Retro Gaming
  • Castle of Illusion was a fantastic game, I recently won a copy on eBay.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I played Flink and Ecco II on my lunch break, half an hour on each.  Two hours into Flink now, it's not quite a forgotten classic, mainly due to how long it takes your character to build up a head of steam when walking, but I'd definitely place it in the 'overlooked' category.  The spell mixing/casting system spices it up a bit, elevating it above your standard platforming fare, and the graphics are lovely.  Ecco: The Tides of Time has control issues, and the into the screen pseudo-3D sections niether look nor play well today, but it's still a brilliant puzzle game.  I'm really looking forward to the later levels because I remember this being a vastly underrated sequel, and I only played through it once when I rented it.  I'm a huge fan of the three main Ecco games in fact, despite the first one being ridiculously hard in paces.
  • some of those games are going for quite some cash!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

If you can keep the CRT then do so - those older consoles need it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, gonna try and keep it. Might have to make room by getting rid of all the Edge mags!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yeah, gonna try and keep it. Might have to make room by getting rid of all the Edge mags!

Has it got an RGB SCART socket? Makes a big difference - it's usually labelled AV1 if you have more than one socket. Well worth getting RGB SCART leads for your old consoles.

• I use scart for my SNES, N64, Saturn and Mega Drive, they all look fine on my (32") HD LCD TV.

My Dreamcast uses VGA and looks lovely :-)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

To be fair I find that older consoles don't look as bad as many say they do on modern TVs. People may think the games look bad - but its probably more because of the age of the game rather than any issues with LCD or Plasma. If does seem to vary from TV to TV - I have a Sony 32" LCD which gives pretty good results. I use VGA with my DC too but for the others I still prefer to use a CRT.
  • Ditch the CRT, forget composite, scart and s-video. Get an XRGB Mini upscaler with scanlines and plug everything in with RGB21 (not the same as scart even though the plug looks similar).

Not sure what I'm on about? take a look at these pictures comparing Golden Axe on a MD with various video connections straight to LCD and then through a xrgb3 (the model before the mini).

RF straight to LCD
    3579083598_15ab5e201d_z.jpg

Composite straight to LCD
    3579081216_7a6337be96_z.jpg

RGB cable to xrgb 3 (upscanned and converted)
    3578273671_e60ac021e9_z.jpg

Upscanned and converted through RGB cable to xrgb 3 with scanlines
    3578271521_f51181a42e_z.jpg

Super Famicom, MD, Nes, Wii, Saturn.  They all looks fantastic through these boxes, they were designed for vintage consoles.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Since when are scanlines a good thing?

Edit: a device like that will also be adding more latency over and above what current flat panels introduce.

Fine for Golden Axe but I wouldn't want to play one of my DC shoot em ups through one.
  • davyK wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yeah, gonna try and keep it. Might have to make room by getting rid of all the Edge mags!
    Has it got an RGB SCART socket? Makes a big difference - it's usually labelled AV1 if you have more than one socket. Well worth getting RGB SCART leads for your old consoles.

Yes, and I do/always have. 

I'll look into that xRGB upscaler thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • the latency is minimal, i've got one of those for my 100 inch projector.

There is lag but it only effects games with utmost precision. For instance I can still get new records on super mario kart and some of the jumps are pixel perfect.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • If you want the least possible lag from an upscaler/scanline thingy then at the moment the slightly older XRGB3 would be best, it'll give you less than a frame lag.  Apparently 0.1 of a frame.

The current verdict on the XRGB mini is that lag is about 1.5 frames, really not bad at all and much better than most upscalers.  They are stil releasing firmware for it at the moment, 1.07 just came out, might be worth checking on the shmups forum as to what issues there are with the system if you're interested.

If you mostly play Dreamcast games then the xRGB mini is not for you anyway, it has no VGA input, only RGB21, Svideo, 2xhdmi and D-Terminal (component).  The XRGB3 has VGA inputs so would be better for Dreamcast.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I thnk this might be the best place to ask this; I'm trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the Spectrum.  It was a text adventure, based on a massive spaceship.  You could take the elevator to different floors, some of which were massive bio domes with rivers and streams.  You were alone, barring the occasional encounter with particularly unfriendly aliens who basically shot at you on sight, which made for interesting attempts to escape when you encountered them before finding a laser pistol.

Oh, I'm alo trying to remember the name of a game, also on the Spectrum, where you had to repair your spaceship.  You walked about screen by screen, I think you maybe had a jet-pack, and an inventory where he empty slots were signified by 'not a sausage' and similar 'comedy' phrases.

Not the best descriptions, I know, but I was really very young when I played them.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not confident of this at all but is the second one Starquake?
    Get schwifty.
  • Sega has apparently teased a spruced up NiGHTS image, which Eurogamer is assuming means an HD remake.  The thought of them ruining it with Kinect is making me shudder, but a lovingly crafted HD remake of the original is probably near the top of the list for me as far as remakes go.
  • It's probably just a track from the upcoming Sonic and Sega Superstars Racing Transformed. :-(
  • I'd love a HD remake of the original ,though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I think Nights should be left alone - they wouldn't be able to resist messing about with it and fucking it up. If I thought they would do a straight remake with the rough edges smoothed out and the Xmas disc content added it would be great - but they won't do that - it would have been a downloadable game by now if they were up for it.
  • Isn't that what they did for the PS2 version?

It was the Wii game they added a load of dull shite.
  • The Saturn is the only console I wish I'd never sold.  So many of my all-time favourite games.  I was going to list some of my favourites (Exhumed in particular was an exceptional game), but after Googling 'best Saturn games' to jog my memory I found this pretty good list, which I'm going to spend the next twenty minutes reading in wistful nostalgia mode.
  • Really disappointed to only own 29 games on that list (plus 3 that I used to own), although I have most of the top 20.

Athlete Kings should be MUCH higher than number 77, although the top 5 are all excellent choices.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Isn't that what they did for the PS2 version?

Never got hold of that - was it part of a Sega Ages release? Only have a PAL machine and I appreciate there's a shitload of stuff released in Japan we never got to see...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Really disappointed to only own 29 games on that list (plus 3 that I used to own), although I have most of the top 20.

Athlete Kings should be MUCH higher than number 77, although the top 5 are all excellent choices.

I've only 26 but the list is invalid because it mentions Magic Carpet which was a pile of shit with a draw distance of about 6 feet...Agree re Athlete Kings - excellent game - better than the Dreamcast remake (Virtua Athlete 2K)

• davyK wrote:

Never got hold of that - was it part of a Sega Ages release? Only have a PAL machine and I appreciate there's a shitload of stuff released in Japan we never got to see...

Yes, I was a Sega Ages release, I'm fairly sure Xmas NiGHTS was included, but I've never played the PS2 version because I've only got a PAL machine.

• I'd probably have Clockwork Knight 2 on the list too, it may have been short but it was quite under appreciated imo.  And Keio Flying Squadron 2.
  • davyK wrote:
    Really disappointed to only own 29 games on that list (plus 3 that I used to own), although I have most of the top 20.

I've only 26 but the list is invalid because it mentions Magic Carpet which was a pile of shit with a draw distance of about 6 feet...Agree re Athlete Kings - excellent game - better than the Dreamcast remake (Virtua Athlete 2K)

There were some fairly odd selections, tbh. No Winter Heat! :-(

I'm hoping to add Shining Force 3 to my collection fairly soon.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Yes, I was a Sega Ages release, I'm fairly sure Xmas NiGHTS was included, but I've never played the PS2 version because I've only got a PAL machine.

Sounds nice - there were a pile of Sega Ages discs for PS2 unlike Saturn which only got a handful (and only one in PAL land). Have a nice copy of Sega Ages Fantasy Zone for my JPN Saturn - lovely game.

• I was pleased to see the awesome Death Tank Zwei on there (shame the XBLA update was overpriced, I was hoping everyone would buy it)

And Baku Baku too, really cool game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!