Retro Gaming
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You can't watch Neighbours on it any more though.

I know. Absolutely gutted.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    My dad just dropped off haul of the century he found for me. The boxes are all good to near mint to mint. All have manuals, many look unopened. Game Gear has the usual screen problem so I will have to look at fixing that.
    Spoiler:

Sweet zombie jeebus, that's incredible.

I'm jealous at 39. If you'd shown me that picture when I was seven and hooked to my Game Gear like it was a life support machine, I probably would have spontaneously combusted.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never played the GG nor was I tempted by it , being a non handheld lover. But that is quite the haul.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • For a fiver I'm happy just looking at the box art.
  • I was all Sega all the way to (whenever FFVII came out...late 1997?) but I never had a Game Gear. Even as a kid I just thought the battery life killed it (plus I had a Master System, and a good portion of the library was shared). Those GG Shinobi games are good shit though, finally played a few years ago.
  • Is the Donald Duck game in the pic The Lucky Dime Caper? One of young me's faves. Top tunes. Was tough for a Disney.
  • Yeah that's Lucky Dime Caper

I had a GG as a kid, still have it actually with the same screen fault.
    I didn't have many games for it but I did enjoy it. It wasn't a portable really though because of the battery life and cost of batteries back then. I only really ever played it plugged into the wall.

Never had the TV Tuner back in the day but I remember being at a family thing and my cousin's cousins having it and watching a Man U game on it. Insanely cool back then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A fiver. Bonkers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    A fiver. Bonkers.

That's what I can't get over. I'd pay twice that at least for one of the carts.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'd love to give my dad a budget and the task of finding what he thinks are the biggest videogame bargains at a succession of boot sales.
  • He'd probably buy a random LCD game just so he could remind me that I lost the battery cover to Burger Time in the 80s.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Snow Bros got a release on Switch. It's a splendid game (was a MAME favorite of mine and recently sampled the excellent MD version), and this is an upgrade with 30 extra new levels -  but £13?
  • Seems a bit much but there are far more shocking prices out there for spruced up standalone retro releases. I'm off work tomorrow so I might compile a FUN guessing game on rerelease prices.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If i was well into it and had a mate who was the same for 2player then it's worth it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stick a handful onto a cart and I would bite.
  • So I forgot I backed the sinden lightgun project in 2018, and now I have what seem to be two awesome lightguns for my pc.

Got MAME and a sega m2 emulator running well, 2 player and have been rinsing virtua cop and HOTD.

Have also managed to get some more recent gun games running (time crisis 5, hotd scarlet dawn and operation ghost) and kinda amazed to see how good some of these arcade only games are.

Scarlet dawn test:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1529081573

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1524945409
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds and looks splendid @Smang.

This month's Retro Gamer (which I rarely read but picked up on a whim) has a best light gun game article. It puts Ghost Squad at the top.
  • But it doesn't contain the first Virtua Cop ergo wrongo.
  • Haven't gotten around to that one yet. operation ghost - think it's the sequel and both seem to be spiritual sequels to virtua cop. Also who is spang
  • Also if it doesn't mention lucky and wild it can gtfo
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    But it doesn't contain the first Virtua Cop ergo wrongo.

Yeah - I prefer VC1 to 2 myself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    Haven't gotten around to that one yet. operation ghost - think it's the sequel and both seem to be spiritual sequels to virtua cop. Also who is spang

Heh.....corrected that. I'm too old for this typing shit.
  • No worries G not the first time I've been spanged.

I have to put my hand up for virtua cop 2, as it was ahead of it's.time with a female officer as p2. #virtuatoo
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VC2 is great. I preferred the simplicity of VC1. I've only ever played them on Saturn mind.
  • The original Virtua Cop is light gun perfection for me.

There's tons of other great ones spanning 1995 to 2005ish, it really was a golden era for the genre.

I also have a huge soft spot for Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley on the NES.

As far as light gun games go though, the less said about the 16-Bit era the better.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • VC2 for me, but probably only because they had it at a bowling alley when I was a kid, and I went to a saturday morning bowling league for a summer so played it every week. Got to the point I could 1cc it consistently. Love that game.

Loved the first too ofc, but the sequel was just there at the right time for me.
  • I remember one of them at London trocadero in the 90s, was one of those giant screens that felt like 8t was taller than me and it was amazing. Can't recall if it was VC 1 or 2...
  • The original Virtua Cop is light gun perfection for me.

There's tons of other great ones spanning 1995 to 2005ish, it really was a golden era for the genre.

I also have a huge soft spot for Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley on the NES.

As far as light gun games go though, the less said about the 16-Bit era the better.

Yeah ive got the classics working, time crisis, T2, alien the gun, duck hunt, Hogan's etc.

Some of the more modern games 2005 - 2015 ish I've played for the first time are amazing, aliens extermination is a banger for sure

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blimey. Been a while... Hope you're well. :]
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Smang wrote:
    Also if it doesn't mention lucky and wild it can gtfo

It's in there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!