I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I TOLD YOU ITS CRAP
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • YES, YOU!
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    So I bought Sol Cresta. It's crap. Poor music, reused bosses, and crap bosses at that. I enjoyed the demo but the main game doesn't add a lot more, just throws more stuff at you, and with the odd stutter here and there (not slowdown), just a poor game. Still, I'd had a good run of purchases: Drainius Battle Garegga (fantastic game) 4 * Toaplan games (inc Twin Cobra) and this :-(
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    So I bought Sol Cresta. It's crap. Poor music, reused bosses, and crap bosses at that. I enjoyed the demo but the main game doesn't add a lot more, just throws more stuff at you, and with the odd stutter here and there (not slowdown), just a poor game. Still, I'd had a good run of purchases: Drainius Battle Garegga (fantastic game) 4 * Toaplan games (inc Twin Cobra) and this :-(

Sophstar is calling you.  I think it's a Toaplan inspired though (saw it mentioned in a couple of reviews), so maybe you've had your fill for now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    YES, YOU!

I know :-(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    So I bought Sol Cresta. It's crap.

:(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More Futari this evening. Played level 4 in practice mode for a while then did a couple of runs. Will take a while to get warmed up again. It's nice playing with a stick again - a pad kills my hands now.
  • Just watched the top score replay on Battle Garegga. The final level at max rank is insane.

Boss score milking detracts overall but the skill level is godly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - seeing videos with boss milking do nothing for me. Also - if one is looking for tips to beat it they are useless. I'd rather see a gutsy survival clear than soulless point grinding.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cave 2-loop clears are always good value - the best players basically get to the TLB with most or all lives and bombs in stock and even they then bleed away resources on the final insane bullet patterns.  Bombs on Cave TLBs don't actually harm the boss - they only clear the bullets. So many of those runs end with one life left.

Look at our very own @Dubs Ketsui URA 2-ALL...  down to the wire. :)   How these people keep it together while the lives are being chipped away is beyond me...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For the record, I don't think there are many achievements in shmups harder than Dubs' Ketsui run.  The URA qualification requires no life loss or bomb use in the 1st loop.

A 2-ALL of DDP DOJ white label is one candidate (at the start of loop 2 it takes all your extra lives away and you cannot continue), or maybe 1CCs of the 1.01 version of Futari Maniac/Ultra modes which had to be rebalanced in v1.5.

It's a truly impressive, elite level performance.
  • Dubs is a machine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think he said Ketsui 2-ALL URA was the hardest thing he ever did - 2 years or thereabouts. Insane.
  • The man (sorry, I meant machine) must be mega proud.  What an achievement.  And people cry over FromSoft games - they're piss easy in comparison!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He followed up his first clear with another one to get placed on the PS leaderboards(!)
  • I think the only 1CC I have ever done is Futari Arrange modes, but they were easy for survival!
  • Muzzy will no doubt remind me that I haven't 1CC'd Resogun and he has.  I got to final boss several times and fluffed it.  :(
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Dubs is a machine.

Sent from the future to teach us all how to play games.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Well he's not doing a very good job, I'm still crap.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only got a few 1CCs.

Super Aleste and Super SWIV in the day (SWIV doesn't allow continues anyhow), but Super Aleste has harder modes to clear.  I clocked Megamania on the 2600 which wasn't easy - it only has 8 levels but the loops get progressively tougher - not just speed - the patterns change too - way ahead of its time. The game ends when you score 999,999.

In recent years I have knuckled down and seriously tried to 1CC some games. Have managed these:

Darius Gaiden (using the easiest route and autofire). Have managed a deathless run.
    Gigawing
    Raiden III (on easy)
    Mushihimesama Original - cleared Novice first but that wasn't a real challenge - I have 180hrs clocked up on this bloody game. I want to go back to it and try a Maniac clear.

Have cleared DFK Arcade on Novice but that barely counts - really need to clear that on Normal. Have got to the last level several times on Normal - a 1-ALL is all I could seriously hope for.

I haven't a clue what is going on in Futari's Arrange mode!!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rounded off some Futari level 4 practice with a 1 credit run to the level 4 boss - got his health bar down to halfway too. :)  Not my best score but probably my best run.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Oh hi <3

Yes, the Ura 2-ALL is definitely the hardest videogame thing I've done, good fun though.  Doing it a second time isn't too crazy because the mental pressure is massively reduced.

Anyway I got a decent run in on Futari Maniac, mentally checked out after the first death in Stage 5 but it's pretty good up until then I think.  Would've been nice to get a decent score and a clear in the same run but I'd like to move on now, another time maybe.

• 1cc on Garegga - super easy mode :-)

One life lost, but would have been quite a few more if not for autobomb.
  • Sol Cresta refunded.

Will look at Akka Arrh now - cheaper than Cresta and probably almost certainly made with a lot more care and effort.
  • Mesmerising game and game play from Dubs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Oh hi <3 Yes, the Ura 2-ALL is definitely the hardest videogame thing I've done, good fun though.  Doing it a second time isn't too crazy because the mental pressure is massively reduced. Anyway I got a decent run in on Futari Maniac, mentally checked out after the first death in Stage 5 but it's pretty good up until then I think.  Would've been nice to get a decent score and a clear in the same run but I'd like to move on now, another time maybe.

So much more to Maniac than there is in Original in Futari....

That's a really nice clean capture there by the way.
  • Maniac is amazing!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't spent much time with it to be honest. When I first got the game I stuck to Original and Original BL.
  • So Akka Arrh. Very Minter, very unusual.

Starts off really relaxed and then kicks off from level 9. No music, just sounds effects - some better than others.

1st go got to level 13 and level 14 on my 2nd. Think I understand it now, but there is a lot to take on board and I wasn't quite sure how I died the 1st go.

Cool, but will be an aquired taste.
  • Just saw the review in latest Edge. I’ll give it a go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!