• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :) Nice.   (re the PS2 startup screen)

Meanwhile just tried out the retro-bit N64 controller.

Very nice pad though the wireless dongle's connector is a bit tight in the controller port.  Downside? It fucked up my 3rd party memory pak with 20 year old game saves on it. And doesn't work with it even after formatting it.  Works with the official one I have.

So my BAM2 best times and Wetrix scores etc are blown away. The BAM2 time trial records hurt the most as they were pegged when Wifey and I really caned the game. Represented nice memories. :(

Anyhow - I really should have had them backed up on my official cart. Still. Nice pad. Rumble works well. Tried it on F-Zero and felt sweet. Though I'm so hard wired for drift left being the trigger on the original pad instead of the lower left shoulder button that I screwed up a few times. But I'd adjust to that without too much trouble.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Most games I own now are on-cart backups but it might be worth picking one of those up.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Legally they would be ok but that doesn't stop a Mumsnet revolt. {...} Same as what happened to the Edge forum really, then this badger place appeared full of the worst degenerates.

Also, that police report on me was obtained under duress.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message

Nice.

Also, if you're willing to do a bit of soldering, you can turn your Wii mini into... a regular Wii. (But no GameCube stuff, natch.)

Geezer in the video reckons that Nintendo left most of the wifi stuff on the Wii mini motherboard because it was a last minute decision, but I think it's probably more likely that Nintendo just removed the components to save money, and then didn't change the motherboard so they wouldn't have to design and make a whole new component.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't realise the Wii mini had no Wifi or SD cart slot. I thought it was just minus GC BC.  Didn't know about the flip top drive either!  :)
  • Got two of them.
    Picked up the first because it was cheaper than buying the Wiimote seperately. The second I inherited from my grandparents, no idea why there was one in their house but there ya go. My Grandpa was a gamer but mainly RTS and CoD.

Its an interesting curio but there is very little reason to buy one of these over the many, many second hand normal Wiis available. Not really sure why anyone would bother to mod one other than for the sake of doing so which I realise for some is enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I softmodded my Wii and installed the Homebrew Channel. Then I deleted it as I'm a fuckwit.

I can't rerun the letterbomb hack now to get it back. Just doesn't work. No big deal. Just saying. I think MKWii online is still active via it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Didn't realise the Wii mini had no Wifi or SD cart slot. I thought it was just minus GC BC.  Didn't know about the flip top drive either!  :)

I knew it was sans wifi and GC stuff. I think even later models of the OG Wii had no GameCube gubbins - the flap on the side didn't open up. But the SD card was news to me.

Aesthetically, I quite like the Wii mini. If only the Wii could play DVDs, I probably would have bought a mini.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    But an original in black... chefskiss.gif
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Fancy that with matching wiimote and nunchuck. Have a black pro controller.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    With red controllers for player 2.

Smexy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    oooooohhh
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Meant to say. Last night testing the new N64 controller was a joy. BustAMove 2 on the CRT with a crisp RGB SCART image is gorgeous.  Just looking at the options screen is wonderful. Beautiful colours.

and F-Zero X. God what a game.  Noticed the JP version has small borders the same size as the PAL port - so that PAL port is quite something. Although the JP version runs a tad quicker (only know that from a YT comparison video - doesn't feel it).  Looks great. Plays great.  Have the X Cup unlocked and Master levels to beat.

If a game needs a modern redux it's this with online, leaderboards etc. But I doubt it will ever be recreated properly.

And dear lord that JP box art.  I honestly think if I had to keep one game from my entire collection it would be this.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Apologies if it's been asked before, but does that pad have rumble? I see that the receiver has a port for a memory card, which is clever, but that means you can't use a rumble pak with the pad itself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It does have built in rumble. There's a switch on the receiver that changes between memory pak and rumble mode. Can't have both at the same time sadly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah, that's pretty cool. Makes sense given the original hardware, having to choose between the two. Not perfect, but better than having to physically swap two paks over.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's well though out. Just wish the connector wasn't quite so tight when plugging it in. Nice job though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hidden practice and 2P versus modes found in Super Punch Out!!!  Works in all versions.

• Read that earlier, absolutely mind blowing how something like that can go unknown for 28 years!

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Why would you hide a two-player mode?
  • It's going to be very unbalanced. All the computer controlled boxers have tells before they throw a punch to give the player a chance at countering. But the 1P character doesn't have those. 
    I'm not sure how well it could work in 2 player. Probably fun as a novelty. But the game would need to be reworked a lot for it to meet the consumer expectations of a 2P early 90s fighting game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I suspect it was used as a test mode. The single player practice mode is more useful.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I suspect it was used as a test mode.

This seems reasonable.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    SG-1000, Master System and Game Gear cores have been released for Analogue Pocket.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I can see the SG-1000 MyCards and GameGear carts working OK, but wouldn't the Master System carts be a bit.... bulky?

Tempted by the Analogue Pocket (with the GameGear and Neo Geo Pocket gubbins), but every video I've seen on YouTube just shits all over it. :/
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I can see the SG-1000 MyCards and GameGear carts working OK, but wouldn't the Master System carts be a bit.... bulky?
    Keeping it real.
    FQvGJi9.jpg
  • I love how every single accessory for the Game Gear ploughs straight through the Goldblum could and should zone.
  • They should have released a Rapid Fire Unit adaptor.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Keeping it real.

I wanted that so bad as a kid. But the mahoosiveness of the carts was balanced by the GameGear being a chonky boy. The Analogue Pocket is much more svelte.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!