Retro Gaming
  • Is the sinden lightgun project the one that works on modern TVs? Might try to pick one up if so.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. It's a sick concept.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If one can get the Sega gun games working on an emulator and that emu is compatible with it then it's a big win.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The original Virtua Cop is light gun perfection for me. There's tons of other great ones spanning 1995 to 2005ish, it really was a golden era for the genre. I also have a huge soft spot for Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley on the NES. As far as light gun games go though, the less said about the 16-Bit era the better.

Had To The Earth on NES. It was a good game but it was just too effing hard. :)  Think I got to the level 2 boss. Duck Hunt is a classic.

The only other home light guns games I've really played a lot of have been VC1+2 on Saturn and HoTD2 on Dreamcast.

I bought Confidential Mission off someone here for DC. I have yet to spend any real time with it but from what I played of it it's a cracker too.

I got a lot of fake light gun entertainment on Wii - HoTD2+3, Overkill, Ghost Squad and the under-rated Zelda Crossbow Training are excellent. I have Dead Space Extraction, the Res Evil games and the LA Machine gun game pack too but haven't spent a great deal of time on those. But they all feel solid.

• davyK wrote:
    The original Virtua Cop is light gun perfection for me. There's tons of other great ones spanning 1995 to 2005ish, it really was a golden era for the genre. I also have a huge soft spot for Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley on the NES. As far as light gun games go though, the less said about the 16-Bit era the better.

Had To The Earth on NES. It was a good game but it was just too effing hard. :)  Think I got to the level 2 boss.

To the Earth was one of the four light gun games I had as a kid (the fourth was Gumshoe).

It was indeed bastard hard, and retrospective youtube reviews have only backed up my opinion back then that it was... a bit shit.

I sold it as part of my NES cull to put towards a SNES, one I did not regret selling.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I got a lot of fake light gun entertainment on Wii - HoTD2+3, Overkill, Ghost Squad and the under-rated Zelda Crossbow Training are excellent. I have Dead Space Extraction, the Res Evil games and the LA Machine gun game pack too but haven't spent a great deal of time on those. But they all feel solid.

Fake is the right word, it's as good as we've got in the HDTV era, but it'll never quite match up to the true 1:1 aiming experience.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This playthrough suggests to me that the game wasn't possible with the zapper trigger - the rapid fire needed in the final level is mental

• Yeah, the reviews I've seen since suggests it's was a bit of a broken mess.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a chance the PAL port might have been worse if the framerate was butchered.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When you paid £30 for a game back then you gave it every chance...   :(
  • Blimey. Been a while... Hope you're well. :]

Hello sir! Not too bad hope you are too!

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is the sinden lightgun project the one that works on modern TVs? Might try to pick one up if so.

Yep it does, works best on PC. It essentially becomes a mouse, so it's really easy to get working on emulators. I've been playing all the virtual cops and house if the dead with 1:1

And yes, Wii gun games are shite you can't even emulate them with 1:1 aiming.

I've even got the arcade only time crisis 5 and hotd 5 working:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1529081573

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I knew Wii games were a compromise but I always got on with them OK I have to say. Likely because I'm not good enough for head shots, justice shots etc.  :)
  • Tbf some are half decent as they were designed with it in mind, but obviously you'll always have a crosshair. Quite liked links crossbow game.

I just CBA with the playing the ogs like house of the dead on there. Some parts require super fast aiming etc
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You can turn the crosshair off in some games - Ghost Squad enforces it in some modes. But I'm guessing it is still driving the cross hair and you just don't see it.

I wonder if M+ had better tracking of the pointing function. Guess we will never know now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    If you need something to do this afternoon, may I recommend https://consolevariations.com ?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK wrote:
    You can turn the crosshair off in some games - Ghost Squad enforces it in some modes. But I'm guessing it is still driving the cross hair and you just don't see it.

I wonder if M+ had better tracking of the pointing function. Guess we will never know now.

Yeah but if you don't have the crosshair how will you know where you are aiming?

• Some one tell me I'd be mental to buy this for the games room

https://www.game.co.uk/en/arcade1up-dragons-lair-2872962
    The Forum Herald™
  • This is where I'd usually say follow your dreams but in this instance I can't.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    You can turn the crosshair off in some games - Ghost Squad enforces it in some modes. But I'm guessing it is still driving the cross hair and you just don't see it. I wonder if M+ had better tracking of the pointing function. Guess we will never know now.
    Yeah but if you don't have the crosshair how will you know where you are aiming?

I was able to aim OK by eye using the zapper shell. It must have been close enough. It was one of the challenge modes that imposed no crosshair. Must check it out again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Some one tell me I'd be mental to buy this for the games room https://www.game.co.uk/en/arcade1up-dragons-lair-2872962

You would be mental because the "game" is a load of old shit.  You can get it on DVD (likely BluRay now).

I remember when it appeared in the arcade. Drawing huge crowds. There was a 2nd monitor on top of the cabinet for spectators. 1983. I was 17 - had an O level in Computer Studies (back then you had to be able to write code to get an O level - now it seems you only need to know how to use MS Office) and instantly I could see exactly how it worked leaving me completely nonplussed. Even then "full motion video" was something that did not attract me. I looked at the people shaking their heads at this magical machine - I felt like shouting at them it was only a bloody video disc player.  I remember trying it once just to confirm my theory weeks later when the crowds died down. Fucking 50p a go. A fucking quid for 5 lives - in 1983. 

"Play" consisted of watching short sequences of animation with load times lasting longer than the clips - with what are now called QTE trial and error tests every few seconds sapping away your lives. Even the life loss animation had a load screen before it.

I walked away content that I was right and never went near it again.

It gets points for nostalgia for those who liked it I suppose. But its echoes in modern day cut scenes makes me grind my teeth.  And. A fucking arcade game with fucking load times

Loadtimes could be dispensed with in these modern times of course. But that would expose the game even more for what it is.

The art style is gorgeous of course. But you can watch it stitched together on a DVD or YT.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    If you need something to do this afternoon, may I recommend https://consolevariations.com ?

Heh. Nintendo love their variations.   I fancy that early Breakout console. :)

There's someone in Greece selling one claiming it works. Thought getting it to work in Europe would be a challenge with TV standards presuming it's RF output.
  • davyK wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Some one tell me I'd be mental to buy this for the games room https://www.game.co.uk/en/arcade1up-dragons-lair-2872962
    You would be mental because the "game" is a load of old shit.  You can get it on DVD (likely BluRay now). I remember when it appeared in the arcade. Drawing huge crowds. There was a 2nd monitor on top of the cabinet for spectators. 1983. I was 17 - had an O level in Computer Studies (back then you had to be able to write code to get an O level - now it seems you only need to know how to use MS Office) and instantly I could see exactly how it worked leaving me completely nonplussed. Even then "full motion video" was something that did not attract me. I looked at the people shaking their heads at this magical machine - I felt like shouting at them it was only a bloody video disc player.  I remember trying it once just to confirm my theory weeks later when the crowds died down. Fucking 50p a go. A fucking quid for 5 lives - in 1983.  "Play" consisted of watching short sequences of animation with load times lasting longer than the clips - with what are now called QTE trial and error tests every few seconds sapping away your lives. Even the life loss animation had a load screen before it. I walked away content that I was right and never went near it again. It gets points for nostalgia for those who liked it I suppose. But its echoes in modern day cut scenes makes me grind my teeth.  And. A fucking arcade game with fucking load times Loadtimes could be dispensed with in these modern times of course. But that would expose the game even more for what it is. The art style is gorgeous of course. But you can watch it stitched together on a DVD or YT.

Yeah.. that's done the trick.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The others are quite solid from what I hear.

The size might be an issue as they are not full size - depends on the size of you and anyone else for 2P.  :)

It's easy to forget how big classic cabs were. My Asteroids is a beast.
  • I'd like to pick up a genuine old cabinet.. but I'm guessing a lot of them aren't going to be in great nick anymore.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dragons Lair is indeed shit.

Only FMV game worth giving any time is Road Avenger imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Played through the XBLA version of Dragons Lair which has an easy mode that adds frames for decision making. Even then it is an exercise in frustration.
    Stick to YouTube
  • It also had button prompts that I don't think are in the original.
  • Dragons Lair is indeed shit.

Only FMV game worth giving any time is Road Avenger imo.

You clearly have never played ground zero Texas!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!