I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is. I had forgotten just how good it is.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Futari Diary : Got deep into level 4 tonight - best score ever at 73m.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some more runs tonight - not quite as tight - maybe it's from playing Super Meat Boy!!! :) Still a level 4 run though. Silly mistakes in level 3 which now pretty much feels just like a reasonable level - it used to scare me to death. I tried level 5 in practice mode with the gem counter set to 8000 and I got past the mid boss with my 3 lives so that is encouraging - there's the boss of course. But all in good time. I'm enjoying myself.

Moved over to Black Label to check that out - got to the mid boss of level 5 first try! BL always felt a bit easier and came across as a score challenge mode and not really a survival mode.  There is a goodly amount of slowdown which helps survival freestyle play and routes will be more about scoring I am guessing. Still - if I can chalk it up as a 1CC I won't complain.

Of course there's Maniac and Ultra which are the main dishes for the more skilled.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More daft mistakes . More level 4 runs. Broke 80m for the first time though - so there's that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good old STG weekly have come back. Raiden DX playthroughs here.

• I'll give that a watch, cheers, Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got the Raiden Project and Raiden DX for my JP PS a year or two ago before prices went mad but I haven't really spent much time with them. What I was really surprised at was the graphical detail of R2 and RDX  - they set a really high standard for that graphical style.

It's definitely nudged DX up my list for having a crack at re 1CCing. R2 is supposed to be cripplingly tough and I had may arse smacked by Raiden III (had to step down to Easy to get my 1CC and even that was no walkover because of its stupidly slow ship speed). DX seems to be more forgiving with its modes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Couple of crappy runs tonight on Futari but had a run to the level 4 boss.

Level 4 is an odd one. It doesn't feel that hard - easier than level 3 maybe but if I'm to no miss it then I need to practice a good route. It's mainly swathes of popcorn interspersed with a relatively small number of large enemies with cancels. Usually catches me out though and I will lose a life. Mid boss is oddly easy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    93m run to level 4 tonight. 

#733 on the old xbox live leaderboards  Go me!  :)

Need to do some level 4 focussed practice.
  • Nice!  Killing it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. Getting deep into level 4 consistently but lose a life or two in level 3 to silly mistakes and you are under pressure. Need to get better at lvl3 boss which has some nasty patterns.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think you have to buy physical from Japan for Rolling Gunner on Switch? Drainus on PC though. Srsly.
    Ah right. No PC gaming for me tho.

Maybe I missed a later post but this is coming to Switch in 5 days.
  • That's good to know. Drainus is a delight.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think you have to buy physical from Japan for Rolling Gunner on Switch? Drainus on PC though. Srsly.
    Ah right. No PC gaming for me tho.

Maybe I missed a later post but this is coming to Switch in 5 days.

Yep, nothing gets past me on the eshop. Got it on my wishlist :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm staying away from new shmups for the time being.

My hit list consists of Futari, Layer Section and Samurai Aces. Three games that are definitely unfinished business.  

A 1-ALL of Samurai Aces would be enough - have come too close in the past to give it up. 

Layer Section has had the best of me twice now. I still haven't managed to get to the last level on 1 credit. Have 2 credit cleared it though (I think - will need to check)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pt2. of Shooting Weekly's coverage of Raiden DX is up .

This is some hardcore game. The scoring depth is bonkers - as this video demonstrates.   Wonder what @Dubs would make of it.  The loop/advance requirements feels a bit over contrived but it's pretty amazing the devs built this into a game.

• Anyone have any recommendations for Saturn exclusive SHMUPs, or even just really good ports on the system.

I've a JP Saturn so any NTSC releases.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Section is one of the best shooters on the console. It's an old school game - but has a 2 layer/plane system like Xevious with a lock on feature that is really satisfying and has a nice combo scoring scheme. Some enemies start low down and fly up to your level - but take them out low down and you save yourself a lot of trouble dodging bullets. :) 
    The level design is superb and it's quite cinematic - each level blends into one another using in-game graphics. Tough though - and no bombs to save you. Sensibly priced still - though that won't matter if you have a solid state drive installed! (I don't).

This is one of my best runs on it without continuing (recorded anyhow - every life lost is a bloody stupid mistake) - this is running in MAME but the Saturn port runs exactly the same and if anything is better - its soundtrack is superior at any rate.  The sound glitches in MAME too. Despite the recent Switch port Saturn is still the best version (The Switch port is the emulated Saturn port with control lag).

Soukyugarentai is a lovely game too. It has a enemy lock-on mechanic too but it's quite different from Layer Section. Each different ship has a different lock on "web" that lets you attack the levels in different ways. Not an easy game either. I haven't got deep into yet but its quality is obvious after playing for 10mins. On my enormous pile of shame. No idea how much it costs though.

Sega Ages Fantasy Zone is a rock solid port of the arcade game. Has some nice unlockable options to make the game a bit easier(!). Pastel hued and a bit cute but it's no walkover. Features a shop system for buying weapon upgrades that encourages experimentation because the more you use a weapon the more expensive it gets (unless you unlock and use the toggle inflation option.) Sensibly priced.

Saturn got solid ports of the Gradius, Salamander and Parodius games too but they aren't exclusive.  

Its port of Game Paradise is exclusive too and it's excellent. The PS1 got the sequel. Not sure how these prices have faired though,
  • Thunderforce V was always rated in the mags. 3D engine though, so the PS port might be the way to go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took a little crack at Time Pilot '84 after watching a YT play of it. I remember it in the arcade and didn't like it. I loved the original game and the sequel looked really dull -  but it has hidden depths....a real nice score chasing game.  Tried it with a pad but needs the stick - will go back to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JP copy of Strikers 1945 1&2 for PS2 arrived today. Felt I should have a physical copy of these.

It's a pity these games didn't get the releases they deserve as they are kind of brilliant. These are pretty much the PS1 ports shunted onto PS2 (and thus are the same as on Saturn too I guess).

No high score save. There's TATE though which is more important but fuck me, no score saving?

The biggest crime is that if you get a game over you auto continue if you hit any face button!!!!!!! I've had to remap fire/bomb onto the L1/2 buttons on my stick,  Of course - no saves - so you have to configure them every time you power the game up.

What a crock of shit.  Still - this is more for collecting. The Switch ports are bare bones but at least they don't commit these crimes!  

Comes with a superplay DVD though which is nice. One of the plays is in TATE.  :)
  • Last few days I have been playing:
    Drainius
    Ikaruga, tate
    Raiden IV Overkill (arcade mode), tate
    Sol Cresta demo, tate

All with RAP3.

Hadn't realised how good Raiden is.
    Warming to Drainius.
    Ikaruga still makes my brain melt.
    Sol Cresta - how did they make it so ugly?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiden is one of those games that hides its greatness under very ordinary looking graphics. Even the old original game reveals its charms the more you play. Raiden 2 and DX initially look like minor upgrades until you start to notice the lovely graphical details and then you start to figure out the deep scoring.

IV is a splendid game -- there's an overkill mode that is super addictive - like juggling a defeated character in a versus fighter. Hit a defeated enemy enough times and you get bonus pickups. Horrifically addictive in that risk/reward way.

Raiden V was a bit of a disappointment for me - still a nice game though.
  • Thoughts in Sol Cresta? It's not budged from full price on PSN but I'm interested.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't even looked at it! I remember the original game from way back. The remake got OK-ish reviews. I think it's very much something for people who really like the original.

Played a lot of Moon Cresta in the arcade but it was a real coin muncher. Terra Cresta not as much but a nice game. Was more of a MAME experience for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • I can't work out Sol Cresta. Bullets are slow and easy to dodge. Powerup system looks in depth. And I couldn't work out the purpose of the splitting/docking.

It's very expensive and looks amazingly awful. I mean, seriously crap.

Still, I can see something in it.

Moot, Switch version has comical levels of input lag. (unless they've patched it since).

edit: watching the video. Moon Cresta is what I played the most. I did play Terra but not a lot. Sol is a new version of Terra.
  • I'll think I'll swerve it in favour of Dranius at some point then, ta.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thoughts in Sol Cresta? It's not budged from full price on PSN but I'm interested.

It’s a bit shit. Overcomplicated and slow.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!