Retro Gaming
  • MK: The GB Micro is my favourite console ever.  I certainly don't find it too small. 

Liveinadive: No Penguins, it's a bit too fast and it's all a bit zoomed in.  From what I played it's not a great port, doesn't look like they've just converted the MD one though.
  • No penguins is the cut off for me, how am I supposed to know which biscuit to eat while playing?
  • its interesting to hear someone say the gba was your fav ever.

It probably has the biggest gaming catelogue of any machine (just a guesstimate). Which version of the gba do you have? I hated having to play the original under a light or usb lamp thing. The SP was nice though but the screen still so small :(
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No penguins is the cut off for me, how am I supposed to know which biscuit to eat while playing?

Penguins or Chupa Chups for platformers, Quavers for puzzle games.  It's the rule of Amiga.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The SP was fab, but the Micro is a thing of pure gadget beauty.
    Get schwifty.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No penguins is the cut off for me, how am I supposed to know which biscuit to eat while playing?
    Penguins or Chupa Chups for platformers, Quavers for puzzle games.  It's the rule of Amiga.
    Accompanying sticker books are also crucial.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Got a GBA and an SP but not a Micro. Feel I'm missing out. Sigh - back to eBay I go
  • mk64 wrote:
    its interesting to hear someone say the gba was your fav ever.

I meant it's my favourite console design-wise, but I'd actually put the GBA in my overall top three anyway.  It's how I played many of the SNES classics for the first time, and also had a number of superb original games.
  • Shiiiiiiit

Ive bought a mega drive, 3 pads and 7 games today and Im bidding on an infrared controller. I have about 10 games in mind to buy soon too.

This will not become a collection, this will NOT become a collection!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What's the going rate for a boxed micro? About £25?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I always wanted to try Boktai- that's the sunlight game innit?

Yeah.  I've considered getting it a few times but it's not cheap.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    What's the going rate for a boxed micro? About £25?

I paid £38 for mine a couple of years ago.  Was mint though.  Check out the Famicom one Reg.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Onimusha's not a patch on FF Tactics, but still quite enjoyable.

More games I enjoyed are

Steven Gerrard's Total Soccer
    Castlevania Circle of the Moon (my favourite one)
    Max Payne

I have a Pokemon Sapphire SP. (but not for much longer)
  • I have GBA and Micro. Stupidly sold my Zelda SP when I was desperate for cash one time. 

Another shout for Circle of the Moon. One of my favourite in the series, and the best one on GBA. 

The Micro is gorgeous indeed. 

Haven't read the entire list of games you have, Moot, but do you have Astro Boy? Great game.

Edit: yes, you even hearted it in your list.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • are there any decent shmups like rtype or things like guardian hero on gba?

i heard madden is ok for a portable... its a stretch though
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Guardian Heroes Advance (bit of a let down but still decent).  Double Dragon is excellent on GBA, as is the Ubisoft TMNT scrolling beat 'em up.  Good Final Fight port too. 

Iridion 2 and Gradius Galaxies are the best shmups I've played on it, it's not particularly well stocked in that genre. 

My copy of Gunstar Heroes Advance is missing too, fuck knows what I've done with all the games I can't find.
  • i think i bought my micro for DD. Its one of my favourite series ever and one of the closest to the original as a port.

FF is ok, the sequel was also released?

Also, can't be arsed to go through the list again but super street fighter 2 turbo rival? Its good if you play 2 player with someone*

*akuma is broken though as you can spam his double fireball and win everytime.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Micro's great, perhaps the most portable gaming device ever. You can fit it in a pocket that already contains something else like a wallet if you want. I sold all my Game Boy stuff to get one on the day it came out (or thereabouts). Kinda regret getting rid of my Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Silver carts though...
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gradius Advance was decent.
    Get schwifty.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Extremely decent.
  • @Moot_Geezer

I'd agree with you about Kuru Kuru Kururin. A brilliant game.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK wrote:
    My Mega Drive is modded too, not all games work with it switched to 60Hz though.

I haven't come across a game that needs to switch to 50Hz yet. Having said that I don't have that many MD games. Have a region switch too which can change the game title screen - it affects Toki and Raiden Trad for example

I'm pretty sure Gunstar Heroes (amongst others) doesn't work.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Rendering Ranger is currently at £498. WTF. 

Lufia, which I am after, is at £102. Fuck sake.

Edit: on eBay.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I bought a copy of 688 Attack Sub for the Mega Drive and it arrived today. I had to buy a physical copy because you basically need to read the manual to play it properly and I couldn't find a scan of it anywhere.
  • If Gradius Advance is the same as Galaxies, then I though it was awful.  Stupid speed up gaps (either too slow or too fast, tedious music, boring levels).

I'm tempted to get a Micro as that had the back lit screens whereas my SP is side lit - and looks terrible in comparison.

I fancy another run through Metroid Fusion.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i have an sp and the GBA player for the GC but haven't got much in the way of games - I only got the SP to play Pacman Vs.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The Micro's great, perhaps the most portable gaming device ever. You can fit it in a pocket that already contains something else like a wallet if you want. I sold all my Game Boy stuff to get one on the day it came out (or thereabouts). Kinda regret getting rid of my Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Silver carts though...

I have a CIB Pokemon Blue if you are interested.....though it does seem to go for a decent price on eBay.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I won't have my Pokemon on it though. The Pokemon of my childhood that are gone forever. :(
  • I've got James Pond Robocod on SFC and Megadrive in Japanese, took freaking ages to find.  Still love it, although clearly the Amiga version was best, followed by SFC, the MD version is pretty poor.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Don't forget the Acorn computer version! Wasn't there an extra thing to do with some water board too?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I won't have my Pokemon on it though. The Pokemon of my childhood that are gone forever. :(

ah - ok - I always fancied having a look at the likes of Pokemon Stadium but felt it wasn't worth the effort since I didn't play the GB games enough to build my monsters up.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!