Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Baku Baku has aged pretty well actually. It's a nice alternative to Puyo and Puzzle Fighter. Have you ever played with the hidden league mode? Its in the JPN release but its hidden in the PAL version untranslated. Basically it's a 2 player vs mode supporting several save slots and it records the vs records against each save slot.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No I haven't. That's the first I've ever heard of it, actually.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • No Sonic R in that list either.
  • I have, or had at some point, 10 of the top 20.  But I never was that big on Saturn.

Some website did a top 100 of all time recently.  Can't remember who.  G4TV I think.  Wonder how many Saturn exclusives were in there and where.  I think typically ended up as Zelda at 2 and Mario at 1.

I once had the intention of collecting together the many top 100s floating around and seeing on average which game places where.  Just cos I like that kinda stuff.  (I bet Zelda OOT ends up at 1.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I honestly believe OoT to be the best game I've played.

Not my favourite though ;-)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No I haven't. That's the first I've ever heard of it, actually.

Press B A C Up B A C Up at the screen showing undergrowth just before the main title appears and it will be added to the menu. Gamefaqs lists it.

• @Adkm: Closest game I know of is Project Firestart which I don't think is quite what you're after.

Still, atmospheric as hell. Riffs on Alien and is set on a ship called 'The Prometheus' heh.

Edit: balls, you said text adventure. Never mind.
  • Nope, sorry Temps.

Raiziel wrote:
    Not confident of this at all but is the second one Starquake?
    Nope, sorry, not hat either.
  • Project Firestart is ace though, creepy survival horror game, probably the first one ever and it gets so much right.
  • That game looks amazing, I need it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No Sonic R in that list either.

Sonic R looks great but the handling's very twitchy - only ever tried it with a dpad - does it support the 3D controller?

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Come on now RACE
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK wrote:
    No Sonic R in that list either.
    Sonic R looks great but the handling's very twitchy - only ever tried it with a dpad - does it support the 3D controller?

Yeah the anaolgue stick worked iirc.  I remember liking it, but pretty soon after I'd seen everything there was to see considering it a bit of a graphical showcase with amusing music and not much else.  It was certainly no Mario Kart, but should've made a list of 100 games.
  • Other omissions from the list:

Blam! Machinehead  - underrated I thought.  Great music.  

World League Soccer '98 - the one with the bizarre code to unlock a full set of correct commentary (with real player names replacing the likes of 'Rion Graggs'), meaning they got Peter Brackley to record everything twice JUST FOR A CHEAT.  Was probably a better game than WWS'98.   

Sonic Jam.  Just a retro collection, but really nicely done.

Swagman - I only ever played the demo but it did seem pretty good. 

There are probably more, but I'm just spitballing for the sake of it now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just got delivery of an NTSC RGB SCART cable for my Japanese Saturn - was using a PAL RGB SCART cable which can be hit or miss depending on the TV. The PAL cable wouldn't work through my new powered Thor SCART switch so I went ahead and got the new cable.

Makes a big difference - in fact my CRT was playing up a bit - it may have been because the PAL cable and JPN Saturn were sending odd voltages to the TV. This seems to have "fixed" it and having a powered SCART switch makes such a difference re vibrancy of image.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sonic Jam.  Just a retro collection, but really nicely done.

Swagman - I only ever played the demo but it did seem pretty good. 

Think PAL Swagman is worth a mint now.

Re Sonic Jam - yeah - really nice but as usual the PAL version's a bit squashed which is a real pity. Have heard some moans about slowdown in Sonic 2 from NTSC owners too.

• davyK wrote:
    Just got delivery of an NTSC RGB SCART cable for my Japanese Saturn - was using a PAL RGB SCART cable which can be hit or miss depending on the TV. The PAL cable wouldn't work through my new powered Thor SCART switch so I went ahead and got the new cable. Makes a big difference - in fact my CRT was playing up a bit - it may have been because the PAL cable and JPN Saturn were sending odd voltages to the TV. This seems to have "fixed" it and having a powered SCART switch makes such a difference re vibrancy of image.

They probably had different pin outs on the consoles.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I thnk this might be the best place to ask this; I'm trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the Spectrum.  It was a text adventure, based on a massive spaceship.  You could take the elevator to different floors, some of which were massive bio domes with rivers and streams.  You were alone, barring the occasional encounter with particularly unfriendly aliens who basically shot at you on sight, which made for interesting attempts to escape when you encountered them before finding a laser pistol. Oh, I'm alo trying to remember the name of a game, also on the Spectrum, where you had to repair your spaceship.  You walked about screen by screen, I think you maybe had a jet-pack, and an inventory where he empty slots were signified by 'not a sausage' and similar 'comedy' phrases. Not the best descriptions, I know, but I was really very young when I played them.

Snowball?

Lunar Jetman?
  • A massive thank you to @hylian_elf for the Dreamcast arcade stick, which arrived today.
  • No probs. Helps me make space in the house, which is at a premium. 

On Saturday gone I got some containers and put a lot of my games in the loft. Took pics of them as I put then away so I will post them once I'm done maybe this Saturday. I'm missing lots, annoyingly. Either I stupidly sold some that I shouldn't have when I did a clear out a couple of years ago, or some friends have them. ALL MY PS ONE RESI GAMES ARE GONE!!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    NNNNOOOOO I still have mine and I cuddle then every now and again. As I do my GameCube ones.
  • I may have GC RE and RE 0. Maybe. If I don't, I'm a fool for getting rid of them. My DC Code Veronica is missing too. WOTS GOIN OOOONNN????!!!!!
  • Sure youve not sorted them into some kind of resi collection else where?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've looked online as my complete GC Resi collection is worth CASH MONEY
  • Sure youve not sorted them into some kind of resi collection else where?
    Haven't checked for the GC games yet, but the PS and DC games are definitely not there. Must have stupidly sold them. STOOPID!!!
    regmcfly wrote:

It's funny though how the SNES collectors scene has gone from being lower than other consoles to one of the most collectible and costly in recent years. Apparently it's because it's becoming harder and harder to find games with the cardboard packaging in good condition. So when a decent condition game comes on eBay, collectors go crazy. There's a LttP 'almost sealed' copy on eBay at the moment, used, currently at over £100. Crazy.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Sure youve not sorted them into some kind of resi collection else where?
    Haven't checked for the GC games yet, but the PS and DC games are definitely not there. Must have stupidly sold them. STOOPID!!!
    regmcfly wrote:

It's funny though how the SNES collectors scene has gone from being lower than other consoles to one of the most collectible and costly in recent years. Apparently it's because it's becoming harder and harder to find games with the cardboard packaging in good condition. So when a decent condition game comes on eBay, collectors go crazy. There's a LttP 'almost sealed' copy on eBay at the moment, used, currently at over £100. Crazy.

You know whats been in the back of my mind?

Putting together a little mini factory banging out "new" snes games sealed. Couple of earthbounds, SOM's, zeldas, shadowruns, firemen etc and it'd pay for the production line. Highly illegal but a) it would be hard to tell and b) most people wont even touch their copy.

I'm actually considering it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Pretty sure its fraud (assuming you would be claiming its an original) and copyright infringement.
    Then again anyone stupid enough to spend hundreds on a game they will never play deserves to be ripped off
  • You could put medical waste in the box to weight it and make even more money in the disposal racket
  • Mk64, that sounds wrong! What you could do is reproduction boxes and manuals instead as they sell and there's a market for it.
  • mk64 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Sure youve not sorted them into some kind of resi collection else where?
    regmcfly wrote:

You know whats been in the back of my mind?

Putting together a little mini factory banging out "new" snes games sealed. Couple of earthbounds, SOM's, zeldas, shadowruns, firemen etc and it'd pay for the production line. Highly illegal but a) it would be hard to tell and b) most people wont even touch their copy.

I'm actually considering it.

A mate has just bought himself a copy of Starfox 2.

It's a modified StuntRace FX cart, boxed and instructions. Looks good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!