dram would only be 32quid!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The laphroaig quarter cask is a very good compromise. Slightly peaty but with a little sweetness. Very nice.
  • Ok so this is whats passed my lips recently. 

we5r.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • not sure why the pics aren't showing up :( any help please?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do it properly?
  • w0u7.jpg
    jvbd.jpg
    8li6.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It works now, you did it good. How was it?

edit: the glenlivet
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I find it odd that the recycling symbol and don't drink while pregnant symbol are so prominent on the front of such a high premium bottle as that.
  • i liked the glenlivet, the older bottle was nicer but both were nice tbh.. 

i've got to be frank though i've only recently started drinking whiskey - pretty much the last two years so i'm still learning massively. 

My father in law and brother in law are into their whiskey but generally get given it rather than choosing it themselves but its usually top stuff. I've started picking up bottles from duty free as I go from moscow to london and back and starting to build up a selection in my uk house. Its a pain though as its drunk so much quicker than any of the other spirits so the collection never grows..
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Some of the duty free stuff is only available in duty free shops (travel market) and only for a limited period, the distilleries use it as a test bed I think, market research etc. They can become quite valuable once they go out of production if you pick the right one.
  • Found the George T. Stagg hyperbourbon for under 2-hundo locally. It's on the list.
  • On the other end of the malt scale...I opened a bottle of Monkey Shoulder last night that I got for my birthday. I'd tasted it before, but I'm surprised again about how drinkable it actually is - cheap and cheerful, with quite a lot of flavours going on.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, monkey shoulder is pretty decent for what it is, it also makes me feel like a pirate for some reason.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Everyone seems to love the Jura except me. I feel like I'm missing something. I've only tried the 10yr old mind, but I've had the same bottle for two years, and there's a good session left in it.

I've only tried the 10 year Jura (Origin), and I thought it was fucking awful. Not in a snobby way, as in, it tastes like whisky which has corked. The taste was so bad I couldn't even drink it with a mixer. It made me feel really guilty because my parents bought it as a gift.

I bought a very unpretentious bottle of young Glenmorangie for not a lot recently, and it's doing a very good job of stopping me drinking the 'posh' whisky. Quality.
  • A bit behind here. @The Daddy - I have a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel and it tastes amazing. Only comes in a 50cl bottle but it's fairly cheap and is well worth a punt. I noticed that Tesco have a sale on their whisky at the moment and I bought a bottle of Old Pulteney for 25 quid. They are also doing Highland Park 12 for the same price. I also picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder but I haven't opened it yet.

I've parked my peaty stuff for later in the year and have also been sipping away at a 12-year-old Royal Lochnegar which is very good. Planning on picking up a bourbon or two on pay day - haven't decided what I'll get yet, but The Good Spirits Co - a liquor store near work - has a fine selection.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just got a bottle of Glenlivet 18 for £36.60 from tesco. That's a bargain.
  • I've parked my peaty stuff for later in the year and have also been sipping away at a 12-year-old Royal Lochnegar which is very good. Planning on picking up a bourbon or two on pay day - haven't decided what I'll get yet, but The Good Spirits Co - a liquor store near work - has a fine selection.

The GSCo Facebook feed makes my mouth water, looks like a great shop. Going to visit next time I'm in town.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    2020? We should still be getting reasonably priced bottles until 2035
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    In a hotel bar, a shot of Lagavulin 16yr, SEVEN QUID! It's lovely though.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Are you in a hotel bar in 2035?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The last of the peaty ones is going to be an expensive one.
  • I think Laguvalin 16 is about that much in Browns in Reading, though that's for a double.... (so completely different then....)

Speaking of which, the whisky selection in there is really weird - some quite 'difficult' whisky, and then -more expensive than all the others- the fairly generic blend of Johnnie Walker gold. I suppose it is quite an expensive bottle, but still, it doesn't look like a lot of thought has gone into the menu. Actually thinking about it, I don't know why I thought it was so weird.

This is not my strongest post ever.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!