Retro Gaming
  • Thanks Reg. very kind of you to say so.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I'll check postage costs and let you know, dude. Want any VM units or controllers??? Might have one lying around.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've still got 2 of those dreamcast sticks, absolutely fantastic, the gates aren't the best but still really well built and responsive.

Had to sell my dreamcast lightgun though, couldn't see myself keeping a crt just to play lightgun game on :(
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'll check postage costs and let you know, dude. Want any VM units or controllers??? Might have one lying around.

That'd be excellent, thank you very much.

I've got about eight VMs and five controllers, so I'd be okay, thank you.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hey... If there's a vm going...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hey... If there's a vm going...

I'll check and let you know!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have a couple of those and a vibro unit thing still in its box.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    :()
  • Ive just picked up Micro Machines 96 on the mega drive but dont have an actual console yet.

Any advice you guys can give on buying one?
    Looked through eBay but seems a bit of a mine field in regards to getting a good one

Edit: just bought one. Mega Drive 2 boxed, 3 controllers, 6-in-1 game, Mickey game and some fifa rubbish. £30.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    t'would be greedy of me to ask for another stick since I have 3 of 'em.

I got a load of new VMUs off Amazon for dirt cheap and while back (and rumble packs too) - may still be available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dreamcast+vmus

One of these arrived today - for the discerning retro head with a CRT:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/thor-6-way-av-control-centre.html

I've had issues using cheap SCART blocks as they can push current down into other consoles - when I use my Japanese Saturn it lights up the power LED on my Gamecube and Megadrive - which can't be good!

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ive just picked up Micro Machines 96 on the mega drive but dont have an actual console yet.

Any advice you guys can give on buying one?
    Looked through eBay but seems a bit of a mine field in regards to getting a good one

Edit: just bought one. Mega Drive 2 boxed, 3 controllers, 6-in-1 game, Mickey game and some fifa rubbish. £30.

Once I got a modded Megadrive with RGB out and 50/60Hz switch I realised what a bad deal Sega gave us in PAL land - you really should try and get one or see if you can get that console modded.
  • My Mega Drive is modded too, not all games work with it switched to 60Hz though.

I was impressed to see that my Master System converter did. It's not quite full screen, but I found Sonic to be far too quick for me.
  • Yeah saw some videos on youtube about that, will see how it goes.

Now does anyone remember the level select cheat for Sonic 2, I know it was on the sfx sampler in the options menu. It started 19, 64, 7, 17.... IRC

edit: so close twas 19,65,9,17
  • It was Yuji Naka's date of birth, btw.
  • Well atleast my card would have got there early
  • any of you got a wildcard or anything of that ilk?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • My lovely GBA collection, pretty much the only system I've ever really been a proper collector of (boxes and manuals in the loft before anyone panics):

img2012062101157.jpg

Column by column from left to right:

Super Puzzle Fighter, F-Zero, Mario 3/Mario Advance 4, Scurge, Racing Gears, Shining Force, Gradius Galaxies, Denki Blocks, Contra Advance, Hajime No Ippo, Advance Wars 2, Spiderman Mysterio's Menace, Castlevania Doublepack, Baseball Advance, Finding nemo, Mario World/Mario Advance 2, Guardian heroes Advance, Namco Museum, Yoshi's Island/Mario Advance 3, Medal of Honour Infiltrator, Metroid Fusion, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream, Kuru Kururin Paradise, Kuru Kuru Kururin (these two are genuinely up there with the best handhelf games ever imo), Klonoa, Advance Wars, Sega Arcade Pack, Golden Sun, Riviera, Zelda LTTP, Tactics Ogre, V rally 3, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Road Rash Jailbreak, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ninja Cop, James Pond II: Robocod, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Astro Boy :heart:, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Final Fantasy Tactics, Donkey Kong Country 3, Sonic Advance 3, Splinter Cell, Moto Racer, Iridion 2, Columns Crown, Kirby's Dreamland, Klonoa 2, Game & Watch Gallery, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Donkey Kong Country 2, Sonic Advance 2 (brilliant Sonic game), Go Go Beckham, Phalanx, Wade Hixton's Counterpunch, Polarium Advance, Super Monkey Ball Jr, Zelda Minish Cap, Rayman 3, Warioland 4, Capcom Classics, Super Bust a Move, Metal Slug, Donkey Kong Country, Wario Ware, Rayman 3, House of the Dead Pinball, Tony Hawks 2, Wario Ware Twisted, Drill Dozer.  Double Dragon, Sonic Advance, Chu Chu Rocket, Lady Sia, Mario Kart, Konami Racers, Mr. Driller, Broken Sword and Final Fight have been lent out and not yet returned.

I think I'm ready to start collecting again, so other than Fire Emblem, Metroid Zero Mission, Final Fantasy VI, Guru Logi Champ (and a few sequels to games mentioned), can anyone think of any decent games I'm missing?  I'm not bothered with rare stuff, just games that would be good to play.
  • mario kart super circuit. Thats a solid list. Pokemon?

edit - and harvest moon? friends of mineral town
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I just added Mario Kart to the games I'm hoping I've lent out but can't find.  Harvest Moon is a good shout.  I've never played a Pokemon game, I probably should.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Was just about to suggest Mineral Town.  What about Golden Sun: The Lost Age?
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm sure it's a great game but I wouldn't play it, as I haven't played the first one past the first hour yet.  Might buy it for the shelf though, I like the idea of completing my sets.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Golden Sun games are Brill
  • there's a marble madness/klax cart somewhere. Megaman? I always wanted that.

Also, i never played it but i always wanted to play james pond: codename robocod because I had it on the amiga 500 and wondered if it still stood the test of time (like games like bombjack)
  • Robocod hasn't really stood the test of time, it's a bit long and some of the level design is crap.  There are far better platformers to spend three hours on, but I did enjoy it on the Megadrive when I had it originally.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Always wanted Warioware Twisted, Contra, Drill Dozer, Ninja Cop and a few others.

I quite enjoyed

Lost Vikings
    Boktai
    Sigma Star Saga
    Rebelstar Tactical Command
    Onimusha Tactics
    Invader
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Mega Drive is modded too, not all games work with it switched to 60Hz though.

I haven't come across a game that needs to switch to 50Hz yet. Having said that I don't have that many MD games. Have a region switch too which can change the game title screen - it affects Toki and Raiden Trad for example.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I always wanted to try Boktai- that's the sunlight game innit?
  • Birdorf wrote:
    Always wanted Warioware Twisted, Contra, Drill Dozer, Ninja Cop and a few others. I quite enjoyed Lost Vikings Boktai Sigma Star Saga Rebelstar Tactical Command Onimusha Tactics Invader

I did quite a bit of research during my first bout of collection fever, but I can honestly say I've never heard of Onimusha Tactics.

Edit: FFS, they've all been sitting in a shoebox but somehow loads are missing.  That genuinely decent Spyro side scroller has gone walkabout too.
  • lost vikings was on the gba?

Also, slightly off topic but how do you find your micro. I wanted one for ages and then got one as my DSL was wearing a bit thin. I love the look of it but i found it too small, i've got reasonably big hands and they just dwarf the machine to the point its not comfortable to hit L and R. Obv love the brightness though.

what were contra and driver 2 like?
  • mk64 wrote:
    there's a marble madness/klax cart somewhere. Megaman? I always wanted that. Also, i never played it but i always wanted to play james pond: codename robocod because I had it on the amiga 500 and wondered if it still stood the test of time (like games like bombjack)

The Amiga version was awesome, other versions were shit in comparison. Which version is the advance one ported from? Either way bet it doesnt have penguins anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!