I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's hard to get the balance between easy and boring. Some older console exclusives are worth a look though that is no guarantee of easy - I always found RType III on SNES very tough for example.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Talking of Progear, Cave's spiritual successor to that gem - Akai Katana Shin - just dropped on Steam for £25. It should drop on Playstation, Xbox, and Switch tomorrow. 

Looks like this port is based on the 360 version so expect the same 4 to 5 frames of input lag, not quite as smooth as Mame then, but I'll probably grab it again on both PC and PS for the benefits of a retail release, plus that Slash/Shin mode. 

• Tasty. I do like a hori scroller these days. Would nab for sub 10 probs.
  • Good game. Spent a fair amount of time on it on 360.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I like Bullet Heaven because they gave Rive top marks across the board iirc.
  • I like Bullet Heaven because they gave Rive top marks across the board iirc.
  • Quite fortunate I only posted that twice tbh. Was pressing the post button for ages.
  • Lol. Bullet Heaven were great, and they've left a very big in-depth-shmup-review shaped hole with their passing. As good as Electric Underground is, Mark's an acquired taste. As is Shmup Junkie. Everyone else I've seen just seems like fluff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have it for 360 and on my pile of shame.

This is a City Connection release so it will be a 360 shift and shunt job.

Probably adds a frame or two of lag as well. Shame.

Mark is a bit anal about control lag but then he has done a DDP 2-ALL so he will feel it. I like his channel though. Same with shmup junkie.  There's the Bullet Heaven channel too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS2 to USB adaptor arrived today so I can use my PS1/2 sticks with Steam and MAME now. My Hori Ex-2 360 sticks are OK but just aren't as good. The buttons are starting to play up and upgrading them isn't that easy because the connections are soldered.

Thought I could have used the PS paddle controller with my Atari game compilation paddle games but sadly it doesn't work. I thought the paddle would have mapped onto the L analogue stick. It seems not.  :( Would have been a nice bonus.  I should see if the NegCon twister works with it...
  • Just grabbed Raging Blasters by doujin dev Terarin Games on Steam, it's 50% atm (£ 5.69) and I've been meaning to pick it up for a while.

The game looks like it channels old PC Engine caravan shooters pretty hard and reviews have been universally excellent. Looking forward to jumping in. 

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So.....got the old 360 out,  connected it up to my rotated CRT and booted up Futari.

I think it's high time I went back to that bit of unfinished business. This is my new 1CC challenge. Normal Original.

Gorgeous game. Laverly looking.  And it isn't as hard as I remember. Now that's probably because I'm a better/more confident player now with a Mushi 1CC under my belt, but I'm also sitting up close which I think makes a big difference. I used to just play this on the big TV from the sofa.

Second half of level 3 is still tricky but it's nothing like as scary to me as it used to be. Got to the lvl3 boss first go. It's still a challenge though but some routing will see me tame it pretty quickly I reckon.

Level 5 of Futari is pretty intimidating though - I only ever got to level 4 on a 1CC. Of course I've played it casually and spammed through but it's a bonkers long level. And that final boss may be beyond me but I'm going to have a crack.

My 360 sticks are playing up though - some buttons are randomly not responding - not good. I tried remapping the buttons but it seems to be endemic in the sticks I have. :( They were cheap and 2nd hand so no complaints but it's annoying and you can't upgrade without getting into soldering - so I may have to look around for something.

My PS2 to USB adaptor doesn't work on the 360 so might look around for a PS2/360 adaptor as I have a couple of nice PS1/2 sticks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If only...

mushiStick.png
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The game looks like it channels old PC Engine caravan shooters pretty hard and reviews have been universally excellent.

PC Engine you say? Colour me intrigued.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raging Blasters looks nice - I love that simpler but solid look.

PCEngine games on the Wii were a real eye opener for me. I got some superb shmups for it on that platform. Way better than many SNES and MD games.

Gate of Thunder and Star Parodier are stand outs just off the top of my head.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I still regularly fire up my PC Engine mini for some Gradius II.

I'm still shit at it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Have you tried Gradius III?

Makes II seem like a warm up exercise.

PSP Collection has difficulty settings like easiest, very easy, easy, normal, hard :-)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gradius III and IV (arcade - you can play them on PS2) are cruel, coin eating dirges that wrecked the series.

I played the original in the arcade and it was great but mostly played the NES port but that was a very long time ago. I can vouch for the NES port - as primitive as it was it feels like playing the arcade game.

(Incidentally , that is what made the 2600 arcade ports so good way back in the day - they were miniature works of ingenuity as they felt like the arcade game even though they had little more than a passing resemblance graphically).

I remember going back to 1 and 2 when I got them for Saturn a few years ago and was reminded just how good the series was at the start. Sure it still has the power down problem when you lose a life but they feel fairer.  Gradius V was a return to form and it solves that problem by leaving options around to pick up after a life loss - though it's still probably far too bloody hard. Even on its easiest level it's still a cruel mistress.
  • Agree with all of that, and II is my favourite. Haven't tried V and only played IV via the PSP Collection - wasn't impressed. Gaiden seemed ok - again only played via PSP/Vita.

The only good thing about III is the SNES version as it is a) easier; and b) has superior music. The music when you descend in level 3 is amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never tried III on SNES. I believe there is a hack of the ROM that reduces the slowdown quite a bit - not sure if that is a good thing or not!!

Gradius V is worth a look if you have the means to play it. It's Treasure doing their thing and it's spectacular looking.
  • Yes, emulators (presumably) and flash cards can apply the SA-1 chip to the rom and speed it up. Haven't tried it though. Arcade difficulty and no slow down would trun it in to a challenge. Still probably nothing like Arcade III though.

Had a look at a video of V. Looks pretty good, and probably developed by the Ikaruga team :-)

Have a PS2 but no controller or game disk. Going to see how to get the bios from it and use an emulator for V.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    V can still be picked up quite reasonably - it got quite a big run. V and RType Final were reasons to get a PS2 (at least for me) but if you can emulate that obvs an easier way of checking it out.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I don’t think I have played Gradius III.

I remember staunchly defending R Type Final to my uni house mate.

He was right, eventually, as we did get a Final 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Final 2 is generally considered ropey. It's officially branded but it isn't an Irem developed product. More an indie effort.  I think it was crowd funded.

Original Final is the last one for me.

Must check my RType Final save - think I got to the last level but never completed it.   :(   I gave up unlocking stuff once I unlocked Mr Heli :)
  • Just patched Gradius III for no slowdown. Ouch. Might go back to the original.

There might be a lot less bullets and less complex landscapes compared to the arcade version but at least the arcade version has slow down. This is just comically fast.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh. Slowdown isn't always bad - depends if it's there by design.   That's usually the case with Cave bullet hell games but it was never always clear with 16bit games.

As long as it is consistent it's OK. Nothing worse than slowdown kicking in and then ceasing at random.
  • I played through R Type Final 2 on PS5 last year. I wouldn't quite stretch to ropey but it definitely wasn't anything special.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Probably a victim of the hype.  From what I heard it was at best an OK but some weren't as refrained in their criticism.

It's a miracle the original game worked - I find it hard to believe every combo of ship , remote and orb was tested on every level!!  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to level 4 of Futari this evening.  Took me months to achieve that when I first got the 360 and this game.

Had a practice session trying to route level 3. Such a gorgeous level and that soundtrack is glorious.
  • OST is gdlk
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!