Retro Gaming
  • I'm in for the one and done but that sounds good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    BIOMOTOR UNITRON IS OUT ON SWITCH.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4730x6cn39hp33e9p9335sr3dqzss8ewuc7cq43x0s&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Has anyone played Andro Dunos?  Asking because the sequel looks legit (and had a very positive review in Retro Gamer).  Is the original a sleeper hit in cult shmup land?

I've got huge gaps in my shmup game knowledge but I know what I like the look of, and this does it for me.  Disappointing lack of co-op though, the original allowed a second player to join.  Minus a handful of points for resurrecting a forgotten title without a major feature.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Has anyone played Andro Dunos?  Asking because the sequel looks legit (and had a very positive review in Retro Gamer).

Putting out the @davyK signal now.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Has anyone played Andro Dunos?  Asking because the sequel looks legit (and had a very positive review in Retro Gamer).

Putting out the @davyK signal now.

Never heard of it!!!! That looks great though. Seems it was a NeoGeo game which would explain why I don't know it. Looks generic as most NeoGeo games are but when it's done as well as that looks to be it's not to be sniffed at. Will be checking it out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Looks generic as most NeoGeo games are...

Ban request.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

NeoGeo has some crackers - Viewpoint, Prehistoric Isle, Metal Slug, Windjammers and Bust-A-Move off the top of my head. But there's a pile of 2D fighters that look identikit to my ignorant eyes. Quite a few of the shmups are hori-won-and-dones too that don't have much in the way of interesting scoring systems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And sweet Lord that NES/PVM box. What a classy project that is.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You mentioned Metal Slug. Un-ban request.

I'd buy the NES PVM. Glorious wee thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched that review video. Andro Dunas 2 getting a Dreamcast release. Might pick that up. :)   Will probably get it on Steam before that - it looks really nice.
  • I picked up Shock Troppers on Switch, thats a very good NeoGeo game that's a bit under the radar.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Just watched that review video. Andro Dunas 2 getting a Dreamcast release. Might pick that up. :)   Will probably get it on Steam before that - it looks really nice.

I think it's the last official 3DS release too, although I'm basing that on the title of a video I didn't click on that also suggested the conversion was disappointing.

Might grab it on console this week, it's got a slight discount on Switch for another day or two and it's down to £10ish on PSN.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. Love me a bit of Saturn.
  • @Eric Formula Retro Racing is brilliant! It looks a bit budget compared to most games that go for the flat shaded approach and doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as Hotshots Racing (or the recent Virtua Racing port), but picking your spot for overtaking is bang on. In most racing games I tend to wish the other cars would just fuck off, but this is the first one I've played for a while where it's as much about biding your time, weaving and playing it smart as it is keeping a good race line/owning the track. Only four tracks in but I'm impressed so far. £4.60 on Switch atm...
  • It is really good isn't it! By far and away the best VR clone ever. I have to thank Ian for getting me hooked on it! I ended up getting pretty good at it but the last track on hardest is impossible to complete which was a bit disappointing (unless it's been patched). There is one really good chip tune too that I couldn't get out of my head.

The Monaco track is absolutely amazing fun to TT!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've been sailing through on beginner (with a quick rerun of the oval track on expert to get some unlock points) but I just placed 9th on the last track. Definitely a lot tougher. Quality little game. The music is doing my head in though, seems weird to hear bloopy chip tunes with these gfx, it strikes me as an era mismatch. Plus the toe-tappiest one sounds like it's from a shmup rather than a racer.
  • Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nice, looks good too. Presumably co-op because of all the blast processing .

Just browsing the EShop, I reckon the most unexpected rerelease award of the year might go to Zero Tolerance. 07/07/2022, £8.99. Can't think of much worse than playing a console FPS from that era these days tbh, but I remember it getting solid enough reviews.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cyber Stick for the Mega Drive Mini II.

y_62b08417a330b.0.jpeg
    The Verge wrote:
    You’ll be able to use the Cyber Stick controller with games like After Burner II (a jet fighter game), Night Striker (where you fly an armored car to shoot baddies), and Starblade (an on-rails space shooter), according to text on Amazon’s store page run through Google Translate.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47nk54gvb0rfrhl8v39p6a3x8610k5gb11onu98ms9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bit OTT for MD After Burner.    I can see something like that working great on Saturn. Think the Virtual On controller worked with that, Galaxy Force II and Space Harrier - on the JPN version at least.

s-l640.jpg

Still a jolly nice item though. Wouldn't say no. I have an MD Everdrive cart ordered. Feels like going over to the dark side.
  • I never know how to spell tutt (always heard it pronounced to rhyme with 'foot'), so I'll say tat instead. Might be a southerners thing. I can't imagine anyone getting their money's worth out of a peripheral that works with three average games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah.  Would be nice though. :)

The word is tat as far as I know.
  • Word is defo tat, and it definitely is tat.

I consider the PSVR tat, Astro Bot is a 10 but little else has held my interest past the initial wow factor.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tut means the same as tat for sure, maybe it's a pronunciation thing.  I find older generations say toote
  • davyK wrote:
    I have an MD Everdrive cart ordered. Feels like going over to the dark side.

You'll love it. I got one for my NTSC N64 and sold my PAL system and collection for a pretty profit. Enough to even upgrade the NTSC unit to a HDMI mod.

The only negative is the front end UI, they're very bland and basic.

I've also got NES, SNES and MD mini's modded with a selection of 100-200 games each. They have lovely UI's, everything about them looks official even after adding games. I also have a PC Engine mini but it's yet to be hacked.

Oh I also modded my Wii so have about 40 GCN/Wii games on there.

I still have my NES and SNES physical collections, but outside of a few PS3 games I've got nothing but digital games.

It's great to declutter, but I doubt I'll get rid of my NES/SNES stuff anytime soon, too sentimental. On the plus side they don't seem to stop going up in value.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't have that many MD games so it really makes sense. MD shooters are completely crazy re pricing. I've got pretty much every SNES game I'd like and there's always emulation to check out a game anyhow.  But I love holding a controller and looking at a CRT. There is nothing quite like it. The MD in particular looks really warm on a CRT. An Everdrive is the best compromise one can get.
  • I just don't have the room for a CRT, I haven't owned one since about 2007ish.

I have a Super NT for my physical SNES games, that has some lovely options for HDTVs. I still have the original hardware to mind.

I'm at the stage where the minis and the HDMI modded N64 with scanlines look just as good to as OG HW on a CRT to me.

I'm sure if they're put side by side the difference would be noticeable, but outside of that I'll never know any better.

I guess ignorance is bliss, although I will admit I really fucking miss light gun games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As much as I like CRTs, it makes sense for me to consider getting an OSSC. There's a Pro version now. All my consoles are RGB SCART (except for the 2600) so it makes sense. The 2600 is very rarely played - if I got 2600 controllers for PC (inc. paddles) I'd likely ditch it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!